Canon Ixus 55 not recognized over USB - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum  

Canon Ixus 55 not recognized over USB

• 4 Replies
Canon Ixus 55 not recognized over USB
« on: 02 / November / 2016, 03:13:00 »
Advertisements
Hi guys, I am back :) you may remember my 8mm film scanner project.

I was just curious as to why my trusty Ixus 55 isn't seen over USB? I would like to upgrade image size to the biggest image, but this means I have to pause the scanning at every 800 images, then grab the images and flush the card (the camera only uses 2GB cards).

But when I pöug it in, it isn't seen as a device by my Windows 8.1 computer.

Any ideas? Or, any ideas on how to use the computer as the store in the first place?

Many thanks once again!

http://www.sabulo.com/sb/category/8mm-film/ for details on the project

Re: Canon Ixus 55 not recognized over USB
« Reply #1 on: 02 / November / 2016, 20:07:57 »
You didn't mention if this USB issue happens without CHDK loaded?

If that works, then does it work with CHDK loaded and the CHDK USB remote functionality disabled?   

When you enable the USB remote,  you essentially "kill" all PTP protocal communication over the USB remote connection.  There is a way around that using the script function usb_force_active( 0 / 1 )
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 03 / November / 2016, 02:04:20 »
Hi!

It happens with or without CHDK loaded.

Today I will test with another computer to see if my server doesn't have the requisite WIA and other files.

While here, I'll describe my ideal setup:

since the USB cable from Arduino to the camera only has the power line cut and rerouted via Arduino, can I

1) read the memory card using the same USB cable and
2) if that is possible, do I need to connect the power wires in the USB while I read the card?

I would love to just plug the free end of the USB cable to my computer, and add a Pause button to my Arduino. Then I could Pause the Arduino script, and suck the grabbed images out of the memory card, then release the pause and get another 800 or so images.

Also - there is no way to bypass the 2GB card size limitation on the Ixus 55, is there?

Many thanks once again!

Heikki

« Reply #3 on: 03 / November / 2016, 08:56:30 »
I suspect you want to use your IXUS55 "just because" but you can get newer CHDK compatible PowerShots online for less than$50.  What's your time really worth?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #4 on: 03 / November / 2016, 12:18:22 »
Well yes, Waterwingz, you're right as usual. I dug into my camera box and pulled out the Ixus 95, with a 16 GB card - so that removes that limitation.

Now, I'd like to zoom in and focus in as close as possible with it, then use my rig to move the camera until I have a frame in focus. The 95 seems to be able to focus not so close as the 55 does with the marco attachment I bought for it. I'll try to get that done with the example files we have for CHDK.

And I guess I can use the same LUA file to do the actual shooting, so currently it's just a question of getting really up close and personal with the 95. ideally, it'd have the zoom and focus to the max as a sort of a startup function.

Thanks muchly once more!

-h.