Help with IXUS 220 HS (ELPH300HS) - PTP - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Help with IXUS 220 HS (ELPH300HS) - PTP

• 25 Replies
Help with IXUS 220 HS (ELPH300HS) - PTP
« on: 15 / May / 2012, 09:35:20 »
Advertisements
Hello,

I'm a french student, i discovered CHDK last week. I'm actually working on a project where i need to control an IXUS 220 HS with computer (in order to take photos and download them). And i need your help  :).
So i looked for some way to control the camera using USB command and i found PTP protocol. I wanted to use ptpcam or chdkptp, then i downloaded binaries and try to connect my camera to the PC using the USB wire. It appears that, as soon as i connect the camera to the PC the camera screen becomes black and the camera lens close.
However, the connection with ptpcam or chdkptp works and i can download photos from the camera to the PC. But i can't take photos, the camera lens stay close.
With chdkptp the error is : "error initializing live streaming: api is not compatible"
Does anybody know if it's possible to take photos using chdkptp with an IXUS 220 HS ?

Thank you for your help !

CHDK version : CHDK-DE 1.1.0          Revision : 994
Camera : ixus220_elph300hs
Firmware version : 101g

PS : I hope that i'm posting in the right place, sorry if it's not.
« Last Edit: 15 / May / 2012, 09:38:00 by VincentD »

Re: Help with IXUS 220 HS (ELPH300HS) - PTP
« Reply #1 on: 16 / May / 2012, 07:24:27 »
Hello and welcome.

as soon as i connect the camera to the PC the camera screen becomes black and the camera lens close.

camera is probably switching to 'Playback' mode.

But i can't take photos, the camera lens stay close.

You have to switch to Record mode to take photos.

I do not use CHDK or its PTP applications but try command 'mode 1' (or something similar) to switch to Record mode first.

David

« Reply #2 on: 16 / May / 2012, 11:08:40 »
Hello Microfunguy !

First of all, thank you for your response !  :)
I already tried to switch to record mode with chdkptp but it didn't work. I got a message saying something like "Script : x" (where x is a number).
However, i'm going to try again soon (i don't have the camera right now), maybe i did something wrong. I will tell you more after testing.
Thank you,

Vincent. :)

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 17 / May / 2012, 02:22:47 »
With chdkptp the error is : "error initializing live streaming: api is not compatible"
Just to be clear, this error only means that live view display will not work. All other functionality should be fine.
It appears that, as soon as i connect the camera to the PC the camera screen becomes black and the camera lens close
The screen going black may indicate that some windows service or software is interfering. See http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=4338.msg68620#msg68620
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #4 on: 17 / May / 2012, 11:08:42 »
Hello reyalp,

Thank you for your answer, it's might be something like this. I'm going to try blocking other services  :)

Thank you !

« Reply #5 on: 01 / June / 2012, 08:42:55 »
Hello again,

I just wanted to say that now i can take photos with the cameras. I just needed to use inf-wizard after installing libusb. (thank you reyalp for that !).  :)

Now my new problem is that it would be great if i could take synchronized photos connecting cameras with USB and PTP, I mean take photos with multiple cameras by sending a command. What i already try was to use a HUB (i thought that if i send a command, it would have been executed by each camera connecting to the HUB) but unfortunately it doesn't look as simple as that. Does anybody knows if it's possible to do it ?

Thank you for all your help,

VincentD

EDIT : I found a "solution" which consist in launching 2 chdk ptp using 2 programs. But the problem is that i got a 2 second delay between each shot. Moreover, i try to launch chdkptp.exe -c"-s="my_camera_id" -e"lua switch_mode_usb(1)" -e"lua shoot() ". But it just switch to record mode and i got an error "a script is already running". I have to wait the end of the first command before launching the next one.

EDIT2 : Ok so i'm just a noob, i just had to write "lua switch_mode_usb(1) shoot()" instead of separating the commands.
« Last Edit: 01 / June / 2012, 11:16:15 by VincentD »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #6 on: 01 / June / 2012, 15:53:47 »
EDIT : I found a "solution" which consist in launching 2 chdk ptp using 2 programs. But the problem is that i got a 2 second delay between each shot. Moreover, i try to launch chdkptp.exe -c"-s="my_camera_id" -e"lua switch_mode_usb(1)" -e"lua shoot() ". But it just switch to record mode and i got an error "a script is already running". I have to wait the end of the first command before launching the next one.
If you are up for some lua scripting, you can control multiple cameras with a single instance of chdkptp. See http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6231.msg81330#msg81330

You definitely cannot do this kind of thing with a hub, a distinct USB protocol connection to each device is required.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #7 on: 06 / June / 2012, 08:40:07 »
Hello reyalp,

Thank you very much for your help, i'm going to take a look on that topic.  :)

VincentD
« Last Edit: 06 / June / 2012, 09:37:08 by VincentD »

« Reply #8 on: 06 / June / 2012, 10:22:46 »
Hello again !

I tried the multicam and it's really what i needed ! =D
The only problem is that as soon as i switch to rec mode using "!mc:cmdwait("rec")" the cameras became crazy and starts taking a lot of shoots ! I took a look on multicam.lua and it didn't look to came from the rec function, because it just do a switch_mode_usb.

Thank you very much !

VincentD

EDIT : Another question, is it possible to launch a script which is on the camera using a chdkptp command ?
« Last Edit: 06 / June / 2012, 10:34:08 by VincentD »

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #9 on: 06 / June / 2012, 10:32:31 »
Hello again !

I tried the multicam and it's really what i needed ! =D
The only problem is that as soon as i switch to rec mode using "!mc:cmdwait("rec")" the cameras became crazy and starts taking a lot of shoots !
In case you're using "stable" (1.0) CHDK, try the development version: http://mighty-hoernsche.de/trunk/