A2200 IS porting thread - page 27 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum  

A2200 IS porting thread

• 515 Replies
Re: A2200 IS porting thread
« Reply #260 on: 18 / February / 2012, 10:26:33 »
Advertisements
Sorry, where is i can get scripts for CHDK?

There are many great .bas scripts and resources right here: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/UBASIC/Scripts
Oh, thanks :)

« Reply #261 on: 20 / February / 2012, 16:33:33 »
Hi everyone.  I'm new to the CHDK concept and have an A2200.  I'm really confused about loading the diskboot file and any other files if need be.  Also I've read that the SD card does not need to be partitioned in a FAT 16 if it's over 8GB.  Is this correct so far?  If so, what step am I missing to load CHDK?  I have Version C firmware on the camera.  I downloaded the latest and all it has is the diskboot.bin file. I know (at least pretty much think) that there should be more.  What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

« Reply #262 on: 20 / February / 2012, 16:36:41 »
Hi everyone.  I'm new to the CHDK concept and have an A2200.  I'm really confused about loading the diskboot file and any other files if need be.  Also I've read that the SD card does not need to be partitioned in a FAT 16 if it's over 8GB.  Is this correct so far?  If so, what step am I missing to load CHDK?  I have Version C firmware on the camera.  I downloaded the latest and all it has is the diskboot.bin file. I know (at least pretty much think) that there should be more.  What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

It's all explained here: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Bootable_SD_card

The part you want to read is: How to prepare the SD card for booting the DISKBOOT.BIN file

Good luck!

« Reply #263 on: 20 / February / 2012, 18:09:57 »
I've read this.  This is why I posted.   On that link it tells me that you have to make 2 partitons on your SD card when on this forum it said that you didn't have to and that CHDK will load fine.   I'm just trying to filter out all the confusion.  Partition in to 2 or not?  Can I boot from an 8GB SD card? 

Offline reyalp

« Reply #264 on: 20 / February / 2012, 18:21:18 »
I've read this.  This is why I posted.   On that link it tells me that you have to make 2 partitons on your SD card when on this forum it said that you didn't have to and that CHDK will load fine.   I'm just trying to filter out all the confusion.  Partition in to 2 or not?  Can I boot from an 8GB SD card? 
A2200 is a 2011 camera, so it can boot from a fat32 card.  No need to partition. See http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6645.0

However, the string needed to enable this goes at a different location, which card tricks AFAIK doesn't yet support. Not sure if sdminst does or not.

If there is an FI2 file available, the simplest way to make the card bootable is to load CHDK manually using "firm update" and then use CHDK to make the card bootable.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #265 on: 20 / February / 2012, 18:38:01 »
Also I've read that the SD card does not need to be partitioned in a FAT 16 if it's over 8GB.  Is this correct so far? 
Not really.    A  FAT16 partition can only be a maximum of 4G large.  On Canon cameras prior to 2011,  the camera would only boot CHDK from a FAT16 partition.  So you needed a small FAT16 partition for the boot and the rest of the card could be FAT32 (which can be much larger).

If so, what step am I missing to load CHDK?  I have Version C firmware on the camera.  I downloaded the latest and all it has is the diskboot.bin file. I know (at least pretty much think) that there should be more.  What am I missing?

I'm working away at rewriting that wiki page.  For now, follow this :

1) The A2200 was released in 2011 and can therefore boot from a single partition SD card formattted with FAT32.  This means you do not need two partitions to use an 8G card.

2) The easiest way to setup your card is to format it with the camera's built in format utility (which will get you FAT32).   Unzip the CHDK distribution onto the card, including all the origina folders.   Then load CHDK via the firmware update method using the PS.FI2 and go to the menu item that makes the card bootable.  Select that,  shutdown the camera,  put the SD card lock into the LOCKED position,  reboot the camera and CHDK should load.

Which works fine unless you don't have the PS.FI2 file - like with the early release of the A2200.   In that case,  unless you want to hexedit the SD card FAT,   you pretty much have to set the card up with a single 4G partition (using SDMINST.EXE or cardtrick.exe) and pretend that you only have a 4G card.   

link> CHDK Installation on cards > 4G

Note that you will not be able to use dual partitions with the A2200 - that code was not implemented as it was felt it would not be needed once the camera went to full release status.

This will all get sorted out once the port gets to full release status and a ps.fi2 file becomes available.
« Last Edit: 20 / February / 2012, 18:40:18 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #266 on: 20 / February / 2012, 19:42:05 »
However, the string needed to enable this goes at a different location, which card tricks AFAIK doesn't yet support. Not sure if sdminst does or not.

No.

« Reply #267 on: 20 / February / 2012, 22:33:52 »

I'm working away at rewriting that wiki page.  For now, follow this :

1) The A2200 was released in 2011 and can therefore boot from a single partition SD card formattted with FAT32.  This means you do not need two partitions to use an 8G card.

2) The easiest way to setup your card is to format it with the camera's built in format utility (which will get you FAT32).   Unzip the CHDK distribution onto the card, including all the origina folders.   Then load CHDK via the firmware update method using the PS.FI2 and go to the menu item that makes the card bootable.  Select that,  shutdown the camera,  put the SD card lock into the LOCKED position,  reboot the camera and CHDK should load.

Which works fine unless you don't have the PS.FI2 file - like with the early release of the A2200.   In that case,  unless you want to hexedit the SD card FAT,   you pretty much have to set the card up with a single 4G partition (using SDMINST.EXE or cardtrick.exe) and pretend that you only have a 4G card.   

link> CHDK Installation on cards > 4G

Note that you will not be able to use dual partitions with the A2200 - that code was not implemented as it was felt it would not be needed once the camera went to full release status.

This will all get sorted out once the port gets to full release status and a ps.fi2 file becomes available.
[/quote]

Thank you for explaining.  Now I know why I was confused with I did make 2 partitions and it wourldn't work and even now.  I'll try what you said.

Thanks again!

« Reply #268 on: 23 / February / 2012, 07:58:33 »
Sorry but I am new at this. I managed to installed chdk on my A220 (1.00d). However, RAW files seems to be broken? I tried opening it with cs3, photomatrix pro, and irfanview with the corresponding plugins for .crw files but it still wouldn't open. Someone I know said raw files produced on her a590 with chdk always produces broken raw files, so now I'm not really sure if it's just the programs I use or with the chdk build. Thanks for any enlightenment.

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #269 on: 23 / February / 2012, 11:01:03 »
Hello & welcome !

However, RAW files seems to be broken? I tried opening it with cs3, photomatrix pro, and irfanview with the corresponding plugins for .crw files but it still wouldn't open. Someone I know said raw files produced on her a590 with chdk always produces broken raw files
CHDK RAW files are NOT images in Canon's CRW format !

* http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Raw

CHDK RAW files *may* be broken while the development phase, but at last in BETA state all official CHDK ports stores valid CHDK RAW files ;)

If a software don't recognize CHDK RAWs, this doesn't mean they are broken - this means: the software is not compatible with the CHDK RAW file since this is not a standard RAW format like Canon CRW or CR2.

--> Enable DNG support in the CHDK menu, DNG is supported very widely !

See also: * http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?board=15.0