Change Button Functionality - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum

Change Button Functionality

• 9 Replies
Change Button Functionality
« on: 21 / December / 2018, 12:10:05 »
Advertisements
Hello,

I'm using Canon Powershot SX110 IS. For a long time, I did not received any firmware updates. So I searched and found CHDK and used it for a multiple hours (just now).

Some of my camera's buttons are no more functioning. They are ON/OFF button and the scroll wheel. ON/OFF button is no matter, because I can close the camera via pressing play button. But because of my scroll wheel don't functioning anymore, I can't use the shutter speed, manual focus, aperture and switching on photos. I want to use especially the shutter speed, aperture and manual focus options. How do I change my camera's functionality, that I can use them by using other buttons (either pressing for a moment etc)? Is there any way to do it?

Do CHDK has this option?

Sorry if this topic is not relevant for this category.

Thanks.

Re: Change Button Functionality
« Reply #1 on: 21 / December / 2018, 12:31:01 »
Unfortunately, there is no built-in capability in CHDK to remap buttons.  We have discussed it a number of times as it is technically quite possible - it would just take someone with enough time and interest to develop the code and figure out a usable UI.

It's also possible to hack the existing code in a "one off" custom fashion to manage specific needs.  But again, it takes someone with the skills and time to do that work.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 21 / December / 2018, 12:33:45 »
Thanks for replying.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 21 / December / 2018, 22:59:34 »
It would also be possible to write a script that does something like this, using the keyboard handling approach from https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=12696.0 (that script won't do it as is, it's just an example of how to pass keys through)

The way I'd imagine it working is that all keys normally "pass through" to the canon firmware, but some shortcut changes left and right to act like the wheel instead.

Or you could use a script that sends wheel events for left/right and run it every time you want to change the wheel controlled settings. That would be quite straight forward, I can post an example if it seems useful.

Another option would be to use CHDK overrides to set the settings you can't use in the normal UI https://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_User_Manual#Enhanced_Photo_Operations but this would be quite inconvenient.

Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #4 on: 22 / December / 2018, 02:47:43 »
reyalp,

I think the thing that you wrote at third paragraph may be useful. I already looking to this option. Can you show an example that I can code it or kind of?

Thanks for helping.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #5 on: 22 / December / 2018, 03:24:23 »
Here's a really quick example. It's not very convenient, but something to start with anyway.

I'm assuming you know how to copy the script to your camera and get into CHDK alt mode to access the CHDK menus. If not, I can post more detailed instructions.

You need to select the script in the CHDK script menu, which you can access by pressing SET in alt mode. This doesn't run the script, it makes it the script will run if you press the shutter button in alt.

When you want run it, press the shutter button fully in alt mode.
While the script is running, clicking the right button will act like turning the wheel one click clockwise, and the left button will act like rotating the wheel one click counterclockwise.
To exit the script, press SET or click the shutter again. To get back to the canon UI and shoot, you need to leave alt mode.

« Reply #6 on: 22 / December / 2018, 03:41:41 »
Wow man! I really surprised this working.  :o

How can I thank you really? For a couple years, I didn't found the way to alternate buttons or use CHDK.

All functions are functioning. Switching video quality (compact -> standard), manual focus, shutter speed, aperture, switching on photos...

I did contacted to Canon months ago and they said they not have a spare part, either an extension that can I fix this. I almost give up that time.

Really thanks to you. You made me happy today. I'll use this camera a lot, will save the money from buying the new one.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #7 on: 22 / December / 2018, 03:50:00 »
I'm glad you found it useful.

I may be able to post a better one based on the first approach I mentioned later.

« Reply #8 on: 22 / December / 2018, 03:52:30 »
I think this one is enough to me, but if there is a better working one, I glad to try it.

For now, I'll be using this. Thanks again.

« Reply #9 on: 22 / December / 2018, 09:44:30 »
As a matter of convenience, you can set the script to run automatically each time as you enter <ALT> mode.  Saves you having to press the shutter button each time.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16