A1000IS porting...

• 297 Replies

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: A1000IS porting...
« Reply #40 on: 08 / December / 2008, 06:34:10 »
Advertisements
...I downloaded the user manual (http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0300001222/PSA1000IS_CUG_EN_02.pdf), but I could not find where I would set the focus to infinity (except setting landscape mode)...

--> page 65 !  (Button "LEFT", not available in Auto-mode)

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #41 on: 08 / December / 2008, 06:40:56 »
@EyP3

Not sure if i understand your Q , but AFAIK all Canon P&S can be set to infinity by choosing Landscape ('mountain' symbol)
in the Canon mini menu popping up if you press <Left> (AKA the same place you select macro)
See page 65 of your manual

wim

edit: $#@! too slow again

Offline EyP3

« Reply #42 on: 08 / December / 2008, 08:46:37 »
Thanks, got it.
That leaves the questions for the shutter priority mode and continuous shooting with defined interval?
Thanks for any help!
Norbert

« Reply #43 on: 08 / December / 2008, 14:34:56 »
Hi,
Just want to give a quick update to 1.00a firmware users. I found that a lot of code is same between 1.00a and 1.00b. I might take a while to check everything is same between the two. But I would request 1.00a users to try the binary attached with this message. From what I found, there was a small change in canon_data_src address. So for now I have changed only that and built it. Please spend a couple of minutes in installing this binary and test whether camera boots up or not.
To install->
1. Use card tricks and make your card bootable
2. Copy DISKBOOT.BIN from this msg.
3. Lock the SD card.
4. Start camera.
5. Check the page for how to use: CHDK firmware usage - CHDK Wiki

Let me know your observations.

Norbert,
You can have shutter priority mode with CHDK. Also scripts can be written to do continuous shooting with defined interval. Refer to CHDK FAQ and CHDK usage in CHDK - CHDK Wiki to know how to do it with CHDK. You might want to start right away with the latest binary posted earlier.

Offline EyP3

« Reply #44 on: 08 / December / 2008, 16:58:43 »
Diablo,
many thanks for your answer and especially also many thanks for your hard work!
I would start right away to test your port, if I already had the camera :-). However, your message is really good news and so I think next thing for me is to buy the cam. I will have a look at the CHDK faq and as soon as I got the cam, you can count on me as a new tester!
Many thanks!
Norbert

« Reply #45 on: 08 / December / 2008, 20:10:35 »
As promised, I played around with override shutter speed, ISO, and aperture.

They all seemed to work as they're supposed to. I didn't go as far as opening the pictures on the computer and comparing them at 100% zoom, but from the light exposure difference on the pictures, those features seem to be working and I didn't find any bugs on the quick run down that I did on them.

The same goes for Bracketing in Continuous Mode.

Minor Bugs:
Zebra Mode - When zebra mode is activated, the shutter speed and aperture value that usually show up on the bottom-left side screen (when the shutter button is pressed halfway), only stay on the screen for a short time. As soon as the zebra mode appears on the screen, the aperture value  and shutter speed disappear. This can be fixed by turning the zebra mode off.
Note: It seems that checking the Restore OSD option, inside the Zebra Parameters menu causes the apperture value and shutter speed to stay on screen a tiny bit longer.
Unchecking it, and then selecting [OSD] on the "Draw Over Zebra" option, causes the OSD to show up only for a very short time.

I hope this explanation made some sense.

Menu auto-clearing - When browsing through the HDCK menus and the camera detects a face(s) (When the face detection is turned on by the FACE SELECT button), the menu clears. Pushing the up/down buttons on the camera to further browse the menus make the menu reappear once again.

That's all that I got so far. I'm starting to get very comfortable with CHDK, and I'm starting to really love it. I don't mean to sound redundant, but I just can't express it enough... thank you for your efforts Diablo, it's coming out great! :D
« Last Edit: 08 / December / 2008, 20:15:40 by tyrantt23 »

« Reply #46 on: 09 / December / 2008, 05:33:32 »
You are a genuine hero. I have retrieved the file.

As I have had no chance of playing around I need to work out what to do with it. (Maybe we need a guide to CHDK for people who are not intelligent enough to qualify as dummies.)

MK
Powershot A1000IS, EOS 400D
Canon A1 (x2) etc....

« Reply #47 on: 09 / December / 2008, 19:36:54 »
You are a genuine hero. I have retrieved the file.

As I have had no chance of playing around I need to work out what to do with it. (Maybe we need a guide to CHDK for people who are not intelligent enough to qualify as dummies.)

Hey, I'll try to post a short version of a how-to. It should work, but if it doesn't or if you get stuck in some place, let me know and I'll write it up in more detail. :)

Before proceeding, be sure you have already downloaded the latest version of the CHDK port that Diablo has made that works for your camera firmware.

Also, make sure you make make a copy of all the pictures and files in your SD card to your computer. Part of the process will format the SD card to make it bootable, so you will lose everything in it.

1. Download the latest version of Card Tricks from this link.
2. Extract the downloaded zip file.
3. Insert the SD card into your computer, or a card reader.
4. Run CardTricks.exe
Warning: This next step will erase everything in your SD Card. Make sure you make copies of any files you want to keep.
5. Click on the "Make Bootable" button, under "CHDK Autorun:"
6. Wait for the card to be formated.
7. Copy the CHDK Port from Diablo, DISKBOOT.BIN, to the root of your newly formatted SD Card.
8. Remove the SD card from the computer.
9. Move the "Lock" switch on the SD card onto the Lock position
10. Insert it in the camera, and then turn the camera on. CHDK should now be loaded.

To access the CHDK Menu, push the <ALT.> Button in the camera (the one with the print symbol), and then push the <DISP.> button.

Hope this helps. :)

« Reply #48 on: 09 / December / 2008, 22:02:20 »
I think I found another minor bug. I will run some more tests tomorrow.

Focus Bracketing:
Suppose I set the focus bracketing to be 5, with a value 100 for multiple, and suppose that my original focus is 50mm. If I set the bracketing type to [ + ], then the continuous pictures should come out with the following focus values:
50mm
50mm + 5*100 = 550mm
550mm + 5*100 = 1050mm
1050mm + 5*100 = 1550mm
1550mm + 5*100 = 2050mm, and so on.

Instead, only the first focus in the bracket seem to come out. Example:
50mm
50mm + 5*100 = 550mm
50mm + 5*100 = 550mm
50mm + 5*100 = 550mm, and so on.

The same thing seemed to happen for the [+/-] bracketing as well, and didn't seem make a difference which value I picked for the focus bracketing/multiple.

ps. Let me know if you think I'm doing something wrong, or if you're pretty certain those parts of CHDK are bug free. I don't want to be posting false bugs and get in your way. :)

Like I said, I'll run some more tests tomorrow. My camera's battery just ran out and I need to recharge it.
« Last Edit: 10 / December / 2008, 23:19:20 by tyrantt23 »

« Reply #49 on: 11 / December / 2008, 06:38:50 »
Hope this helps. :)
It sure does.

I wish I had seen something that simple before I tried it.

It was the last step that I hadn't found.

and then push the <DISP.> button.

Just played around a bit and see all sorts of delights.

I don't seem to have access to the "back" entry in the "Main Menu". It scrolls down as far as "Miscellaneous stuff" and sticks.

But there doesn't seem to be much need for that, even though there is a "back" bar that I cannot reach.

Looks like the "minor tweaks" to get it to work for the "0a" version did a pretty good job. You could describe it as "Diablobolically" neat.

Thanks to everyone.
MK
Powershot A1000IS, EOS 400D
Canon A1 (x2) etc....