Newbie with a G9 but cannot load files - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum  

Newbie with a G9 but cannot load files

• 12 Replies
Newbie with a G9 but cannot load files
« on: 08 / May / 2023, 09:25:40 »
Advertisements
Hiya
I used CHIMP to partition, set up and upgrade a 32 Go SD card.
CHDK works (I do have the logo and the extra features such as the OSD) but I cannot explore the card, load scripts or grids.

One solution would be to use another a card and start again from scratch, but what I would like to understand is the reason why CHDK cannot access those files that are indeed present on the card, albeit on the second partition.

Cheers.

Offline reyalp

Re: Newbie with a G9 but cannot load files
« Reply #1 on: 08 / May / 2023, 12:11:14 »
Hiya
CHDK works (I do have the logo and the extra features such as the OSD) but I cannot explore the card, load scripts or grids.
What specifically happens when you try to open the file browser or load a script? Do you see a message about a missing module?

If you are able to turn on the CHDK file space OSD, how much space does it show remaining? If not, you can switch to shooting mode and see how many shots the Canon firmware thinks can be saved.

Are you loading CHDK with the bootable card method, or manually with firm update?

One solution would be to use another a card and start again from scratch, but what I would like to understand is the reason why CHDK cannot access those files that are indeed present on the card, albeit on the second partition.
If multipartition is working properly, all the modules, scripts, etc should be on the large partition. Only diskboot.bin needs to be on the small one.
« Last Edit: 09 / May / 2023, 03:57:04 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 08 / May / 2023, 16:13:15 »
The script files are located on the large partition.
Yet nothing happens when I try to open a script (the files don't appear even if they are on the card).

I use the bootable card method and I don't think that any module is missing but I might be wrong.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 09 / May / 2023, 04:02:48 »
Yet nothing happens when I try to open a script (the files don't appear even if they are on the card).
What does "nothing" mean here? You select "Load Script from file..." in the script menu and what happens next? You get a file browser but no script files are visible, or there's just no response?

And again:
If you are able to turn on the CHDK file space OSD, how much space does it show remaining? If not, you can switch to shooting mode and see how many shots the Canon firmware thinks can be saved.
If for some reason multi-partition is failing, the firmware might be looking at the small partition. If you get a file browser when you try to load a script, that will also show you the free space.

Offline Caefix

• Sorry, busy deleting test shots...
« Reply #4 on: 09 / May / 2023, 09:12:34 »
Hiya
;)  "print" is the <Alt> button by default.  :-X short click toggles mode.
All lifetime is a loan from eternity.

« Reply #5 on: 09 / May / 2023, 15:02:37 »
Cheers. I used to use CHDK 1.5 and everything worked just fine ( for instance was able to load and use the interval meter script) but now the files are no longer accessible by CHDK. In other words, they don't appear in the alt menu, even if I know for a fact that they are on the partition as they appear when I put the SD card in a PC.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #6 on: 09 / May / 2023, 15:37:25 »
In other words, they don't appear in the alt menu, even if I know for a fact that they are on the partition as they appear when I put the SD card in a PC.
Again, when you use "Load Script from file..." in the script menu, what specifically happens next?
Are you able to browse the SD card or not?
If you are able to browse the SD card, are you seeing the large or small partition? You should be able to tell from the free space and the other files present.

I realize this is frustrating, but without more specific information there's very little chance we'll be able to help.

Alternatively, you could reformat the card in camera and start over...

Very little has changed in the G9 port in recent years, so IMO it's quite unlikely (though not impossible) that a change in the port is cause your problem. It's more likely to be something about the way the card has been prepared.

« Reply #7 on: 10 / May / 2023, 14:09:48 »
To recap, if if I click on "load scripts from files", the CHDK menu blinks and then nothing happens. I cannot browse the SD card to load a script.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #8 on: 10 / May / 2023, 15:43:14 »
To recap, if if I click on "load scripts from files", the CHDK menu blinks and then nothing happens. I cannot browse the SD card to load a script.
OK, if after you do that, you go to "Miscellaneous stuff -> Console -> Display Last Console" do you see a message relating to modules or fselect.flt?

And again, if you switch to shooting mode, how many shots does the Canon OSD say can be saved on the SD card? If it's seeing the large partition, it should be thousands. If it's seeing the small one, it should be very few, if not 0.

« Reply #9 on: 10 / May / 2023, 17:01:47 »
Thanks for the swift reply. The console says Fail to load fselect.flt.
The Canon OSD says thousands of photos, so it sees the large partition.