Windows GUI for gcc toolchain - page 3 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Windows GUI for gcc toolchain

• 58 Replies

Offline dvip

Re: Windows GUI for gcc toolchain
« Reply #20 on: 11 / May / 2016, 15:29:24 »
Advertisements
Ok, for me the problem occurs when using gcc451_ gcc451-493_ gcc493.7z. Using gcc493-host481.7z works fine.  8)

Windows GUI for gcc toolchain
« Reply #21 on: 11 / May / 2016, 22:01:17 »
A couple of obvious little things for the benefit of the next person :

1) When you install the compiler,  you need to update your computer PATH environment variable.

Instructions here :   Compiling_CHDK_under_Windows : The_environment

2) If you don't have an SVN client installed, you will get this error message several times during the build process :

You can safely ignore it.  Or download and install Tortoise SVN to make it go away.
« Last Edit: 11 / May / 2016, 23:24:33 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #22 on: 14 / May / 2016, 06:54:09 »
Hi waterwingz,

1. Downloaded the Gui.  Promptly realized I also need to download the compiler tool chain seperately.  I assume that I will also have to hunt for a capstone and chdkptp install files as well? And maybe an svn client?
For building of latest chdk, you only need GUI, compiler tool chain and of course chdk source. Capstone is only for chdk development. If you would transfer chdk after building to camera, then is chdkptp required.

2. What does "Primary" refer to?  A folder with primary.bin files?
Yes, but this path is only required for chdk development.

3. What does "Open Source" try to launch?
Opens the currently selected chdk source code folder with windows file explorer.

4. It would be nice if the Windows "command box" stayed open after completion.  Right now it dies on something and I can't figure out what.
Please use "Error Log" button or check "\bin" folder with "Open Source" button.

I do get an error log - I suspect that I need to set some PATH variable or something :
"C:/Users/a/Documents/Documents - Personal/CHDK/gcc493/bin/sh.exe": svnversion: command not found
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, arm-elf-gcc -dumpversion, ...) failed.
"C:/Users/a/Documents/Documents - Personal/CHDK/gcc493/bin/sh.exe": line 2: C:/Users/a/Documents/Documents: No such file or directory
gmake[1]: *** [clean-recursive] Error 1
gmake: *** [clean-recursive] Error 1

An svn tool is not required for building chdk. The first message line is only a warning.
Your selected compiler (gcc493) is an arm-eabi-gcc. Your source need an arm-elf-gcc.

Notice: there are three compiler tool chains available (see first post):
  • gcc493 for arm-eabi, chdk rev. 3780 (correct "OPT_" name at 3784) or later
  • the good old gcc451 for arm-elf
  • gcc451_493 for both, requires the right setting of USE_GCC_EABI in the GUI
One feature I was hoping to see is the ability to make and apply svn compatible patch files.  Not too sure I see it though?
We use TortoiseSVN and don't plan to include a diff function.

rudi

How do we know if source requires EABI tool chain ?
What are consequences of not setting option USE_GCC_EABI correctly ?
How do we install and use Capstone ?

Thanks.

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #23 on: 14 / May / 2016, 08:54:49 »
How do we know if source requires EABI tool chain ?
What are consequences of not setting option USE_GCC_EABI correctly ?
How do we install and use Capstone ?
EABI is necessary when GCC 4.8 or higher is used. For the compiling of a DIGIC 6 camera is necessarily GCC 4.8 or higher required. See also https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=12115.msg118870#msg118870
Capstone is the new signature finder tool (thx reyalp), needed for DIGIC6 development. All you need is the Capstone library and settings buildconf.inc/local_buildconf.inc (The GUI makes this for you). Read more about Capstone in this post: https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=12714.msg126204#msg126204

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

« Reply #24 on: 15 / May / 2016, 06:08:21 »
Thanks for the info & links.

Offline dvip

« Reply #25 on: 21 / May / 2016, 00:38:00 »
Only some suggestions for the next new Windows GUI for gcc toolchain (edited: CHDK-Shell GUI was whim's program)  update:

- Remember the camera list if the user switches trunk.

- Have an option (a check box) to build the full version or the small version when clicking on "Compile List". It may save some time when generating zips.

- Keep or "remember" the main window's position/size when you exit the program (no that important but good to have). 

Where is the source code for the new CHDK-Shell GUI? It looks like AutoIt script.

Again, great job!

« Last Edit: 21 / May / 2016, 01:00:11 by dvip »

« Reply #26 on: 21 / May / 2016, 00:49:29 »
Only some suggestions for the next new CHDK-Shell GUI update:
FWIW .. CHDK-Shell is a program written by whim.   An different program than what is described in this forum thread.

Offline dvip

« Reply #27 on: 21 / May / 2016, 01:02:19 »

>FWIW .. CHDK-Shell is a program written by whim.   
>An different program than what is described in this forum thread.

OK, is it called: Windows GUI for gcc toolchain?

« Reply #28 on: 21 / May / 2016, 01:13:26 »
OK, is it called: Windows GUI for gcc toolchain?
I don't know what the authors rudi/msl want to call it.  But CHDK Shell is a different program entirely.

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #29 on: 21 / May / 2016, 10:52:05 »
- Remember the camera list if the user switches trunk.
You can copy the user list in another source code. We want to keep the code as simple as possible. Remember the list needs a checkup in the next source code. Are all cameras available?.

- Have an option (a check box) to build the full version or the small version when clicking on "Compile List". It may save some time when generating zips.
This is available - option 'full'. Please note the tool tips of the GUI elements.

- Keep or "remember" the main window's position/size when you exit the program (no that important but good to have).
Agreed.

Where is the source code for the new CHDK-Shell GUI? It looks like AutoIt script.
Have you read the first post? ;) => https://www.assembla.com/spaces/rudi_space/subversion/source/HEAD/CHDK_Compiler_GUI/trunk

By the way, the CHDK shell has over 10k lines of code, because whim has fulfilled every wish. That was great. But which also has the disadvantage that updates are no longer possible. The goal of this GUI is, to keep the code as simple as possible.

Another thing. The new default forum theme is a disaster - sorry. E.g. formatting with the list tag is so not more really readable.

msl

CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links