SX40 with 100I, bootable - but only goes to "play" mode. Um...help? - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

SX40 with 100I, bootable - but only goes to "play" mode. Um...help?

• 2 Replies
Advertisements
Greetings!  First time caller, new listener. =D

I have an SX40IS with the 100I firmware, and have installed the appropriate version of CHDK stable.  The card has been set bootable as per the specs, and the card is now locked.  This is a 16GB PNY card of unknown class.

Just one problem - the camera still boots, but when the card is set to "locked", the camera will ONLY boot to "play" mode, so I cannot actually take photos with it. 

My guess is that the camera has decided that, because the card is locked, the camera should not be set to take pictures, ergo, here we go.  Unlocking the card has the desired effect (i.e., I can take pictures), but CHDK will not auto-boot if I do this.

To note, the one thing I did not do was actually format the card immediately before loading the firmware onto it, so the ver(s).req files were still in place on the card.  It is not clear if anything else was there.  Is this what is causing my issue?  If not, what has caused my issue, and does this mean I need to start from the top?

EDIT: changed brackets to parens in ver(s).req - darned web forum codes. =D

Re: SX40 with 100I, bootable - but only goes to "play" mode. Um...help?
« Reply #1 on: 14 / April / 2013, 23:26:21 »
Just one problem - the camera still boots, but when the card is set to "locked", the camera will ONLY boot to "play" mode, so I cannot actually take photos with it. 
This is normal with CHDK loaded.  To switch to shooting mode,  just half-press the shutter button (while not in CHDK <ALT> mode).  And if you want the camera to start in shooting mode, when you want to start the camera, press and hold the on/off button until you hear the lens extend (rather than just press & release).

HTH

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Re: SX40 with 100I, bootable - but only goes to "play" mode. Um...help?
« Reply #2 on: 15 / April / 2013, 00:37:06 »
*does this*

...mother of Bast, it works!

Mohter of Bast, look at those features!....