EOS M3 porting - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

EOS M3 porting

• 746 Replies

Offline Ant

EOS M3 porting
« on: 05 / September / 2015, 13:26:41 »
Advertisements
Hello.
Canon EOS M3 firmware is based on  Powershots firmware.
It supports Canon basic scripts and booting from DISKBOOT.BIN
Some information about M3 firmware can be found on CHDK Wiki

Alfa or Beta builds for fw v1.0.1.a, v1.2.0.f and fw v1.2.1.a are available on autobuild server as "PowerShot M3".

Only “Bootable SD Card Method” can be used on M3 to run CHDK.
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Prepare_your_SD_card

The default button for entering Alt mode is "M-Fn".

Source code:
https://app.assembla.com/spaces/chdk/subversion/source
« Last Edit: 29 / April / 2021, 17:45:59 by Ant »

Offline srsa_4c

Re: EOS M3 porting
« Reply #1 on: 05 / September / 2015, 13:55:57 »
Does this mean you've decided for a CHDK port? That's going to be a bumpy ride, no idea if the CHDK core is ready for a camera that doesn't have a fixed lens.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #2 on: 05 / September / 2015, 14:19:29 »
Does this mean you've decided for a CHDK port? That's going to be a bumpy ride, no idea if the CHDK core is ready for a camera that doesn't have a fixed lens.
Could definitely present some challenges, but even if most of the lens related functionality didn't work some parts of CHDK could be useful.

It will be interesting to see how much of the P&S codebase they really re-used. I wonder if this is a step toward unifying the two code-bases, or the M line has just been moved to the P&S?
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline Ant

« Reply #3 on: 05 / September / 2015, 14:23:28 »
I think that porting Magic Lantern to EOS M3 is more difficult and there is no existing ML ports for Digic 6 cameras. (And their twitter is "autoexec_bin", not "diskboot_bin" :) )

Your SX280HS port can be used as reference.

Now I want to ask you about "make rebuild-stubs" command. Should it work with Digic6 firmware dump?

Offline Ant

« Reply #4 on: 05 / September / 2015, 14:32:46 »
I wonder if this is a step toward unifying the two code-bases, or the M line has just been moved to the P&S?

I asked for one didic6 dslr user to run dumper script - it does not works...  :(

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #5 on: 05 / September / 2015, 15:05:14 »
Now I want to ask you about "make rebuild-stubs" command. Should it work with Digic6 firmware dump?
No. The sigfinder doesn't currently support DIGIC 6 (Thumb-2) firmware dumps.
Fixing this is not trivial, it would mean re-doing most sigfinder functionality from scratch. Plus, correctly interpreting a dump that has both Thumb and ARM instructions is much more work...
So, the only current option is finding stubs manually (the same has to be done for an ML port as they don't have a sigfinder either (FIXME)).

I wonder if this is a step toward unifying the two code-bases, or the M line has just been moved to the P&S?
I think the latter. We'll likely see less low end powershots (which probably isn't much of a problem, because those model lines have become incredibly awful lately, IMHO).

« Reply #6 on: 05 / September / 2015, 15:15:10 »
We'll likely see less low end powershots
Recent mobile phone cameras have become very good - hastening the demise of P&S cameras in general.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline Ant

« Reply #7 on: 07 / September / 2015, 16:42:19 »
I am trying to adapt boot.c file from SX280_102b to eos m3 firmware.
But I can't find analog of sub_fc060338_my function, that is called from sub_fc04f72a_my = fc0634e2@eosm3. There is a loopback on fc083cc4@eosm3.

Focus beam led turns on from the start of CreateTask_my function. After 2-3 seconds all LEDs turn off but camera does not start.

« Reply #8 on: 07 / September / 2015, 17:01:07 »
I am trying to adapt boot.c file from SX280_102b to eos m3 firmware.
If I may make a suggestion,  you might first want to make boot.c just mimic what the Canon code does.  Leave out the CHDK hacks to ensure that your build environment and loader configuration all work.   Then gradually introduce the CHDK hacks to the working boot code.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline Ant

« Reply #9 on: 07 / September / 2015, 17:29:56 »
I think that build environment and loader configuration are ok because orange led turns on from patched CreateTask function