eos M10 port - page 6 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum

eos M10 port

• 327 Replies

Offline srsa_4c

Re: eos M10 port
« Reply #50 on: 17 / February / 2017, 13:51:15 »
Advertisements
About IS: what part of IS is exactly 'on' all the time? It can be switched 'off' in the menu, and the camera should respect that when shooting. Is it known how much power is wasted?
Another problem is camera stuck during power off with non Canon IS lens.
I remember reading about this (if you have a link that describes the problem, can you post it?). Do you have an affected lens?

About card:
I don't know if the DIGIC can directly drive the SD card at UHS speeds or it needs a separate driver circuit. Are there hi-res photos somewhere that show a UHS capable Canon camera's PCBs?

Offline Ant

« Reply #51 on: 17 / February / 2017, 15:24:17 »
About IS: what part of IS is exactly 'on' all the time? It can be switched 'off' in the menu, and the camera should respect that when shooting. Is it known how much power is wasted?
Some answers can be found in this thread.
There is no controls switches on your ef-m 15-45 lens, so camera should respect the menu setting.

(if you have a link that describes the problem, can you post it?). Do you have an affected lens?
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/58979113
I hatehave Sigma.

I don't know if the DIGIC can directly drive the SD card at UHS speeds or it needs a separate driver circuit. Are there hi-res photos somewhere that show a UHS capable Canon camera's PCBs?
Just look for "UHS" string in your FW dump.
Canon EOS 760D main board photos
I don't see there extra chips for SD.
For more information about SD controller on Digic6 DSLRs please refer to a1ex. He implemented SD controller emulation in QEMU for EOS M3(at least).
« Last Edit: 17 / February / 2017, 16:15:52 by Ant »

Re: Canon EOS M10 owner / vintage lenses / RAW Re: eos M10 port
« Reply #52 on: 17 / February / 2017, 18:40:31 »
No way to get the shutter working with the old lenses
One of the C.Fn functions is "Release shutter without lens".
and, no RAW!
If you mean RAW video: that's not implemented on any CHDK supported camera at the moment. AFAIK Ant is doing some related research on the M3, but that's all.

If you have a fast UHS card, try running the benchmark and see if you can get write speeds above 20 MB/s. My attempts maxed out just below that limit.
Yeah, I got the shutter working with the old manual Pentax K lens, a question of RTFM. Got RAW files too although Canon DPP software can't seem to read them.

How do I run the benchmarks? Is there an CHDK Port in alpha/beta for the M10 available ? (can't wait to void the guarantee)

« Reply #53 on: 17 / February / 2017, 18:53:13 »
Is there an CHDK Port in alpha/beta for the M10 available ?
Re: eos M10 port - pre-alpha release
« Last Edit: 17 / February / 2017, 19:00:37 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #54 on: 17 / February / 2017, 18:55:49 »
How do I run the benchmarks?
They are in the CHDK -> Miscellaneous Stuff -> Tools menu.

can't wait to void the guarantee
There was some discussion about this a while ago and the consensus was that, once you remove the SD card, there is no way for anyone to know you were using CHDK  ;)
« Last Edit: 17 / February / 2017, 19:01:35 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #55 on: 18 / February / 2017, 11:31:58 »
Canon EOS 760D main board photos
I don't see there extra chips for SD.
Thanks. I also don't see anything resembling an interface circuit.
That leaves one possible reason: card speed is intentionally crippled on selected cameras, by software. They did a similar thing on some earlier DIGIC II Powershots: USB was limited to USB 1.1 speeds (even though the hardware supported USB 2.0).

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/58979113
I hatehave Sigma.
We could continue discussing this in the M3 thread as I don't have a problematic lens.
In that one minute timeout (after pressing the OFF button), do other tasks continue to work? Such as: keyboard, spytask, UART console, PTP?
Are only IS lenses affected?

Offline Ant

« Reply #56 on: 18 / February / 2017, 12:07:35 »
We could continue discussing this in the M3 thread as I don't have a problematic lens.
I already began a discussion there.

In that one minute timeout (after pressing the OFF button), do other tasks continue to work? Such as: keyboard, spytask, UART console, PTP?
Are only IS lenses affected?
I don't have third party lens without IS. There is no such probem with Canon lenses.

About another problem:
Can you hear IS activity of your EF-M 15-45? IS should be active even in playback mode.
« Last Edit: 18 / February / 2017, 12:11:21 by Ant »

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #57 on: 18 / February / 2017, 12:26:00 »
I already began a discussion there.
I remember now. Did you try doing what I suggested? You could print call stack, current task, initiate memory dump, etc when the eventflag matches the one stored at (0x12774 + 4).

About another problem:
Can you hear IS activity of your EF-M 15-45? IS should be active even in playback mode.
Now that you say it, yes. It's making an audible whirring noise when the camera is on. No idea why...

Offline Ant

« Reply #58 on: 18 / February / 2017, 13:06:04 »
Did you try doing what I suggested?
Not yet.

Now that you say it, yes. It's making an audible whirring noise when the camera is on. No idea why...
Do you hear this noise when IS is disabled in camera settings menu?

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #59 on: 19 / February / 2017, 07:25:38 »
Do you hear this noise when IS is disabled in camera settings menu?
Yes, regardless of play/rec mode.
That made me curious and checked a few of my newer Powershots with IS: all of them do that (audible noise coming from the camera, no matter if play or rec mode. Noise continues to come in power save mode too).
It's possible that parts of the firmware rely on the stabilizer being always powered.

I suppose the original M does not do this.

A possible solution would be to make the camera believe that the lens has no IS, I guess. No idea if that's possible without extensive amount of work, though. This method would likely not work for switching IS completely on/off on demand.