USB Remote Switch in CHDK - version 2 implementation thread - page 11 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

USB Remote Switch in CHDK - version 2 implementation thread

• 220 Replies
Re: USB Remote Switch in CHDK - version 2 implementation thread
« Reply #100 on: 06 / January / 2013, 17:16:31 »
Advertisements
Postscript

I have been playing around to see if there is a pattern. I can't spot one, however, the bracketing seems to work on the odd occasion, ie one of a set of brackets will have changed by the Ev value.

This is all very strange.

Do you have a suggestion as to when I should push the remote?
- when the green light is flashing?
- when the green light has stopped flashing?

I have tried both with no decernable change.

Cheers

Garry

« Reply #101 on: 06 / January / 2013, 17:26:17 »
I have been playing around to see if there is a pattern. I can't spot one, however, the bracketing seems to work on the odd occasion, ie one of a set of brackets will have changed by the Ev value.
That's what it was doing on my A1200 before I turned off the Servo Autofocus.

Another difference is that I was using Tv override as the A1200 does not have an adjustable aperature.  Try Tv bracketing ?

If I recall correctly, the S95 has an M mode ?  Can you try that too ?

Do you have a suggestion as to when I should push the remote?
- when the green light is flashing?
- when the green light has stopped flashing?
Shouldn't really matter.  Once the previous shot has finished you have whatever is left of your 10 second timeout window.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #102 on: 06 / January / 2013, 18:32:27 »
Waterwongz

I always use M mode and all AF stuff is off.

I think I will give up for now as I believe there is a conflict somewhere. I can get it working now and then, but it is very eratic.

I will wait to see of an another algorithm emerges. ;-)

Until then I will carry on using the fixed bracketing via the canon menu: this gives me up to 10 brackets and works evert time.

Thanks for all your support and let me known if you wish me to do Amy testing on an S95.

Cheers

Garry

« Reply #103 on: 06 / January / 2013, 19:01:46 »
I always use M mode and all AF stuff is off.
Oh!   That might be the problem if you always use M mode.  Put it in P mode and see what it does ?

I think I will give up for now as I believe there is a conflict somewhere. I can get it working now and then, but it is very eratic.
Thanks for the help so far.  One last test - not in M mode - and then I will go off an wonder why its not working for you.

« Reply #104 on: 06 / January / 2013, 21:06:29 »
After hours of testing I think I see what the problem is, which could of course be me!

I can get the bracketing working via the remote, in M, Av and P modes, for instance, if I switch off the camera each time!

If I don't switch off the camera the second and subsequent bracket sequences have exposure times all over the place.

I appreciate this may mean I have CHDK set up incorrectly, but, bluntly, I don't know where!

Cheers

Garry

« Reply #105 on: 06 / January / 2013, 21:24:48 »
I can get the bracketing working via the remote, in M, Av and P modes, for instance, if I switch off the camera each time!

Brilliant !!  This is good.

After your first inquiry,  I actually discovered (painfully) that bracketing only worked the first time after the camera was powered up.   So I fixed that and thought I posted to that effect.  Maybe not - can't find it now - might have just been while I was chatting about it on the CHDK IRC channel.

In any case,  I posted patches to fix that today.  Should show up in the autobuild in a day or two.

Thanks for helping to chase this down !

« Reply #106 on: 06 / January / 2013, 21:32:48 »
Oh forgot to say that all the above works when I put the ca-1 remote into single push mode, ie just using a half press to trigger each bracket.

The plot thickens.

Garry

« Reply #107 on: 06 / January / 2013, 21:37:56 »
And, as you progress through the bracketing sequence the camera has a higher probability of showing 'busy', when there is an increased chance of timing out, ie shutter time breaks out of the linear Ev sequence. 

May I suggest you need to account for this camera and event specific delay, ie ensure the user has time to initiate the next bracket in the sequence.

Cheers

Garry

« Reply #108 on: 06 / January / 2013, 23:04:11 »
Oh forgot to say that all the above works when I put the ca-1 remote into single push mode, ie just using a half press to trigger each bracket.
The CA-1 generates a "witch's brew" of odd pulses.  Using another input mode with that device can produce interesting and random results.   Not going to worry about it until the fix I posted for the autobuild gets released.

And, as you progress through the bracketing sequence the camera has a higher probability of showing 'busy', when there is an increased chance of timing out, ie shutter time breaks out of the linear Ev sequence. 
Increasing the delay between shots before a timeout to 10 seconds should cover that.

May I suggest you need to account for this camera and event specific delay, ie ensure the user has time to initiate the next bracket in the sequence.
There are actually ways to do this (e.g. watch for the shot counter to advance) but it will complicate the code a bit.  I'll look at it.

« Reply #109 on: 07 / January / 2013, 07:17:45 »
Waterwingz

I will test out and provide feedback as soon as I'm pointed at an appropriate 'fix'.

Cheers

Garry