Trouble getting an SD1000 bootable SD card with STICK or CHDK - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Trouble getting an SD1000 bootable SD card with STICK or CHDK

• 2 Replies
Trouble getting an SD1000 bootable SD card with STICK or CHDK
« on: 22 / January / 2023, 14:47:08 »
Advertisements
Hey all, for some reason STICK hasn't been working for me at all. I've been using Windows 10 on a Lenovo W540 and a PowerShot SD1000 and every time STICK tries to create partitions, it creates unusable partitions that fail. It creates the partitions but Windows chimes in saying the newly created partitions need to be reformatted to use, and as such STICK is unable to copy files to them. This is an SD1000 so it needs the 2 partition setup. If I reformat them myself (partition 1, 16MB, FAT, partition 2, ~7GB, FAT32, inserted to the camera in read-only mode) and let STICK finish, it works properly, but when loading into the camera it displays the "no modules" error (the exact error escapes me, I've been using CHDK by update mode). Trying to make the SD card bootable through CHDK while loaded won't boot, and partitioning it in CHDK renders the SD card corrupted and unusable.

I'm not opposed to loading CHDK every time but it is rather annoying to do, I just have no idea what steps I need to take to either keep STICK from creating corrupted SD partitions or how I can do it myself to get it working. My next step is to try Linux, which I plan to do when I get home from work.

Thanks all in advance, been having so much fun with this camera now that it can shoot raw, while this project is aging I'm glad it's still around to mess with :)

Offline reyalp

Re: Trouble getting an SD1000 bootable SD card with STICK or CHDK
« Reply #1 on: 22 / January / 2023, 16:20:01 »
If I reformat them myself (partition 1, 16MB, FAT, partition 2, ~7GB, FAT32, inserted to the camera in read-only mode) and let STICK finish, it works properly, but when loading into the camera it displays the "no modules" error (the exact error escapes me, I've been using CHDK by update mode).
If you get the "missing modules" error when CHDK autoboots, you need to put the CHDK directory from the installation zip on the large partition.

Background:
When you boot CHDK on a dual partition card like this, the Canon firmware needs to find DISKBOOT.BIN on the small partition, because it only looks the BOOTDISK marker on FAT16 (or FAT12). After it loads DISKBOOT.BIN, CHDK starts and hides the original small partition. CHDK modules (and any other files CHDK accesses) are loaded later, so they need to be on the large partition.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Re: Trouble getting an SD1000 bootable SD card with STICK or CHDK
« Reply #2 on: 22 / January / 2023, 17:48:58 »
If you get the "missing modules" error when CHDK autoboots, you need to put the CHDK directory from the installation zip on the large partition.

Thanks for the info, it looks like STICK didn't expect my SD card reader to function the way it does or something, I made the partitions myself in Linux, let STICK copy over files and make it bootable, then pruned/moved what was necessary and everything works great now. Thanks for the help in breathing new life into this camera!