raw (dng) -> jpg in adobe camera raw - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

raw (dng) -> jpg in adobe camera raw

• 6 Replies
raw (dng) -> jpg in adobe camera raw
« on: 16 / March / 2008, 11:58:00 »
Advertisements
Hello.

On a canon powershot s2, I'm using the CHDK firmware hack and I'm
experimenting a bit with raw pictures. I tend to convert raw pictures
with dng4ps2 to convert them to dng files and I'm kind of wondering
how to obtain settings for adobe camera raw to yield something that
resembles the jpg as it comes out of the camera.

I have a couple of files online here for comparison:

Picasa-webalbums - dohduhdah - CHDK - experi...

The first pic is the dng file converted to jpg by picasa and the
second pic is the jpg as it comes out of the camera.
Any suggestions regarding what settings to enter in Adobe camera raw
to approximate the look of the jpg as it comes out of the camera would
be appreciated.
A strategy to automatically obtain suitable settings for adobe camera
raw to approximate the look of the jgps as they come out of the camera
as a starting point for further modifications to the raw file would be
even better.

Kind regards, Niek

Re: raw (dng) -> jpg in adobe camera raw
« Reply #1 on: 16 / March / 2008, 14:43:08 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 14:16:39 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

« Reply #2 on: 17 / March / 2008, 03:18:07 »

Well, when I use auto settings in adobe camera raw, I get an image that looks ok, except it looks like it was taken in the middle of the day (neutral colors), while the picture I've uploaded to picasa was actually taken in the afternoon. So the jpg as it comes out of the camera with warm colors reflects the time of the day the picture was taken and I would like to adjust the settings in camera raw in such a way that it looks like the jpg as it comes out of the camera. Just as a starting point for further adjustments if I'm not happy with the way the camera has set the white balance for the jpg.
The pictures shown are not modified in adobe camera raw. The dng was converted to a jpg by picasa when I uploaded it, but the dng files tend to look too blue usually (for instance when I open them in irfanview) and only look ok after I load them in adobe camera raw and apply the automatic  adjustment, but it still doesn't approximate the look of the jpg as it comes out of the camera.
I just reckoned the looks of the jpg as it comes out of the camera would be a good starting point for further adjustments as most of the time I'm happy with the way the jpgs look as they come out of the camera, but I think raws might provide some extra flexibility for custom adjustments.

« Reply #3 on: 19 / March / 2008, 05:36:47 »
Hello,

I have two comments

1/ Isn't this what the DNG4PS (?) is supposed to do? Match the Whitebalance in the DNG with the colors in the JPG that was taken at the same time?

2/ Barney Fife: This is the first time that I see someone saying "don't use auto WB". When you use "Cloudy" as preset, does the camera always choose the same color temperature or is that just a starting point to optimize from there?

Thanks for your comment.

PS: I just bought a Pentax K10D, very curious how my S3IS with raw in CHDK competes ...

« Reply #4 on: 19 / March / 2008, 19:58:24 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 14:16:58 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

« Reply #5 on: 20 / March / 2008, 04:52:07 »
Hello Barney Fife,

thanks for your reply.
The White Balance is the main reason why I shoot RAW (also it's so much easier to adjust exposure).
I looked at so many pages on the internet how to set a good color temperature ... I find it so hard to judge when I look at my photos in Lightroom tweaking the color temperature. Do I look at the photo while editing, or the RGB histogram ... I am still trying.

About the Pentax: I'm really curious if it's a keeper or not. So many advantages and also disadvantages ... let's see. What was your reason not to go DSLR? No need for focussing speed, better DOF control, higher ISO performance?

« Reply #6 on: 20 / March / 2008, 07:11:36 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 14:17:16 by Barney Fife »