do not get a raw file for each shot, only some - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

do not get a raw file for each shot, only some

• 3 Replies
do not get a raw file for each shot, only some
« on: 30 / November / 2009, 13:51:19 »
Advertisements
Hello, All--

I have CHDK working on two cameras, both SD950s. If a shoot a dozen frames or so, the card will contain a .jpg for each shot, but only some of them--perhaps two or three--will have corresponding .crw files to match. This happens regardless of any exceptions I  have enabled in the RAW menu. ie. it happens even with no exceptions enabled. How can I change things so as to get a raw file for each shot. I hope someone can help with this.

Thanks,
Robert

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: do not get a raw file for each shot, only some
« Reply #1 on: 30 / November / 2009, 14:41:24 »
Hi Robert,

I have CHDK working on two cameras, both SD950s. If a shoot a dozen frames or so, the card will contain a .jpg for each shot, but only some of them--perhaps two or three--will have corresponding .crw files to match. This happens regardless of any exceptions I  have enabled in the RAW menu. ie. it happens even with no exceptions enabled. How can I change things so as to get a raw file for each shot.
I guess you stumbled over the "sporadic RAW images bug", already in the CHDK bug tracker: http://chdk.kernreaktor.org/mantis/view.php?id=298

Until this issue is fixed, half-press the shutter button first...
« Last Edit: 30 / November / 2009, 17:49:19 by fe50 »

« Reply #2 on: 30 / November / 2009, 14:55:15 »
Thanks. Yes, half-pressing the shutter button always produces a RAW file, and without the half-press, a RAW file is never produced. In a way, this is useful--fast shots (.jpg only) are available without getting out of RAW mode. but I hope it will be resolved.

Be well,
Robert

« Reply #3 on: 07 / December / 2009, 19:16:43 »
fe50--

When I wrote last week, I was very new to using my just-hacked camera. Now that I have had a week to work with it, this sporadic "bug" turns out, on my SD950 at least, to be convenient, and not a harmful kind of bug at all (also not, thankfully, sporadic). Perhaps this is part of how biological evolution works. A "mistake" turns out to have advantages, and persists.

Anyway, after carrying my Nikon D300 everywhere, I find my SD950 with its fairly decent lens, IS, very good resolution, and now RAW files to be a joy to carry. I can strip the noise out of the RAWs before sharpening, and then sharpen appropriately, getting results which are often equal to or even better than (except at the corners) with the D300 and Nikon 18-135.

I am a photographer, not a computer expert, so I am grateful to all who have contributed to CHDK, and thank you all.

Be well,
Robert