Help making Eye-Fi Pro X2 16GB bootable - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum  

Help making Eye-Fi Pro X2 16GB bootable

• 8 Replies
Help making Eye-Fi Pro X2 16GB bootable
« on: 09 / April / 2014, 17:55:41 »
Advertisements
Hi all,

New to CHDK, and I just picked up an Eye-Fi I'm trying to make bootable. I used STICK and it created 2 partitions. Is this the right way to do it?

CHDK seems to be booting, but the scripts and saved settings aren't loading. I'm assuming they're on the 2nd partition that Windows can't see?

Thoughts?

Re: Help making Eye-Fi Pro X2 16GB bootable
« Reply #1 on: 09 / April / 2014, 18:15:05 »
As you have an SD1400 and this card is larger than 4G, a dual partition approach is the only way to get CHDK to autoboot (other than simply formatting the card with a single 4G FAT16 partition.)

When you do this, the second FAT32 partition is where you need to place scripts that you want to run.  There are several ways to do this from windows (all outlined here http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Prepare_your_SD_card)  but you can just use WASP to switch back and forth.

Having said all that,  it's not clear that you will have Eye-Fi capability using a dual partition scheme.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 09 / April / 2014, 18:25:19 »
Thanks for the reply! Is there a camera model you would recommend? Would it ease this issue?

« Reply #3 on: 09 / April / 2014, 21:12:07 »
Using a spare laptop, I used GParted to remove the 16gb partition. Then hit Apply. Once done, I had GParted make a 4096MB FAT16 partition and hit apply. I did them as 2 separate steps to be extra safe.

I then inserted the Eye-Fi into my PC and the Eye-Fi Center software saw the Eye-Fi card, so that was a success.

I installed CHDK to the card. Used CHDK to make the card bootable. Installed the Ultimate Intervalometer script, and locked the card. Inserted Eye-Fi into my camera and turned it on, it booted to CHDK. Configured the Ultimate Intervalometer script and sure enough my FTP site started receiving files.

So far so good! :D

Time to let it run for a few days and see if anything glitches out.

Any other tips I should know about?
« Last Edit: 09 / April / 2014, 21:26:16 by drsprite »

« Reply #4 on: 09 / April / 2014, 22:44:49 »
Is there a camera model you would recommend? Would it ease this issue?
Any Canon P&S camera released after 2010 will handle booting from a single FAT32 partition (which you need to use all 16GB's on your card).

Any other tips I should know about?
My suggestion about formatting your 16G card as 4G was a little bit "tongue in cheek".  You may very well be the first person to be willing to do that - choosing functionality over 12Gb of storage space that you don't really need yet nobody is willing to give up.  Glad it worked out for you.

« Reply #5 on: 10 / April / 2014, 15:54:27 »
Any Canon P&S camera released after 2010 will handle booting from a single FAT32 partition (which you need to use all 16GB's on your card).

I don't see much of a difference with FAT16 vs FAT32 that is worth upgrading cameras. The 4GB partition limitation still exists. I think the only thing that might be justifiable is the "Endless Memory" option on the Eye-Fi (which I am reading only works on FAT32). Best I can tell the SD1400 only works with FAT16.

My suggestion about formatting your 16G card as 4G was a little bit "tongue in cheek".  You may very well be the first person to be willing to do that - choosing functionality over 12Gb of storage space that you don't really need yet nobody is willing to give up.  Glad it worked out for you.

Hehe, I knew it was a joke, but in all seriousness, I think I'm OK with it.

The whole purpose of this setup is to document a house being built. So this setup will be in a waterproof case in the field for 5 months with WiFi connectivity. In *theory* (if endless memory works), then I should be OK with 4GB partition, since the photos are instantly uploaded to my PC (and hopefully deleted).

It's all a thought and I'm going through the proof of concept on that theory now :)

« Reply #6 on: 10 / April / 2014, 16:01:18 »
The 4GB partition limitation still exists.
No - you missed a step there.  FAT32 partitions have a nominal 32G size limit  (and there are actually ways around that).  So if you have a camera that can boot from a FAT32 partition, then you can use the entire SD card, not just the first 4G's of it.

« Reply #7 on: 10 / April / 2014, 16:16:43 »
No - you missed a step there.  FAT32 partitions have a nominal 32G size limit  (and there are actually ways around that).  So if you have a camera that can boot from a FAT32 partition, then you can use the entire SD card, not just the first 4G's of it.

Ah you're right. Guess that keeps building the case to buy a newer camera!

« Reply #8 on: 10 / April / 2014, 21:44:31 »
I broke down and picked up the ELPH 130 IS today. Reformatted the Eye-Fi the full 16GB with FAT32.

My main reason for breaking down is because the "Endless Memory" option does not work on FAT16. It is only supported with FAT32. So with a remote timelapse, endless memory sounds ideal and I needed a camera with FAT32.

Yeah... *that's* how I justified buying it...

So far so good (again) :D
« Last Edit: 10 / April / 2014, 21:50:26 by drsprite »