How can I shoot without the lenses? - page 6 - Hotwire! Hardware Mods, Accessories and Insights - CHDK Forum

How can I shoot without the lenses?

• 121 Replies

Offline sh1981

Re: How can I shoot without the lenses?
« Reply #50 on: 13 / August / 2011, 15:16:46 »
Advertisements
Well, after 20 or so minutes of testing, making movie, continuous shoot while zoom, continuous shoot at wide angle, random shots, leaving cam on in and out of sdm menu, it seems to work fine everytime!

Startup problem is sorted as well. Can even be started in playback.

Thanks microfunguy :)
A proud owner of Canon IXUS 105

Offline sh1981

« Reply #51 on: 13 / August / 2011, 19:25:03 »
Finally found out that mysterious circumstance under which the E32 error comes up.

Its when I take a few photos, and then switch to PLAYBACK mode, and then half press shoot to enter RECORD mode again.

Also noticed that the only way to flawlessly turn the camera on, without any hitches, 100% guaranteed, is to leave the camera in LOW LIGHT mode before switching it off.

Note that what I just said above are just observations, I dont class them as problems, all I have to do is remember not switch cam off and on again if I enter playback and I turn it off in low light mode.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #52 on: 15 / August / 2011, 14:41:38 »
I'm really glad about these developments.

I'm trying to give a summary about what we know regarding these Disable*** functions:
- If some hardware (in this case the IS system) is only activated during record mode, the corresponding Disable*** function needs to be called in record mode. Calling these while in replay mode may result in shutdown (a DebugAssert, I guess).

- The function needs to be called, whenever record mode is activated (even after replay mode).

So, unlike I said in my first comment here, preventing shutdown in case of some hardware failures seems to be a possibility - in software.
The topic starter could try to register once again if needed ;) and be more polite, his problem may be solved too.

Offline sh1981

« Reply #53 on: 16 / August / 2011, 02:49:11 »

I'm trying to give a summary about what we know regarding these Disable*** functions:
- If some hardware (in this case the IS system) is only activated during record mode, the corresponding Disable*** function needs to be called in record mode. Calling these while in replay mode may result in shutdown (a DebugAssert, I guess).

- The function needs to be called, whenever record mode is activated (even after replay mode).

So, unlike I said in my first comment here, preventing shutdown in case of some hardware failures seems to be a possibility - in software.
The topic starter could try to register once again if needed ;) and be more polite, his problem may be solved too.

Yea, microfunguy was kind enough to fix exactly that last night here http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=5720.msg71759#msg71759

A slight issue still remains, which is, if i go from record mode to playback mode and then enter record mode again without turning cam off and on, then it tends to bring up the e32 error. I dont consider this an issue since I've trained myself mentally now to turn cam off and on if i ever enter playback. I also make it a habit to turn cam off in LOW LIGHT mode cause then and only then it turns on smoothly by keeping on button depressed, else the lens gets stuck on first try and does fine on second try.

Ofcourse before it was restarting the playback mode after 30 seconds no matter what, so thats fixed.

I'm happy with it now, you guys should be working for canon :)

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #54 on: 16 / August / 2011, 08:32:30 »
Yea, microfunguy was kind enough to fix exactly that last night here http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=5720.msg71759#msg71759
I know, I read both threads.
A slight issue still remains, which is, if i go from record mode to playback mode and then enter record mode again without turning cam off and on, then it tends to bring up the e32 error.
My guess is that the camera initializes (almost) everything related to shooting (lens, IS, sensor, ...) when shooting mode is activated - even after playback mode (!).
As the current hack only disables that error once, after camera startup, it can't prevent that error when the following scenario happens: shooting mode (e32 error disabled)-> playback mode -> shooting mode (e32 error not disabled)
I also make it a habit to turn cam off in LOW LIGHT mode cause then and only then it turns on smoothly by keeping on button depressed, else the lens gets stuck on first try and does fine on second try.
That is probably a problem with the port, not your camera. Lens stuck = camera shutdown because of an error.
« Last Edit: 16 / August / 2011, 08:34:25 by srsa_4c »

Offline sh1981

« Reply #55 on: 19 / August / 2011, 08:54:09 »
I know, I read both threads.
A slight issue still remains, which is, if i go from record mode to playback mode and then enter record mode again without turning cam off and on, then it tends to bring up the e32 error.
My guess is that the camera initializes (almost) everything related to shooting (lens, IS, sensor, ...) when shooting mode is activated - even after playback mode (!).
As the current hack only disables that error once, after camera startup, it can't prevent that error when the following scenario happens: shooting mode (e32 error disabled)-> playback mode -> shooting mode (e32 error not disabled)
I also make it a habit to turn cam off in LOW LIGHT mode cause then and only then it turns on smoothly by keeping on button depressed, else the lens gets stuck on first try and does fine on second try.
That is probably a problem with the port, not your camera. Lens stuck = camera shutdown because of an error.

Yes, you are right. However I've trained myself to always switch camera off if I'm in playback, so it does the job.

About the lens stuck, as I said if I start it in low light mode, it always, I repeat, always turns on fine. This is just a clue, for someone like you, who is a developer. Perhaps in later versions you, or microfunguy, could sort this. As for now, I'm fine with it as I remember to leave it in low light before switching off.

Offline sh1981

« Reply #56 on: 19 / August / 2011, 09:04:46 »

Yes, ultimately there could be an 'Error Override' menu in SDM, where you might be able to override all sorts of errors, including the one that pops up if the battery has run out of juice. I'm sure theres a little bit left in there that could be squeezed before the battery actually runs out.

I know for a fact that this just saved me around 80 or so quid, that would have cost me in repairs. I mean, what use was Image Stabilization for anyway. Its been a week without IS and I still havent really missed anything. Point is, a perfectly good camera would have been wasted had it not been for you guys.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #57 on: 21 / August / 2011, 08:51:17 »
@HamiltonBrand

Since your post detailing your setup and camera got removed, you'll need to repeat that info.
I can't promise that you'll get an easy solution like sh1981, nor that it's possible at all.
What you should try first is getting the exact error message with the vers.req method. Read the posts / links here, if you're unsure how to do it. I assume, your camera shows an error message then shuts down when trying to start it in record mode. You should also check, how soon that error message appears after powering on in record mode.

@sh1981

... including the one that pops up if the battery has run out of juice. I'm sure theres a little bit left in there that could be squeezed before the battery actually runs out.

Your IXUS has a Li-ion battery which gets damaged when depleted too much, so disabling this protection would not be wise.

Offline sh1981

« Reply #58 on: 22 / August / 2011, 15:33:18 »
@srsa_4c,

Thanks for pointing that out about the battery.

By the way, ever since I lost the Image Stabilization, I can't really tell the difference between the photos I took when I did have IS and now.

Do you think IS is just a lie to sell cameras for more?

If IS really does work, I just can't seem to figure out as to which conditions it helps in most.

Offline funnel

« Reply #59 on: 22 / August / 2011, 16:35:46 »
I see it clearly when recording movies at full zoom, they're useless without stabilization on.