SX430 - This will be my first porting Attempt - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

SX430 - This will be my first porting Attempt

• 202 Replies
SX430 - This will be my first porting Attempt
« on: 25 / October / 2018, 16:33:58 »
Advertisements
I am going to attempt a port for the SX430 (i have the ixus285 too for later if this succeeds). Although i have done some (very little ) C programming i have almost zero knowledge about disassemblers and such.

I have gone thru some of the recommended reads for a new port (i will be completing the rest soon -i hope) and am trying to gather all the relevant tools for compilation. i am on windows by the way.

I would like to request any pointers or advice that the gurus in this forum would like to give for a noob

Re: SX430 - This will be my first porting Attempt
« Reply #2 on: 25 / October / 2018, 19:32:51 »
I am going to attempt a port for the SX430 (i have the ixus285 too for later if this succeeds). Although i have done some (very little ) C programming i have almost zero knowledge about disassemblers and such.
Well,  the bad news is that you are going to need to learn a bunch of new stuff.  The good news is that your are going to learn a bunch of new stuff.

I have gone thru some of the recommended reads for a new port (i will be completing the rest soon -i hope) and am trying to gather all the relevant tools for compilation. i am on windows by the way.  I would like to request any pointers or advice that the gurus in this forum would like to give for a noob
A lot of the wikia documentation on porting was barely adequate many years ago when it was written. At that point, many people used quasi-legal versions of IDA dissassembly tool. Much has changed since then - mostly for the better.

I'm pretty sure there is a good high level summary of the necessary steps somewhere here on the forum ( @reyalp ?).  Start with that and ask questions as you take each step.  You'll get an answer here and everyone who has actually done a port will be very patient with someone doing their first.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #3 on: 26 / October / 2018, 01:41:57 »
Well,  the bad news is that you are going to need to learn a bunch of new stuff.  The good news is that your are going to learn a bunch of new stuff.
:) so i will like to be optimistic and ... consider that .... good news...

I have gone thru some of the recommended reads for a new port (i will be completing the rest soon -i hope) and am trying to gather all the relevant tools for compilation. i am on windows by the way.  I would like to request any pointers or advice that the gurus in this forum would like to give for a noob
A lot of the wikia documentation on porting was barely adequate many years ago when it was written. At that point, many people used quasi-legal versions of IDA dissassembly tool. Much has changed since then - mostly for the better.

I'm pretty sure there is a good high level summary of the necessary steps somewhere here on the forum ( @reyalp ?).  Start with that and ask questions as you take each step.  You'll get an answer here and everyone who has actually done a port will be very patient with someone doing their first.

i am aware of the amount of effort ... you all gurus of CHDK have put in .... and as it is always easier to stand on the shoulders of good people, to achieve something ... i started this thread with the sole purpose of doing that - asking a lot of questions.

i am indeed in the process of reading past material and in a couple of days i intend to actually start the work

........... and let me once again thank all of you who have contributed to this awesome thing weve come to love called CHDK

« Reply #4 on: 26 / October / 2018, 01:43:27 »
Look here:
https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=13419.msg136984#msg136984

thank you Blackhole ... that post was the reason i chose this camera ....  :)

« Reply #5 on: 26 / October / 2018, 02:08:42 »
i am indeed in the process of reading past material and in a couple of days i intend to actually start the work
Step 1 is to setup a build environment on your PC. When you can rebuild an existing port from scratch you are ready for step two - adding a new port to the build tree - and then step three - disassembly.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

« Reply #6 on: 26 / October / 2018, 03:22:31 »
I'm pretty sure there is a good high level summary of the necessary steps somewhere here on the forum ( @reyalp ?).
I'm not thinking of one off hand.

https://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Adding_support_for_a_new_camera should still be an OK-ish overview for digic 5 and below, though some things are certainly out of date.

The big difference is that code-gen should be used to generate the assembly in the platform files. I don't think we really have a good overview of that, the comments in tools/code_gen.c plus an existing port as an example should be a good starting point.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #7 on: 03 / November / 2018, 03:04:14 »
Step 1 is to setup a build environment on your PC. When you can rebuild an existing port from scratch you are ready for step two - adding a new port to the build tree - and then step three - disassembly.
exactly what i was planning to do ... sorry for not following up (i am down with a little flu  ;) )
in fact a blessing in disguise ?!? ( i will be getting a little free time )

so today i will be setting up a build environment.

thanks all

« Reply #8 on: 04 / November / 2018, 12:35:25 »
i have been able to compile the existing SX530 (which i also have) using the CHDK Compiler GUI 0.9.288
thiis is how i was able to set it up

i hope it looks ok

« Reply #9 on: 04 / November / 2018, 13:00:54 »
Look here:
https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=13419.msg136984#msg136984

i extracted the contents of the zip in the above post to the trunk folder and added
sx430is,100b,,,
to the camera list csv
and selected the camera for compilation
everything seemd to happen ok  :)

no zip was created. where do i look for what happened error list etc
sorry if i am being too naive