So the SX 20IS not supported via a "official build" per STICK pic results? - page 3 - CHDK Releases - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

So the SX 20IS not supported via a "official build" per STICK pic results?

• 39 Replies

Offline zeno

Advertisements
If you have a command window open, here's how to navigate to a directory that's visible on the screen:

1. in the command window, type "CD " (without the quotes) - don't press Enter yet
2. drag and drop the directory onto the command window - you'll see the full path appear after the blank at the end of  "CD "
3. click on the command window and press Enter (which will execute the CD command

The current directory of the command window is now the one you 'dropped'. If you do this using the STICK directory, you can then type "stickx" and press Enter.

Dave
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

Okay, I did this as best I could and the new cd window result is this:

“...the filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect”

This looks like another error message.

Okay, I did this as best I could and the new cd window result is this: “...the filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect” This looks like another error message.
And it's another message we can't really help you with.   Please post a screen shot of your terminal window when this happens.  If you don't know how to do this from your PC keyboard, then take a picture of your computer monitor with your mobile phone or Canon camera and post it here. Please.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Hello.

Here is a screenshot of that latest cmd message...

Thanks,
Bill

Here is a screenshot of that latest cmd message...
Well,  that certainly explains it.  I think zeno's suggestion was a bit misleading.  You missed a space in the command at the beginning and you are trying to change directories to a file name with this command as you entered it.   

What you should have typed is just this :

cd  C:\Users\wildbill999.wildbill999-hp\AppData\Local\Temp

followed by

stickx

waterwingz:

Okay I have tried again various renditions see screenshot. After temp I have entered stickx with and without a space and hit entered. Same type of error message.

Let me know what you think is going wrong.

I had a new wrinkle on the win 8 pc it had asked if it was okay to run the program and when I hit yes it disappeared again. No further sign of the program anywhere on the desktop, taskbar, etc.

Thanks

Offline zeno

I think you did not navigate to the directory containing STICK which is what you need to do since that's where the stickx.cmd file is. It's clearly not in the temp directory you went to.

Try again but this time drag and drop the STICK directory.

And don't forget the blank after the 'CD' - my instructions did mention it.
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

I just realized what has most likely been wrong here from the start of this thread.    Doh!

Throughout all of this discussion,  you have not actually installed STICK! 

Using either Win7 or Win8, you have simply been looking at the STICK ZIP file contents and seeing all the files needed to run STICK.  You need to extract (or unpack, or install, etc) those files from the ZIP and put them in their own directory folder.   Then you will be able to double click on the stickx file or run it from the command line.

You were trying to run the executable from within a ZIP file.  Older versions of Windows would not do that  but 7&8 Windows is smart enough to extract the executable file and load/run it when you do that.  But it won't extract anything else automatically and without the rest of the support DLL files also extracted, STICK fails. That's also why you can't find stickx from the command line - it's still buried in the ZIP file and thus can't be run from the command line.

Offline zeno

You're right WW - looking back at the contents of the 'folder' I can see that it was just listing the zip file.

With any luck, just extracting the files should solve the problem.
A570, S100, Ixus 127

Thanks for noticing that. It is most likely the problem and as I mentioned I've been having problems with my go to file extractor, 7zip.
I thought windows explorer had unzipped the files okay so later tonight I will start over from the top.

Thanks,
Bill