pixls.us wants your raw samples - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

pixls.us wants your raw samples

• 10 Replies

Offline reyalp

pixls.us wants your raw samples
« on: 26 / March / 2017, 17:12:56 »
Advertisements
Developers of some open source photography software have set up a nice site https://pixls.us/

As part of this, they maintain a collection of raw samples: https://raw.pixls.us/

They would like samples of CHDK DNG and framebuffer dump (CRW/CR2) for any cameras not already in the database. Native Canon raw and raws from other manufacturers are also welcome.

Details are described on the page but briefly:

* Only one sample of each format is needed for a given model
* Image must be licensed CC0
* It should be straight from the camera without any modification
* It should be portrait orientation, in focus, not totally dark or blown out. Generally a normal, recognizable image
* Should not contain images of people
* For CHDK DNG, use DNG 1.3.

If you have a camera there isn't already a sample for, please contribute. You can type Canon in the search box to see which cameras they already have samples for.

If you upload samples, please also post which models you uploaded here, to save time and duplication.

I have uploaded sample from my cameras

* D10
* IXUS140 / ELPH130
* A540
* SX160
* G7X
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Re: pixls.us wants your raw samples
« Reply #1 on: 26 / March / 2017, 18:03:42 »
Really interesting and some good stuff in the posted article.  Thanks for bringing it here!

I see about 20 CHDK RAW/DNG files posted there.  So just for fun,  I scraped the HTML from the CHDK download page and counted the number of Canon cameras currently ported to CHDK.

252 ! edited : 122

Not including multiple firmware versions for most models or the new ports in process.

Wow.  Just wow.  I've done a few of those myself.  But 252 ?  My contribution is but 2% of the total. I guess I have not been paying attention.

I'll submit RAW & DNG image for my cameras where they are not already submitted.

edit : # of CHDK RAW/DNG files submitted so far is actually 27. And cameras officially ported to CHDK are about 122 - duplicate IXUS/SD/ELPH models were counted twice originally.
« Last Edit: 26 / March / 2017, 19:24:33 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

« Reply #2 on: 26 / March / 2017, 18:24:00 »

252 !

Not including multiple firmware versions for most models or the new ports in process.
The autobuild table has separate listings for the IXUS and SD/Elph names that are the same file, so the real total is a bit under 150 (by counting directories under platform).

Still a pretty astounding number.

« Reply #3 on: 26 / March / 2017, 18:49:35 »
The autobuild table has separate listings for the IXUS and SD/Elph names that are the same file, so the real total is a bit under 150 (by counting directories under platform).
Missed that - good catch!

So by my count there are about 122 camera models ported in total (see attached)? (there are several cameras in the SVN platform not released to the download server)

And to be fair, each firmware version of a camera required somebody to go through the source and edit pretty much every file. For free.

Prior to the philmoz updating the sig finder .. and considering the early days with no sig finder ... the 436 different downloadable files is a very impressive achievement !

Still a pretty astounding number.
I'm also humbled at the shear size of the  community contribution.

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #4 on: 27 / March / 2017, 06:57:09 »
So by my count there are about 122 camera models ported in total (see attached)?
Hmmm ...
The download page on the German CHDK forum says: 135 cameras with 330 firmwares. And the GCC compiler tool says 143 cameras and 346 firmwares. This includes also the cameras with the skip autobuild option.

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

Offline reyalp

« Reply #5 on: 08 / April / 2017, 15:01:53 »
OK, we support more cameras than we can count, but who has uploaded samples? :haha

Offline c_joerg

« Reply #6 on: 09 / April / 2017, 04:35:58 »
I upload a Canon RAW from G1x. It looks like all my other cams are there. Not sure if they want an additional DNG from G1x…
M100 100a, M3 121a, G9x II (1.00c), 2*G1x (101a,100e), S110 (103a), SX50 (100c), SX230 (101a), S45,
Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/136329431@N06/albums
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrTH0tHy9OYTVDzWIvXEMlw/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

« Reply #7 on: 09 / April / 2017, 11:08:49 »
Looks like I need to charge some batteries and go find a nice landscape.

Any idea how this relates to RAWSAMPLES.CH ?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #8 on: 09 / April / 2017, 15:10:04 »
Any idea how this relates to RAWSAMPLES.CH ?
See https://pixls.us/blog/2017/01/new-year-new-raw-samples-website/ and the message at the top of rawsamples.ch

Looks like I need to charge some batteries and go find a nice landscape.
FWIW, they are just looking for a reasonably well exposed, in focus image not an artistic masterpiece ;)

@c_joerg
Roman Lebedev said they wanted CHDK DNG and framerbuffer raw as well as Canon raw, and having a full set using the same scene and settings is desirable even if they already have one format.

Except for CHDK raw, you will be prompted if you try to upload an image for a camera they already have, you can put in the comment that you are uploading it to have the same scene as other formats.
« Last Edit: 09 / April / 2017, 15:18:35 by reyalp »

Offline reyalp

Re: DNG calibration, again (was Re: pixls.us wants your raw samples)
« Reply #9 on: 16 / July / 2017, 14:09:40 »
Were you able to explain to them what a CHDK RAW contains (i.e. image data only)?
Yes, LebedevRI certainly knows that. I mentioned he could get "chdk raw" by just pulling the data out of DNG and swapping the bytes but he wanted the original files.