the collaborative CHDK build - page 20 - CHDK Releases - CHDK Forum

the collaborative CHDK build

• 249 Replies
Re: the collaborative CHDK build
« Reply #190 on: 21 / September / 2008, 16:11:40 »
Advertisements

A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I agree completely !

Good quote   :)

« Reply #191 on: 21 / September / 2008, 21:07:08 »
Hiya, folks.
Glad to see you're a part of this discussion, David.
Since we're all in the same "room" together, could I get anyone to help put the manual focus for the TX-1 into this build? The SDM apparently has this feature, though I have not tested it. I'm looking for THIS build also to have that feature.
Thanks, guys.
Whoa-Hey! Careful where you point that thing. You're gonna shoot someone!

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/DoF_Stacking

Offline reyalp

« Reply #192 on: 21 / September / 2008, 22:53:11 »
FWIW, I've been unable to find a TX-1 100g dump.

In an attempt to slim the current build down a bit, I've committed the following (changeset 522):
Made games compile time optional. Set or unset OPT_GAME_* in root makefile.inc. Default is enabled.
Moved sokoban levels from static data (gui_sokoban_levels.h) to file CHDK/GAMES/SOKOBAN.LEV
This is must be unix format text file. Each level ends with an !
You can add levels if you want, but they must be no more than 15x15, and it isn't particularly tolerant of incorrect formatting. No more than 200 will be recognized. If you need more, see a doctor. If the file is missing or no levels are found, sokoban will not start.

This saves 11776 bytes of static memory. ~1k more could be saved if sokoban knew when you quit.
Disabling sokoban entirely saves a further 4208
Disabling reversi saves 3072
Adding tetris costs ??  :D

edit:
Whoops, forgot to add GAMES to the full zip. Now #523
« Last Edit: 21 / September / 2008, 23:49:31 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #193 on: 22 / September / 2008, 01:20:40 »
Sdm is so popular because it doesnt have feature overload like chdk?

Who mentioned SDM  ?

well, you talked about sdm in your post, if not - my bad.

reyalp - yes i understand there have to be made some decisions about some features, that is undoubtedly true. but i dont like the fact that there are people jumping the bandwagon and listing all the features they dont need or like.
and it also might be true that there are more memory issues other than the one ewavr reported - but do we know for sure? if people dont report things, we cannot fix em ;)
making things compile time optional is okay. maybe we can even go so far as to create two flavors - one slim and one "one size fits all"  by makefile flags as well (so the autobuild carries both flavours).
regarding lua vs ubasic: well, ubasic is much simpler to understand at first (especially for people who are not tech-savvy) but in the long run, lua will be the main language i guess. especially considering the fact that we will deploy chdk with a best-of working scripts already in the autobuild zips (so 99% of the people already have what they want, the rest can either learn lua or do already know it - my guess).

« Reply #194 on: 22 / September / 2008, 02:13:57 »
Is it too late to get the original full version of CHDK before lots of original stuff is being removed? I'll just consider that the last official build of CHDK then and enjoy it as it is.

From this thread it looks like build 520 or so will be the last real build of CHDK, now it's just turning into a computer-programmer's experimental plaything. I didn't get build 520, is it posted somewhere?

Thanks.

Offline Hacki

• EOS 80D
« Reply #195 on: 22 / September / 2008, 02:46:50 »
Is it too late to get the original full version of CHDK before lots of original stuff is being removed? I'll just consider that the last official build of CHDK then and enjoy it as it is.

From this thread it looks like build 520 or so will be the last real build of CHDK, now it's just turning into a computer-programmer's experimental plaything. I didn't get build 520, is it posted somewhere?

Thanks.

What the heck?  ???

1. as far as i know, chdk always was 'some programmers experimental plaything'

2. (imho unfortunately) there are no features whatsoever about to be removed. everything will just stay where it is, no matter how useful/less it may appear in some peoples eyes.

3. you know svn? you have access to the source code of chdk, in every revision, since the beginning. you can always pick a certain revision you liked, and build it on your own.

Regards
« Last Edit: 22 / September / 2008, 02:48:59 by Hacki »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #196 on: 22 / September / 2008, 03:27:31 »
Erm, nothing has been removed yet. Some people have mentioned things they wouldn't miss/would like to see gone. Some things have been made easy to turn on or off at compile time.

AFAIK, everyone agrees that the long term solution is to allow loadable binaries, meaning that every feature anyone wants to maintain can continue to exist, without taking any memory away from anything else unless you decide to run it. Making this happen isn't that hard. mx3 says one function, I'd say it's a bit more to get it actually useful, but it's definitely in the cards.

I'm not sure if hacki's autobuilds are archived, but you can get 523 (which has nothing removed except some wasted space) here: CHDK Download - build 0.5.4, revision #523

OTOH, you might want to hang on a build or two, I have another 10-15k of easy fat to trim without touching any features :)

Ironically, most the things being suggested for removal are the programmers toys (games, splash screens, image process stuff that is far more suited to the PC). No one is suggesting removing the core photography related features.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #197 on: 22 / September / 2008, 05:02:27 »
well, you talked about sdm in your post

I DID NOT.
I mentioned 'StereoPhoto Maker'.
Your little outburst was unnecessary and unjustified.

>  if not - my bad.

Your bad what ?

Offline Hacki

• EOS 80D
« Reply #198 on: 22 / September / 2008, 05:03:48 »
>  if not - my bad.

Your bad what ?

Even though i'm not a native english speaker, i guess 'my bad' is supposed to mean "my fault, sorry"  ...

« Reply #199 on: 22 / September / 2008, 05:08:28 »
Even though i'm not a native english speaker, i guess 'my bad' is supposed to mean "my fault, sorry"  ...

Your understanding of English is better than most Americans (or those using American expressions)   :)