General EOS 40D development discussion - page 3 - DSLR Hack development - CHDK Forum

General EOS 40D development discussion

• 169 Replies
Re: General EOS 40D development discussion
« Reply #20 on: 12 / September / 2008, 15:59:57 »
Advertisements
Wow wow  :D
I haven't been there for a few weeks, and things are going on now...
Feel good to see that !

And well by the way,
i own a 40D,
i'm still needing AF-adjustement,
and if risks are defined, i'm willing to help !

Let me know : )

« Reply #21 on: 13 / September / 2008, 22:10:14 »
hey great stuff going on here guys ! i was wondering does the video wobble like the d90 ? and could it shoot 24fps ? and have full access to manual features such as iso, shutter speeds and exposure locks ? How is it actually recording ? direct from what the lens see or from does it records the Live View data ? Can it record in hd ? 1280x720 is good enough . and one more thing could AF be activated ? Sorry for the many questions. Wish i could help in some way ... does my knowledge in c++ oop helps one bit ? hahaha.  Currently owning a 400d but am deciding to go either for the 40d or d90 for my next upgrade. Thanks !!

« Reply #22 on: 14 / September / 2008, 02:02:57 »
Heres my take to this: Auto ISO fully configurable (user can set min and max ISO used)
Extended Exposure Comp. (+- 4 EV)
Bracketing more flexible (No of shots, parameter variation)
Maybe it could be possible to reprogram the Basic modes, to let the user store all relevant parameters, similar to the C1..C3 buttons)? This way I could make useful settings to Landscape, Portrait etc. modes and they would be easy to find, too. Currently I am using the C1..C3 for individual shooting situations, normally just a variation of one parameter (most of the time ISO). I have to delete and reprogram these settings often, but I would love to be able to store my standard Portrait, AL, Landscape too, without all the limitations Canon put in these modes.
Micro adjusting a must! If any possible, maybe this can allow for different settings for different length on zoom lenses, like a correction for wide, medium and tele)?
Alternative use of the dreaded direct print button.
Video mode is welcome, but no priority for me.

Offline DataGhost

• EOS 40D, S5IS
    • DataGhost.com
« Reply #23 on: 14 / September / 2008, 03:45:57 »
Maybe it could be possible to reprogram the Basic modes, to let the user store all relevant parameters, similar to the C1..C3 buttons)? This way I could make useful settings to Landscape, Portrait etc. modes and they would be easy to find, too. Currently I am using the C1..C3 for individual shooting situations, normally just a variation of one parameter (most of the time ISO). I have to delete and reprogram these settings often, but I would love to be able to store my standard Portrait, AL, Landscape too, without all the limitations Canon put in these modes.

Alternative use of the dreaded direct print button.
Good one! I guess this is fairly possible... just as the mode dial lock... as soon as I'm able to override the mode set by the mode dial, I can lock the basic modes in P/Tv/Av/M and all that remains is finding a way of setting the other settings :) I'll add it to the starting post.

Direct print button will probably be used to enter some sort of alt mode but I could make it configurable for other stuff as well. If I'm able to 'insert' the program into the official menus, I probably won't have to use that button so I can make it programmable.

« Reply #24 on: 14 / September / 2008, 05:38:04 »
Fantastic work guys!!!

Here's my requests:

- Fully Customizable Basic Zones positions
- AEB to 9 shots
- Auto ISO with Minimum Shutter Speed and Maximum ISO settings
- Contrast detect focusing
- 100% zoom in Liveview mode in addition to 5x and 10x
- Micro adjustment
- Video
- Interval timer shooting
- 4s timer (2s not long enough for Tripod)
- Programmable Direct Print

Auto ISO mode details:

Minimum Shutter Speed can be specified in two different ways:
1) as an absolute value
2) as a multiplier of the focal length, (0.2, 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10)
e.g. If you set a multiplier of 0.5, then 100mm will force 1/50th second or faster, 250mm will force 1/125th second or faster.

P-mode behavior changes in Auto ISO mode:
Aperture is set in the same way as for Av mode, but unlike Av mode, this is only a 'preferred' setting.
(Typically user sets it to F8, or the point at which the diffraction Airy disk diameter equals twice the pixel pitch.)  To expose correctly, the camera changes Shutter Speed, then Aperture, then ISO.

« Reply #25 on: 14 / September / 2008, 10:27:44 »
I never use the "basic modes" or "green square" because of the lack of RAW saving. Would it be possible to implement/activate RAW saving for the basic modes?

« Reply #26 on: 14 / September / 2008, 12:08:03 »
i'd like to see (for the 40D) a hack that allows me to view different ratios in the viewfinder (instead of a matting screen) or at least via liveview.
So, instead of the default 3:4 ratio for example, i'd like to see 5:4 (for standard portrait prints as an example) rather than how much spaceto leave around the subject.

(originally posted in error on the 450d link)

« Reply #27 on: 14 / September / 2008, 12:59:45 »
I wonder if it's possible to use 40D built-in flash to control external Canon flashes without ugly and expensive ET transmitter, like Nikon cameras do.

« Reply #28 on: 14 / September / 2008, 13:39:25 »
If you may consider adding TRAP FOCUS function it would be great. Nikons have that, don't know why Canon doesn't support this idea (AFAIK they used to support it). it's great for macro, wildlife, street, sports and many more.
Please think of TRAP FOCUS:) 

Offline DataGhost

• EOS 40D, S5IS
    • DataGhost.com
« Reply #29 on: 14 / September / 2008, 16:24:45 »
For the record, that's like focus somewhere, lock focus, recompose and shoot when the new subject comes in focus? Might be possible... nice idea :)