Magnification box - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Magnification box

• 2 Replies
Magnification box
« on: 10 / March / 2021, 05:07:23 »
Advertisements
Hi, as an alternative to focus peaking , I was wondering if it would be possible to use the existing zoom box function but magnify the area inside the box rather than having to zoom in and out which can take time. I think that would give enough info at 5 or 10x zoom to be able to focus while being able to check composition at the same time, also the box could be moved around with touch screen and it could be toggled on/off with a function key. Would this be possible? I was  thinking of the eos M specifically M6. Would be grateful to know what people thought or if it's worth trying to attempt myself.
Thanks,
« Last Edit: 10 / March / 2021, 05:13:17 by Nickm48 »

Offline srsa_4c

Re: Magnification box
« Reply #1 on: 10 / March / 2021, 17:19:45 »
I was wondering if it would be possible to use the existing zoom box function but magnify the area inside the box rather than having to zoom in and out which can take time. I think that would give enough info at 5 or 10x zoom to be able to focus while being able to check composition at the same time, also the box could be moved around with touch screen and it could be toggled on/off with a function key. Would this be possible?
The idea is not bad, but I think the live view magnification is implemented like it is for a reason.
First, when the camera is in (normal) live view, the sensor is read out in a way that reduces power consumption somewhat. That means, line/column skipping and/or pixel binning is used to reduce the amount of data that the sensor outputs and the DIGIC CPU processes. When you enter magnified live view, only a part of the sensor is read out - the "window" that is visible on screen.

The older DIGICs (such as the DIGIC 7 of the M6) are likely not capable of processing 24+ Mpixels worth of data while maintaining a sensible frame rate (25...30 fps). Same goes for the sensors in those cameras.
If you don't have full sensor readout, you won't get sharp details when trying to magnify part of the live view image.
Then, there's the other obstacle: you'd need to program the sensor readout, pixel processing yourself as the firmware routines probably don't provide all the functionality you'd need. Even if there's some knowledge about those details (researched and implemented in Magic Lantern), that research has not been done yet on DIGIC 6 and later processors.

Re: Magnification box
« Reply #2 on: 11 / March / 2021, 03:37:13 »
Hi, thanks for your reply, it sounds quite tricky, not something for a novice to try and I notice that the M6 hasn't been ported yet, i was wondering if I could alter the existing zoom function on the M6 but it sounds like there will be many potential issues. I think I would have to overlay the magnified readout and so would be asking for two sensor readouts at the same time which might cause problems. I wonder if a small added magnified area would be too much for the processor? I might try and delve further but sounds like it would be too complex, I only have a basic understanding of code.