How can I shoot without the lenses? - page 11 - Hotwire! Hardware Mods, Accessories and Insights - CHDK Forum  

How can I shoot without the lenses?

• 121 Replies
Re: How can I shoot without the lenses?
« Reply #100 on: 29 / October / 2014, 13:20:51 »
Advertisements
Greetings.

I don't want to be a necroposter, but I have a similar situation with my IXUS 300HS.
After a hard landing on a floor, its lens are stuck in a rather nasty condition, with error E32 showing up each time when I turned it on.

I have created and put to autorun this script:

call_event_proc("Mecha.Create")
call_event_proc("StartImStEventProc")
call_event_proc("DisableISDriveError")
call_event_proc("DisableLensError")

So, error E32 is gone. However, when I try to enter recording mode the lens continue to click heavily and "Lens Error" message appears.

Is it possible to get rid of this error by software means? I'm not very good at microcontrollers and soldering, but I do have CCTV Tamron zoom lens. And I would like to try and install it in my IXUS instead of damaged one.

Offline ahull

« Reply #101 on: 29 / October / 2014, 18:20:41 »
How good are you with a screwdriver? Its pretty easy to replace the lens unit if you have a steady hand, and are careful, and a whole lot cheaper than replacing the camera. I have even had some success in fixing the broken ones (but only for my own amusement, I wasn't volunteering  :D ).

Take care to make sure you get the correct one for your model a canon 300 is not the same as a 300 HS  and an Elph 300 HS is not the same either.. see ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_Digital_IXUS
« Last Edit: 29 / October / 2014, 18:27:45 by ahull »

Offline ahull

« Reply #102 on: 29 / October / 2014, 18:31:50 »
How good are you with a screwdriver? Its pretty easy to replace the lens unit if you have a steady hand, and are careful, and a whole lot cheaper than replacing the camera. I have even had some success in fixing the broken ones (but only for my own amusement, I wasn't volunteering  :D ).

Take care to make sure you get the correct one for your model a canon 300 is not the same as a 300 HS  and an Elph 300 HS is not the same either.. see ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_Digital_IXUS

I think this might be correct, but check very carefully, I 'aint about to pay for it if it isn't.
One more thought, a quick (but slightly brutal) twist in the correct direction may sort out the issue with the current lens.

« Reply #103 on: 30 / October / 2014, 12:22:55 »

Yes, I was a bit confused too. My camera is known as Powershot SD4000 IS / IXY 30S - they have only one firmware version, so nothing can go wrong here.
Screwdrivers are an option, and I can carefully disassemble a camera... in fact, I did it several times with A-series Powershots. The problem is to assemble a camera back :) But I'm willing to try.

I think this might be correct, but check very carefully, I 'aint about to pay for it if it isn't.
One more thought, a quick (but slightly brutal) twist in the correct direction may sort out the issue with the current lens.
Thanks for the link, but perhaps I wasn't very clear :) English is not my native language.
My aim is to try and make a "franken-camera" for leisurely manual shooting, with the ability to swap CCTV lenses. Without much soldering, but with disassembling and some dremeling.
I do not have need repairing this camera to fully functional state - this will be a hobby project to keep me busy through winter.

« Reply #104 on: 30 / October / 2014, 12:37:26 »
My aim is to try and make a "franken-camera" for leisurely manual shooting, with the ability to swap CCTV lenses. Without much soldering, but with disassembling and some dremeling.
I do not have need repairing this camera to fully functional state - this will be a hobby project to keep me busy through winter.
You might find some parts of this thread interesting and useful  :  CHDKPTP: S90 Primary Focal Plane Configuration - hacking out the CCD
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #105 on: 30 / October / 2014, 14:07:42 »
You might find some parts of this thread interesting and useful  :  CHDKPTP: S90 Primary Focal Plane Configuration - hacking out the CCD

Thanks! I'm reading it right now.
Does adding ALT_PREVENT_SHUTDOWN_ALWAYS into cameraprop.txt and later compilation makes this feature enabled by default?

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #106 on: 30 / October / 2014, 18:39:59 »
Does adding ALT_PREVENT_SHUTDOWN_ALWAYS into cameraprop.txt and later compilation makes this feature enabled by default?
ALT_PREVENT_SHUTDOWN_ALWAYS only exists when using the patched CHDK source. The patches you can find in that thread only apply to the S90 model and nothing else. Even with the patches, you still need the microcontroller solution, also described there.

Your camera may not be the best candidate for easy hacking: it has an adjustable iris and probably an ND filter too. Cameras that only have an ND filter are probably easier to hack (search for "opto" here: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=3409.0) due to the less hw feedback. Also see posts starting at http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=3409.msg104127#msg104127.
Even if you succeed in making your setup work, the camera will apply vignetting and distortion correction to still images and movies. For stills, you can get rid of distortion correction by using RAW, but the camera will still apply vignetting correction to the RAW data.
For movies, you can switch off distortion correction (details in that S90 thread), but you can't switch off anti-vignetting.

« Reply #107 on: 30 / October / 2014, 18:52:15 »
For stills, you can get rid of distortion correction by using RAW, but the camera will still apply vignetting correction to the RAW data.
I must have missed this somewhere.  This means that CHDK RAW is not really "what the sensor sees" - the data is massaged before CHDK can save it?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #108 on: 30 / October / 2014, 19:19:08 »
For stills, you can get rid of distortion correction by using RAW, but the camera will still apply vignetting correction to the RAW data.
I must have missed this somewhere.  This means that CHDK RAW is not really "what the sensor sees" - the data is massaged before CHDK can save it?
Yes.

« Reply #109 on: 28 / July / 2015, 06:30:24 »
This version disables IS after 30 seconds http://www.zshare.net/download/93648513c29f5fab/

Hi, I have an IXUS 105 with the same firmware and which apparently has the same E32 ISDriveError. Since the www.zshare.net website doesn't work anymore, can you please re-upload that fix for me, please?
Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: 28 / July / 2015, 06:54:41 by Scout74 »