Help: How to install CHDK in IXUS 240 HS - page 3 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Help: How to install CHDK in IXUS 240 HS

• 25 Replies
Re: Help: How to install CHDK in IXUS 240 HS
« Reply #20 on: 27 / November / 2014, 18:44:45 »
Advertisements
On other side effect (other than a fire risk) is that when LiPo battery packs fail,  the also tend to "bulge out" and expand.  Broke the cover of an expensive Logitech remote when that happened.  Have also seen posts on DPReview from people with cameras where the expanded battery is firmly jammed into the camera slots.

So perhaps I may just use the "little less likely to bulge out" generics.

I have not converted the prices to USD or even checked the US prices, but in SA the originals are very expensive. Keep in mind the average income to living expense ratio here is a little lower. They retail for around 60USD each. Good quality generics vary between 30 and 45USD.

Some "good quality" generics on eBay go for about (with international shipping included) 15USD each. Like you said, 1/4. I think there are less expensive ones, but then, you get what you pay for - and past the initial 75% saving...I believe it would likely only be greed. Besides, the Canadian battery seller offers a "warranty" of some sort...whatever that is worth.

Thanks for the good advice.

I followed the Stick instructions, held my breath and ... started breathing again...hey, I would have died if I had waited, it still is not working.

What I did was:

1) Got the sample pic off a review site (turned out it is an Ixus 240 HS firmware c).
2) Downloaded the RAR with different versions (however the files inside look nothing like standard CHDK files, but instead looked like source code (spreadsheets with codes and addresses etc).
3) Unzipped the firmware c and zipped it as a separate file.
4) Placed that zip in the Stick program folder.
5) Ran Stick.jar.
6) dropped sample photo into its window.
-it picked up the firmware version and zip file - (I wonder whether it is because of the zip file being renamed to match the firmware version or whether Stick actually checks that the CHDK is good and ready to be installed.
7) Clicked the search for SD option.
8) Confirmed install...
9) Got an annoying error message about failure.

I have tried many times, it has thus far failed to create a bootable SD. Does anyone know how big a micro SD the 240 supports? Thank you and good night.
« Last Edit: 27 / November / 2014, 18:47:24 by Abracadabra »

« Reply #21 on: 27 / November / 2014, 19:07:20 »
2) Downloaded the RAR with different versions (however the files inside look nothing like standard CHDK files, but instead looked like source code (spreadsheets with codes and addresses etc).
CHDK is available from the autobuild of the ixus240 f/w versions 1.01a and 1.02a,   You don't need to download anything manually - STICK will do all of that for you.

6) dropped sample photo into its window.-it picked up the firmware version and zip file
What version did it report?

Please be specific.  "Annoying" is not a helpful description.  Exactly what did it say ?

STICK has a logging facility too - add the line "debug=yes" to the stick.properties file, rerun the install and post the resulting sticklog.txt file here?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #22 on: 28 / November / 2014, 03:14:12 »
CHDK is available from the autobuild of the ixus240 f/w versions 1.01a and 1.02a,   You don't need to download anything manually - STICK will do all of that for you.

6) dropped sample photo into its window.-it picked up the firmware version and zip file

Please be specific.  "Annoying" is not a helpful description.  Exactly what did it say ?

STICK has a logging facility too - add the line "debug=yes" to the stick.properties file, rerun the install and post the resulting sticklog.txt file here?

Thank you waterwingz.

I do not have access to the files used yesterday. Will post the results tonight or early tomorrow.

Thank you for the info above. I believe I confused the custom/unreleased method and the building of a standard one. Add to that some source instead of a proper build and ... no wonder it did not work. I will be receiving the camera any day now so, when I do, I will use its firmware as a starting point.

I am excited to see CHDK working on a touch screen camera. I just wonder how I will set a CHDK button as the Ixus 240 has only one (the playback) button and it obviously needs to be used for its intended purpose. I think, and hope to verify, that I could still use the playback button by just keeping it in longer. Can anyone confirm this - is it a general way CHDK functions? I have an old Ixus 100 IS and it works that way.

I was blown out of the water when I compared the first RAW shots taken with CHDK with the normal camera jpegs. Even somewhat disappointed that I had not found it earlier. The camera's default (and it cannot be increased) is jpeg subsampling 90 on fine. My old Ixus 70 could go to 95 on superfine. With CHDK's settings I get 95. Even that is very poor compared to the RAWs.

I created some settings for RAWs in Lightroom and applied them to the jpegs...it looked horrible and I could not fix it through any amount of tweaking.

Thanks to all who make this project possible. {Digital hug}

Have a great weekend.

« Reply #23 on: 29 / November / 2014, 18:33:20 »

Thank you waterwingz.

I do not have access to the files used yesterday. Will post the results tonight or early tomorrow.

Thank you for the info above. I believe I confused the custom/unreleased method and the building of a standard one. Add to that some source instead of a proper build and ... no wonder it did not work. I will be receiving the camera any day now so, when I do, I will use its firmware as a starting point.

I am excited to see CHDK working on a touch screen camera. I just wonder how I will set a CHDK button as the Ixus 240 has only one (the playback) button and it obviously needs to be used for its intended purpose. I think, and hope to verify, that I could still use the playback button by just keeping it in longer. Can anyone confirm this - is it a general way CHDK functions? I have an old Ixus 100 IS and it works that way.

I was blown out of the water when I compared the first RAW shots taken with CHDK with the normal camera jpegs. Even somewhat disappointed that I had not found it earlier. The camera's default (and it cannot be increased) is jpeg subsampling 90 on fine. My old Ixus 70 could go to 95 on superfine. With CHDK's settings I get 95. Even that is very poor compared to the RAWs.

I created some settings for RAWs in Lightroom and applied them to the jpegs...it looked horrible and I could not fix it through any amount of tweaking.

Thanks to all who make this project possible. {Digital hug}

Have a great weekend.

Hallo all.

I know I used the wrong method earlier so I will not post the results as it cannot achieve the desired outcome.

In the meantime, while I am waiting for the courier to arrive, I have tried to create a bootable SD with a sample image created on a Ixus 240 running on firmware 100c. There is no official build and no other so I will repeat the steps when I have and know the camera's firmware version.

« Reply #24 on: 04 / December / 2014, 13:49:58 »
Hello everyone.

I have the camera now. It runs on firmware 101a.

I could not get stick to install it on the 32GB Lexar I have. It is a fast 45MB/sec card.

I have attached two screenshots and the log (thanks to Waterwinz).

The error: it keeps saying it needs to analyze the card, but then...nothing. The "continue to install step" button is greyed out. Must I format the card, if so, how?

Thank you.

The log below:

"
STICK - Dave Mitchell 1.10
OS Type=2 OS Version=7
engine link established
Is an admin
Running on a 32-bit machine
elevated=false
Native Interface established
maxsize=64000 testsize=70000 (64GB)

loading tables - please wait ...
Downloading build information from http://mighty-hoernsche.de/
Downloading build information from http://mighty-hoernsche.de/trunk/
Downloading build information from http://autobuild.akalab.de/release_full.txt
Downloading build information from http://autobuild.akalab.de/trunk_full.txt
tables loaded successfully
Handling drop - please wait ...

IMG_0001.JPG dropped
C:\[directory path]\IMG_0001.JPG is being processed
actual fm=16843008 hex=1010100
fm=16843008 icm=3180000 fms='Firmware Version 1.01'
Checking official builds
Downloading http://zenoshrdlu.com/acid/acidchdk.properties
 - no build found for Stable CHDK Canon IXUS 240 HS 101a
Downloading http://zenoshrdlu.com/acid/acidchdkt.properties
 - searching for build for Trunk CHDK ixus240_elph320hs-101a
 - build found - Trunk CHDK bins/ixus240_elph320hs-101a-1.3.0-3771-full_ALPHA.zip
Trunk CHDK build is available for this camera
Processing completed
Downloading  - please wait ...
bins/ixus240_elph320hs-101a-1.3.0-3771-full_ALPHA.zip zip file being downloaded - please wait ...
bins/ixus240_elph320hs-101a-1.3.0-3771-full_ALPHA.zip has been saved
in extractDB, dlp='C:\[directory path]\Trunk CHDK\ixus240_elph320hs-101a\'
Extracting DISKBOOT.BIN
...[boring bit about extraction - it was successful]
extract rc = 0
All files downloaded and extracted
Scanning for cards - please wait ...
Scanning for suitable cards (64GB or less) ...  - please wait ...
Starting drive check
Checking drive D:
Checking drive E:
Checking drive F:
Checking drive G:
Checking drive H:
Checking drive I:
   drive I found
Checking drive J:
Checking drive K:
Checking drive L:
Checking drive M:
Checking drive N:
Checking drive O:
Checking drive P:
Checking drive Q:
Checking drive R:
Checking drive S:
Checking drive T:
Checking drive U:
Checking drive V:
Checking drive W:
Checking drive X:
Checking drive Y:
Checking drive Z:
1 drives found
Drives: I
Analysing drive I
Checking access to device '\\.\I:'
Checking access to device '\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1'
Failure checking device '\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1' - error 5
 testing I: bootable
Cards scanned - 1 cards found
STICK needs permission to analyse disk
"

« Reply #25 on: 04 / December / 2014, 15:26:24 »
Good news! I found a solution.

I Googled this: "how to run stick as admin chdk", went to this page: http://arch.ced.berkeley.edu/kap/discuss/index.php?p=/discussion/4296/installing-sdm-and-chdk-the-really-simple-way/p2 and ended up at: http://zenoshrdlu.com/stick/stick.html where I read this: "On a 64-bit system and on some 32-bit systems, even if you are logged on as an Admin, you will have to start STICK using STICKX.CMD, otherwise STICK will not be able to analyse your card. It should display a message like this:

STICK needs permission to analyse disk

and the log will contain a message like this:

Failure checking device '\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE2' - error 5

If you see this message, or are running a 64-bit Windows system, terminate STICK and double-click the STICKX.CMD file. This will display a dialog allowing you to temporarily 'elevate' yourself to Admin level" and got the result in the screenshot below.

Awesome!