building usb-remote-cable - page 35 - Hotwire! Hardware Mods, Accessories and Insights - CHDK Forum  

building usb-remote-cable

• 474 Replies
Re: building usb-remote-cable
« Reply #340 on: 13 / December / 2010, 15:10:49 »
Advertisements
hi guy, i already posted this but this seems the right place to post it if im doing anything wrong just tell me or delete it. thanks.

I made a magentically activated remote, i delivers regulated 5v to the cam.

http://khopenpro.blogspot.com/2010/12/diy-underwater-camera-pt-1-camera.html

Offline achillies

• SX130IS
« Reply #341 on: 07 / February / 2011, 09:32:09 »
I built a USB remote last night (using an LED flashlight with 3 button cells), and while it works fine to trigger the shutter, the cameras flash does not flash even in low light.

Is this normal behavior, or do I have something not set right (either in CHDK or on camera firmware)?

I'm using a canon sx130IS, with a not-yet-beta version of chdk ported to this camera.  Even without CHDK running the flash does not flash, but the shutter triggers.  Any ideas?
Don't let the sands of time get in your lunch.

Offline SkyWalker9

• SX20 IS (fw 1.02b)
« Reply #342 on: 07 / February / 2011, 12:40:21 »
I built a USB remote last night (using an LED flashlight with 3 button cells), and while it works fine to trigger the shutter, the cameras flash does not flash even in low light.

Is this normal behavior, or do I have something not set right (either in CHDK or on camera firmware)?

I'm using a canon sx130IS, with a not-yet-beta version of chdk ported to this camera.  Even without CHDK running the flash does not flash, but the shutter triggers.  Any ideas?
Because the problem happens with and without CHDK, I'd suspect a camera setting. Your camera has the ability to set your flash to "Auto", "On", "Slow Sync", or "Off", I'd look at that first to see if it is set to "OFF". There is a photo in your Canon SX130IS Users Manual on page 159 that shows how it would look if it is set to off (item#16 on the photo). Hope this helps!

Offline achillies

• SX130IS
« Reply #343 on: 07 / February / 2011, 18:57:38 »
Thanks for the info Skywalker9!
I tried to get the flash to work using only my usb remote and the Canon settings (no CHDK running at all), and regardless of how they are set (always on, auto, etc.. ), I get no flash when the shutter is triggered. EDIT - In fact it doesn't take a picture, it only makes a sound as if it did.  It was my mistake thinking that the USB cable might have worked without CHDK

I DID discover that if I load CHDK, and use "extra photo operations", and set "force manual flash", it works, and I can also set the flash brightness, which also doesn't seem to work without CHDK.  Gotta love CHDK!..  EDIT - "Enable remote" on CHDK menu is what really did the trick.

But I still have to wonder why it doesn't work as expected using only Canon settings.  Again, it's an SX130IS.  Can anyone reproduce this? 
« Last Edit: 08 / February / 2011, 14:21:46 by achillies »
Don't let the sands of time get in your lunch.

« Reply #344 on: 21 / February / 2011, 02:48:36 »
Hi,
I am using CHDK for Canon Powershot SD 600 camera. I want to remotely trigger the camera; its very easy task but i am unable to manage this simple task using CHDK. I had made remote cable following the remote trigger cable tips of chd Then I used SDM same setup is working... It is take pictures using same cable.... I am unable to fix the problem... Pls help me in this regard.... I want to use CHDK for triggering the camera

« Reply #345 on: 30 / March / 2011, 22:00:19 »
Hi all.  This is my first post/interaction with CHDK period.  I am an R/C Helicopter pilot setting up for Aerial Photography and have settled on the Canon SX30IS camera.  I am seeing that there is the ability of a remote trigger via USB with CHDK, but my unfamiliarity with the entire thing has me scratching my head about a few things.  I am sure that my trouble is due to my ignorance on what things are called and how they work with this setup, so, please forgive me if this has been answered already, but I have not been able to find my answers thus far.

There are on/off switches that can be plugged into an open channel on the radio used to control the helicopter so that when a switch or knob or lever (depending on what channel you have used) is activated, the solid state switch will output 5V to whatever you have attached to it.  

Follow this link for an example: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVPROFIL=++&FVSEARCH=ramq2312

Can this simply be hooked up to a USB cable that is plugged into the SX30IS to trigger the shutter with CHDK?  ANd if so, what is needed to be done to wire the USB connecter to this switch and what and how does CHDK need to be told that this function is there?  Also, what would be needed to disable autopower off?
This item: http://www.blip.com.au/item.aspx?itemid=14&ref=8 does EVERYTHING I want, but I have not been able to get a response from the company regarding its compatibility with the SX30IS.

Thank you in advance for your help.
« Last Edit: 30 / March / 2011, 22:13:29 by thenodemaster »

« Reply #346 on: 31 / March / 2011, 01:33:17 »
You may want to have a look at this post:

http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6244.0

The trigger board may be a lot simpler than the other boards you looked at.

Offline zeno

« Reply #347 on: 31 / March / 2011, 03:47:48 »
You should also take a look here http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/gentwire/usb.htm

James Gentle's devices are widely used for Kite Aerial Photography.
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #348 on: 31 / March / 2011, 09:40:42 »
You should also take a look here http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/gentwire/usb.htm

James Gentle's devices are widely used for Kite Aerial Photography.
Awesome!  This is just what I was looking for!  Now, what I need to know is how do I script the functions?  I am not familiar with scripting whatsoever, but I can learn.  Where can I find the scripting info to trigger the shutter and zoom?

Offline zeno

« Reply #349 on: 31 / March / 2011, 18:11:12 »
There's stuff about the scripts (including downloads) here http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/gentwire/chdk_sdm/index.htm

Note that the page talks about SDM, rather than CHDK, but as yet the SX30 is not supported by SDM, only CHDK. The scripts should work form CHDK though, they don't use any SDM-specific features.

If all you want to do is trigger the shutter using a GentWIRE-USB, you don't need to run a script - just having CHDK running is enough (provided you set the "enable remote" option. If you want to use a GentWIRE-USB2 (which lets you use two R/C channels to control the camera) then you do need to run a script. The two channels send pulses of different lengths to the USB port and the script decodes them and does the appropriate action (eg shutter on one channel and zoom on the other).
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit