SD700 Wont power on when SD Card is locked. - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

SD700 Wont power on when SD Card is locked.

• 8 Replies
SD700 Wont power on when SD Card is locked.
« on: 05 / July / 2008, 03:17:37 »
Advertisements
I have been trying to install CHDK for the last couple of hours. I tried it manually first, by copying the boot.ini and ps.fir to the root of my SD card and running the firmware update function in Menu. It recognizes the firmware but when I select it, it only reboots the camera and does not update. I then tried using Card Tricks, I formatted my card, made it bootable, copied over the correct Zip and locked the card. However the camera will not power on if the card it locked. If I unlock it, it powers up just fine. However I get the same issue when trying to update the firmware manually. I have tried 3 different (what I assume are different since the file names are different) firmwares and I can't get anything to load. Some guidance would be appreciated.

:'(

Offline jetzt

• [A710IS,(SD200)]
Re: SD700 Wont power on when SD Card is locked.
« Reply #1 on: 05 / July / 2008, 03:31:13 »
First I don't have boot.ini, mine is DISKBOOT.bin, the other one is PS.FIR,
I'm not sure, perhaps cause I always install manually without cardtricks, but as a general rule you need to extract the above mentioned files FIRST and then copy it into the root-folder of your card.
You should then make the card bootable, either with cardtricks or while having loaded through unlockedcard-firmupdate menu entry.

If you think you did all that, it's probably really the wrong CHDK for your camera, did you check your EXACT firmware version?
Check the wiki for that.-->(CHDK - CHDK Wiki)

hope that helps you,
jetzt

« Reply #2 on: 05 / July / 2008, 06:13:05 »
Some guidance would be appreciated.

The latest SDM includes an installer that makes it very fast and easy to prepare a ready-to-run bootable card.
Even if you do not wish to use SDM normally, try the installer to prepare the card and later you can replace DISKBOOT.BIN with your preferred version.
(in that case, delete CHDK.CFG).

Download here StereoData Maker

Information on the installer here Quick Start

In your case, choose 'Left' or 'Right' camera, it makes no difference.

David

« Reply #3 on: 05 / July / 2008, 14:49:42 »
Unforunately, I tried both of your suggestions and it still wont work. My Camera will not power on if the card is locked, when I unlock it and try and run the firmware update manually the camera's LCD blinks and goes back to the startup screen, but does not update the firmware. Could this be a problem with my camera? I can get the camera to recognize the firmware is on the card, but it simply will not load it.

« Reply #4 on: 05 / July / 2008, 15:04:15 »
Unforunately, I tried both of your suggestions and it still wont work.

There are two firmware versions .. 100b  and 101b.

Try both.

David

Offline jetzt

• [A710IS,(SD200)]
« Reply #5 on: 06 / July / 2008, 11:07:26 »

If you think you did all that, it's probably really the wrong CHDK for your camera, did you check your EXACT firmware version?

I should have underlined that.

« Reply #6 on: 07 / July / 2008, 08:09:13 »
My SD750 won't Power ON either, mate.
Just press the "Play" button and then shutter. It's unconfortable but...only way to avoid that, for me.

Good luck!

GAZZA

Canon Ixus75/SD750

Offline jetzt

• [A710IS,(SD200)]
« Reply #7 on: 07 / July / 2008, 09:13:45 »
My SD750 won't Power ON either, mate.
Just press the "Play" button and then shutter. It's unconfortable but...only way to avoid that, for me.

Good luck!

GAZZA
Hmm any idea why that could be?

« Reply #8 on: 07 / July / 2008, 09:32:51 »
Hmm any idea why that could be?

A number of cameras behave like that.

In SDM 1.71, there is code that automatically switches the IXUS960/SD950 to Record mode.

Looks like I will have to add a few more cameras.