CHDK for PowerShot G1 X? - page 7 - CHDK Releases - CHDK Forum  

CHDK for PowerShot G1 X?

• 101 Replies
PowerShot G1 X with firmware 1.0.1a
« Reply #60 on: 02 / April / 2013, 18:14:56 »
Advertisements
Hi,

First, thank you for your efforts to adapt the CHDK to this new firmware version (1.0.1.a).
In main it is working, I hadn't time to test it exhaustively.

Yet I observed an important bug regarding the screen.
If you want to take a picture of yourself and rotate the screen so that it points the same direction as the camera (you are looking to the objective and the screen in the same time), the screen is becoming white and and you cannot see anything on it, it is pure white.
It is becoming white just for the last 15 degree of rotation and in the final position, at the maximum rotation angle.
At any other angle is not white.
It doesn't count if you are in shooting mode or in picture view mode, the phenomenon is the same.
This is not happening with the original camera firmware.

Maybe you can take a look and see if can be corrected.

Thank you!

Offline philmoz

• Photos
Re: CHDK for PowerShot G1 X?
« Reply #61 on: 02 / April / 2013, 18:53:45 »
Hi,

First, thank you for your efforts to adapt the CHDK to this new firmware version (1.0.1.a).
In main it is working, I hadn't time to test it exhaustively.

Yet I observed an important bug regarding the screen.
If you want to take a picture of yourself and rotate the screen so that it points the same direction as the camera (you are looking to the objective and the screen in the same time), the screen is becoming white and and you cannot see anything on it, it is pure white.
It is becoming white just for the last 15 degree of rotation and in the final position, at the maximum rotation angle.
At any other angle is not white.
It doesn't count if you are in shooting mode or in picture view mode, the phenomenon is the same.
This is not happening with the original camera firmware.

Maybe you can take a look and see if can be corrected.

Thank you!

Turn of the 'Flashlight' in the Miscellaneous menu.

Phil.
CHDK ports:
  sx30is (1.00c, 1.00h, 1.00l, 1.00n & 1.00p)
  g12 (1.00c, 1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)
  ixus310hs (1.00a & 1.01a)
  sx40hs (1.00d, 1.00g & 1.00i)
  g1x (1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  g5x (1.00c, 1.01a, 1.01b)
  g7x2 (1.01a, 1.01b, 1.10b)

« Reply #62 on: 02 / April / 2013, 19:21:09 »
Thanks philmoz for the hint,

indeed after I turned off the flashlight it is working.
Is that the intended behavior?

have a nice day!

« Reply #63 on: 25 / April / 2013, 03:45:36 »
What new options does CHDK provide for the camera?

« Reply #64 on: 25 / April / 2013, 23:00:07 »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline lapser

« Reply #65 on: 10 / September / 2013, 18:03:47 »
I've run into a problem with the 101a port and my time lapse mods. It looks like maybe the raw_buffers address is changing when the shutter time is >1 second, i.e. tv96<0. @straessi found the problem, and made some raw files which may be helpful.

@straessi, it would be useful for you to post some CHDK raw and jpg files from the latest, standard CHDK build to make sure it's not my modifications that are causing the problem. Try taking a picture with manual exposure and shutter time just over and just under 1 second.  See if you can create a corrupted DNG raw file with standard CHDK. Or maybe philmoz will figure it out from looking at the port first.

Thanks.
It looks like there is something wrong with the G1 X 101a firmware port.

I had a look at the DNG files. There seems to be an issue there. Some of them look quite pink.
I uploaded some sample pictures (dng and jpeg files plus the log file).
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55970719/Sample_raw_files.rar
EOS-M3_120f / SX50_100b / SX260_101a / G1X_100g / D20_100b
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrLapser/videos

Offline philmoz

• Photos
« Reply #66 on: 12 / September / 2013, 05:09:45 »
I've run into a problem with the 101a port and my time lapse mods. It looks like maybe the raw_buffers address is changing when the shutter time is >1 second, i.e. tv96<0. @straessi found the problem, and made some raw files which may be helpful.

@straessi, it would be useful for you to post some CHDK raw and jpg files from the latest, standard CHDK build to make sure it's not my modifications that are causing the problem. Try taking a picture with manual exposure and shutter time just over and just under 1 second.  See if you can create a corrupted DNG raw file with standard CHDK. Or maybe philmoz will figure it out from looking at the port first.

Thanks.
It looks like there is something wrong with the G1 X 101a firmware port.

I had a look at the DNG files. There seems to be an issue there. Some of them look quite pink.
I uploaded some sample pictures (dng and jpeg files plus the log file).
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55970719/Sample_raw_files.rar

Looks to me like the shot_histogram calculation and shot_histogram_delay are preventing CHDK from saving the DNG file before the firmware starts the process of conversion to JPEG.

Phil.
CHDK ports:
  sx30is (1.00c, 1.00h, 1.00l, 1.00n & 1.00p)
  g12 (1.00c, 1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)
  ixus310hs (1.00a & 1.01a)
  sx40hs (1.00d, 1.00g & 1.00i)
  g1x (1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  g5x (1.00c, 1.01a, 1.01b)
  g7x2 (1.01a, 1.01b, 1.10b)

« Reply #67 on: 12 / September / 2013, 10:12:24 »

I tried to create corrupted DNG files by taking pictures manually around 1 sec exposure, with the "g1x-101a-1.3.0-3100-full" auto build from the download site and also with the custom build "g1x-101a-1.3.0-r3038" which I was running the TLapse script with and had the problems, but I couldn't reproduce it. It all seems fine.
« Last Edit: 12 / September / 2013, 12:25:49 by straessi »

Offline lapser

« Reply #68 on: 12 / September / 2013, 13:45:55 »
I tried to create corrupted DNG files by taking pictures manually around 1 sec exposure, with the "g1x-101a-1.3.0-3100-full" auto build from the download site and also with the custom build "g1x-101a-1.3.0-r3038" which I was running the TLapse script with and had the problems, but I couldn't reproduce it. It all seems fine.
Did you try it in continuous mode (standard and custom CHDK build) taking multiple pictures while saving DNG's?  Try saving 5 or 10 dng files at exposures >1 second and see if any are corrupted.

I didn't look at your dng files with the time lapse program, but were all the corrupted ones exposed >1 second? Can you still see a picture in the dng, but just with weird colors and contrast? Were there any lines in the dng pictures?

Looks to me like the shot_histogram calculation and shot_histogram_delay are preventing CHDK from saving the DNG file before the firmware starts the process of conversion to JPEG.
That could be it, but there seems to be something different in the 101a build with exposures over 1 second in continuous mode. The shot meters aren't garbage, like a wrong raw buffer address. All 4 meters just get brighter, but their relative brightness rank to each other stays the same, like they're still reading the same picture. There are 4 meters, each measuring a different area of the picture. The brightness difference for <1 second shots and >1 second seems to be constant for an individual meter. Meter readings are in ev96. They all get brighter, but not by adding a constant ev96 value. It's looks more like the ev96 meter values are MULTIPLIED by a constant.

My guess at this point is that the 101a Canon firmware turns up the gain of the sensor by about 2 ev for exposures over 1 second in continuous mode. This would make continuous faster in low light, at the expense of higher noise. But with the G1X, they'd just be turning a 14 bit sensor into a 12 bit sensor as far as noise is concerned. The effect on the raw pixels would be non-linear, which would mess up the dng files. Canon would have to compensate for it when it produced its native raw files or jpg.

A test of this theory would be to set the exposure manually to 2 seconds, and take pictures in continuous mode (without DNG saving).  It should take a shot about every 2.25 seconds. My theory predicts the rate will be faster, i.e. around 1.25 shots per second. This would be a pretty cool feature, especially if I can figure out how to compensate for it in the meter readings.

My time lapse script also works in single shot mode, with about a .75 seconds between shots instead of .25 in continuous mode.  Will you try a running the script in single shot? See if you can get it to flutter in continuous, and then try it in single shot to see if the fluttering goes away.
EOS-M3_120f / SX50_100b / SX260_101a / G1X_100g / D20_100b
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrLapser/videos

« Reply #69 on: 12 / September / 2013, 14:42:17 »
Okay thanks for the hints. I will continue testing.
One thing I'm not quite sure about is: How do I set the script to continuous mode or to single shot mode? Do I have to set the interval time to 0, so that it immediately takes a new picture for continuous mode and otherwise it is in single shot mode?