building usb-remote-cable - page 5 - Hotwire! Hardware Mods, Accessories and Insights - CHDK Forum

building usb-remote-cable

• 474 Replies

Offline Pauls9

• S3 IS
Re: building usb-remote-cable
« Reply #40 on: 29 / February / 2008, 05:36:03 »
Advertisements
Bondo: The USB interface isn't powered by the camera. You need to supply the voltage from outside. :(

Offline wontolla

• S3 & G9 & A720
« Reply #41 on: 29 / February / 2008, 06:59:00 »
Regarding my previous post; what is the practical limitation to continuous photo shooting with a Canon S3IS via the usb cable?
If I'm not mistaking, when you have the camera in continuous mode and hold your finger in the control button, it will keep shooting. I mean, while there is a voltage present at the USB cable, the remote control script will shoot indefinitely. I will try it tonight to make sure.

So, I guess what you could build is some kind of circuit with a microphone and an amplifier. The microphone will give you mV when it hears a sound and you have to amplify that voltage up to 3V. That's to take a shot if you clap or something.

To take multiple shots you can go either the hardware or the software way:

In a hw solution you need to hold those 3V for a few seconds may be using a timer like the 555 you mentioned. You can adjust it to give you a pulse, say every 5 seconds and when there is a voltage present at the microphone the 555 starts counting and provides the 3V needed.

In a sw solution, you just modify the control remote script to hold the shooter button for several seconds.

IMO the software way is easier. I can help you with the script if you want but I bet you can understand it anyways, it is pretty easy.

P.S. You can add a potentiometer to the cirtuit, so the user can addjust the level of sound needed to trigger the camera.

databoy

« Reply #42 on: 29 / February / 2008, 07:55:35 »
Wontolla, thanks for the reply.

I checked my local electronics stores for kits. While the components are cheap; finding a ready made printed circuit board is the problem. I found an electret microphone kit; by the description it has enough drive to trigger a 555 timer circuit. Saturated audio distortion is not a problem. As long as the 555 timer is triggered that can drive a second 555 with either a square wave or an extended pulse.

The remote doorbell I purchased has a chime of about 8 seconds. In my case the doorbell will trigger the 555 which will trigger the camera. If I want to use the trigger for detecting noise it is a simple matter of mounting the microphone in a tube or reflector.

I will purchase the components next week and build it on a breadboard. As you said software may be easier; probably a combination of the two may give users enough flexibility. For example detect pulses for the duration of the pulses, if there is a one second delay stop the shutter.

I will post my results so everyone can benefit from them.

« Reply #43 on: 29 / February / 2008, 23:46:35 »
This article shows how to modify a Heath-Zenith doorbell for a 3V trigger.  It should work for a camera.
Hacker's Bench : Wireless Doorbell Hacking

« Reply #44 on: 01 / March / 2008, 03:37:16 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 13:10:23 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

Offline Coutts

• www.flickr.com/couttsphotog
    • Flickr
My USB Remote Shutter Trigger
« Reply #45 on: 01 / March / 2008, 17:23:08 »
So i read up on the remote trigger and i set off to make my own. first i found that the IXUS70/SD1000 needed atleast 5v of power to respond to the remote trigger, that would take 4 AA batteries which would make 6V, thats alot of batteries. I said screw it and just used 1 9v battery, it responds every time to the trigger and so far no signs of fried camera electronics so i dont think its too much voltage. Heres my initial version :lol

i made that last night with what i had laying around the house, after seeing it worked great i said i'd go to radioshack today and make a better one. Heres what i started with:

And this is what i came up with:

:D :D :D This is so neat! It works awesome, CHDK FTMFW!!!!!!!!!

for those wondering, all i did was take a 9v battery connector from radioshack, connect the ground wire to the black ground wire in the usb cable, and put a switch between the positive lead from the battery and the positive lead from the usb cable, when i push the button it triggers the shutter. I also used this script that i found on here for it:

Code: [Select]
@title Remote button

while 1
  wait_click 1
  if is_key "remote" then shoot
wend
end

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

Offline GrAnd

• [A610, S3IS]
    • CHDK
« Reply #46 on: 01 / March / 2008, 17:40:59 »
9V directly to USB? :o
CHDK Developer.

« Reply #47 on: 01 / March / 2008, 19:02:15 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 13:10:48 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

Offline Coutts

• www.flickr.com/couttsphotog
    • Flickr
« Reply #48 on: 02 / March / 2008, 10:02:11 »
i dont get it, if 9v was going to kill the camera wouldnt it have done it already? what are the risks im running?
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #49 on: 02 / March / 2008, 10:21:59 »
Well, you're using - depending on camera - a little more or less than twice the voltage present in the camera.
Unless you know the specs of Canon's USB interface, that does not seem a good idea ...

wim