S100 porting thread - page 3 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum

S100 porting thread

• 286 Replies
Re: S100 porting thread
« Reply #20 on: 07 / April / 2012, 04:38:18 »
Advertisements
I've been there. But I have only Linux, that's why I used LICKS.

edit: I tried the version from autobuild. Same problem there.
When I try to boot with the firmware update, the camera just shuts down.
« Last Edit: 07 / April / 2012, 07:39:43 by ch01ia »

« Reply #21 on: 07 / April / 2012, 08:29:45 »
edit: I tried the version from autobuild. Same problem there.
Neither the svn or "autobuild" servers have a port for the S100 so what did you download ?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #22 on: 07 / April / 2012, 08:36:41 »
There is a build here:
http://mighty-hoernsche.de/trunk/

« Reply #23 on: 07 / April / 2012, 10:36:24 »
When I try to boot with the firmware update, the camera just shuts down.
So if you get a menu item that allows you to try a firmware update, then the only two things that can go wrong at that point are :
  • You don't have the right firmware version of the code for your camera.
  • The ps.fi2 file in invalid.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline c10ud

« Reply #24 on: 07 / April / 2012, 12:36:23 »
I never tried with ps.fi2, i always used the lock sdcard method

« Reply #25 on: 10 / April / 2012, 17:14:48 »
Thankyou so much for doing this S100 port.  Today I have successfully loaded chdk on firmware 1.00D and ran my favourite interval script.  Great.  This is what i have been waiting for.

Some comments. I followed the installation instructions very closely however  I could not get the firmware to load via the update firmware menu, so I cannot set the card to be bootable.

However, when I 'lock' the card I can start the camera via the play button and then pressing the shutter opens the lens and takes it into shooting mode.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #26 on: 10 / April / 2012, 22:20:50 »
Some comments. I followed the installation instructions very closely however  I could not get the firmware to load via the update firmware menu, so I cannot set the card to be bootable.
When you say "could not get the firmware to load", what do you mean ?
- The camera crashes  (Screen goes black) ?
- The "firm update" menu does not appear ?
- something else ?

If it crashes, then we should disable FI2 for this camera until someone figures it out. If the menu option doesn't show, you've probably done something wrong.

However, when I 'lock' the card I can start the camera via the play button and then pressing the shutter opens the lens and takes it into shooting mode.
If CHDK is loading (camera doesn't show "card locked", chdk features work), I guess you used some other method to make the card bootable ?
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #27 on: 11 / April / 2012, 17:49:12 »
ok, I ran through the process again just to be sure.

When attempting to load chdk using the firmware update option.  After selecting firmware update it presents a screen that says 1.0.0.0 to 1.1.0.0, and I press OK.  After that the screen just goes blank.  nothing.  pressing the play button brings it back to life.

I then used EOScard1.2 to make the card bootable and 'locked' the card.  Now, the camera will only start in play mode (using either on/off button or the play button) but pressing the shutter will then put it into camera mode.  pressing play then activates chdk as normal and i can open the chdk menu.

Does that help?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #28 on: 11 / April / 2012, 23:04:50 »
ok, I ran through the process again just to be sure.

When attempting to load chdk using the firmware update option.  After selecting firmware update it presents a screen that says 1.0.0.0 to 1.1.0.0, and I press OK.  After that the screen just goes blank.  nothing.  pressing the play button brings it back to life.

I then used EOScard1.2 to make the card bootable and 'locked' the card.  Now, the camera will only start in play mode (using either on/off button or the play button) but pressing the shutter will then put it into camera mode.  pressing play then activates chdk as normal and i can open the chdk menu.

Does that help?
Yes, very clear, thanks :)

It sounds like it's crashing when using the firmware update method, so we should document that on the wiki + notes.txt and remove the fi2 file from the build until it's fixed.

The starting in play is normal for CHDK. By the time CHDK boots, we don't know which button the camera was started with. If things are implemented correctly, you can hold down the power button a bit longer to boot directly into record mode.

edit:
ch01ia reported the same thing on 101a, so I'm guessing it's broken for all firmware versions.

edit:
If the FI2 loading crash generates a romlog, that might help figure out what is going wrong.
This page http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Debugging#Camera_crash_logs_.28romlog.29 describes how to save the romlog.
« Last Edit: 12 / April / 2012, 01:11:51 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline c10ud

« Reply #29 on: 12 / April / 2012, 06:04:25 »
i didn't touch anything related to fi2 so i guess it just auto-broken or not-implemented-yet ;)

as for the boot, unfortunately i've been unable to find the correct value to check during boot in order to choose between play or rec so the camera only boots in play mode and then you have to switch manually (left as a todo in notes.txt)