Compilation problems with original 'ready-to-use' environment based on gcc 3.4.6 - page 2 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

Compilation problems with original 'ready-to-use' environment based on gcc 3.4.6

• 27 Replies

Offline reyalp

Advertisements
It tried to use the old 'zsh'  (renamed by GrAnd to 'sh') but zsh is unstable on Win 7 and 64-bit is not supported anyway.
To use the chdkshell gcc4 toolchain on win7, you just need your path set appropriately to not pick up the bad sh. I do most of my development like this. In my setup, this  means having D:\chdk\chdkshell\gcc4\bin at the front of the path
sh --version gives
GNU bash, version 3.1.0(1)-release (i686-pc-msys)
Don't forget what the H stands for.

sh --version gives
GNU bash, version 3.1.0(1)-release (i686-pc-msys)

I do get that but when I compile I get errors :-

========== D:\CHDKSHELL\TRUNK\TRUNK300\BIN\LOGS\ERR-A620-100F.TXT ==========

arm-elf-gcc: Wl,--start-group: No such file or directory
arm-elf-gcc: Wl,--end-group: No such file or directory
D:\CHDKSHELL\gcc\bin\gmake.exe[1]: *** [main.elf] Error 1
gmake: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

If I type gmake from a command line I get :-

arm-elf-gcc.exe:CreateProcess:No such file or directory.

Offline reyalp

I'm not sure if it's relevant, but you are still using gmake.exe from the gcc3 binaries. I would suggest removing that from your path completely.

Well, I restarted the PC to make sure PATH was updated, not sure if you have to do that with Win7.
chdkshell still gives the error and in addition it was paused by Avast anti-virus popping up to say that cc1.exe did not seem to be malicious.

So, I changed the path to \gcc\bin  to use 3.4.6.

Remember, my Makefiles have not been updated in any way for later gcc versions.

Entering gmake from command line resulted in ubasic, math and font libraries being built but it then failed on stubs_entry.s  reporting unexpected end-of-file.

I have compared it with the copy on my normal-work PC and it is identical.

« Last Edit: 18 / November / 2012, 20:13:11 by Microfunguy »

Offline reyalp

Well, I restarted the PC to make sure PATH was updated, not sure if you have to do that with Win7.
You can just set the path in the particular command prompt window you are working it, no need to mess with the system path or reboot.
chdkshell still gives the error
I was not suggesting you use chdkshell. Rather, I was suggesting you should use the gcc4 toolchain it includes.
So, I changed the path to \gcc\bin  to use 3.4.6.
To the best of my knowledge no one ever got this toolchain to work correctly on vista and later. That is one of the primary reasons chdkshell started including gcc4

I was not suggesting you use chdkshell. Rather, I was suggesting you should use the gcc4 toolchain it includes.

OK, I will follow-up on that 'tomorrow' as the PC is now downloading the 750 MB Ubuntu ISO.
Then I will get VirtualBox.

OK, I will follow-up on that 'tomorrow' as the PC is now downloading the 750 MB Ubuntu ISO.
Then I will get VirtualBox.
I have a copy of the tool chain used in the autobuild (props to hacki).  All it took was the appropriate changes to the  PATH variable to point at the toolchain first  to make it "just work" under Linux.   Let me know if you want to use that ?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

All it took was the appropriate changes to the  PATH variable to point at the toolchain first  to make it "just work" under Linux.   Let me know if you want to use that ?

Many thanks, that will avoid most of the pain.

OK, I am now doing that and on entering the gmake command I get the error reported in previous post  after stubs_entry.S :-

/bin/sh: -c:line 1:
syntax error: unexpected end of file

The line ending is 'line feed' (0x0A) as expected.
« Last Edit: 19 / November / 2012, 10:54:45 by Microfunguy »

Offline reyalp

The fact that the error comes from sh means the error is in the command passed to sh (presumably by make or one of the commands invoked by make) not in stubs_entry.S itself.

As an off the top of my head guess, it might be something to do with line ending styles. The CHDK svn is set to keep all the makefiles in unix (LF only). The tools included with the different toolchains may affected differently by varying line endings.