Looking for an expert developer to provide paid assistance - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum  

Looking for an expert developer to provide paid assistance

• 15 Replies
Looking for an expert developer to provide paid assistance
« on: 29 / August / 2008, 16:43:22 »
Advertisements
Hi all,

I've recently found this great tool and I'm looking for someone in the community who has broad knowledge of CHDK to help answer some questions.  I have a need for some custom development that involves a basic UI and some file interaction (presumably from an SD Card).

I would like to have a meeting via phone with an expert who will be able to determine if my goals for this custom development are possible, and if so, pay that person to make the changes happen. 

Ideally, the expert will have a professional software development background and references detailing past contract work that was delivered on time and on budget.

You may need to sign an NDA before we can get into the development details, but an NDA isn't required for the initial phone meeting.

I'd like to reiterate that I am only interested in talking to experts who have a macro view of the CHDK software.

[admin struck out this paragraph]

Doug
« Last Edit: 31 / August / 2008, 17:17:28 by acseven »

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
Re: Looking for an expert developer to provide paid assistance
« Reply #1 on: 29 / August / 2008, 16:58:10 »
mind if i ask how gpl & nda will become good friends?

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #2 on: 29 / August / 2008, 17:14:21 »
@crushmeguy : GPL !  >:(

« Reply #3 on: 29 / August / 2008, 17:22:06 »
PhyrePhoX,

Not a problem, PhyrePhoX.  The only reason an NDA might be required is because all contractors working with our company (whether working with open license or proprietary code) need to not tell our competitors about the products we are building.  It's a legal department thing which I have no control over, unfortunately.  Our NDA doesn't prohibit a developer from keeping the modified library GPL'ed.

Does that clear it up?

Doug

« Reply #4 on: 29 / August / 2008, 17:25:00 »
Guys,

Am I missing something?  When did it become immoral to be paid to work on GPL'ed software?

Doug

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #5 on: 29 / August / 2008, 17:31:01 »
Am I missing something?  When did it become immoral to be paid to work on GPL'ed software?

Not immoral if the GPL / rules of open source will be adhered - but we had some bad experiences with GPL violations, so some people here may be a bit sensitive  ;)

Offline Hacki

• EOS 80D
« Reply #6 on: 29 / August / 2008, 17:37:17 »
If the stuff gets released under the GPL anyways, why dont you post your questions here in public?
I assume you'll get much more answers & ideas that way..

Regards

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #7 on: 29 / August / 2008, 17:39:24 »
well, it certainly will be bad for all the people who contributed to this project, be it via code, bugreports, suggestions or other jobs. taking gpled code and turning it into a commercial product is like stealing candy from a baby (very easy!). candy = sourcecode. baby = community. baby sad. baby cry.
« Last Edit: 29 / August / 2008, 17:47:29 by PhyrePhoX »

« Reply #8 on: 29 / August / 2008, 18:00:11 »
I'm sorry for your past bad experiences, and I understand why people can get sensitive about stuff like this.  I'm also a developer and I can't imagine how I would feel if someone stole my hard written code.

There are a couple of reasons I don't ask my questions in the forums. 

Firstly, I want to speak with an authority, not a group.  It is just easier to communicate with one knowledgeable source.  I need a point man. 

Secondarily, if the product idea isn't feasible with CHDK, I don't want any of our competitors to see what we are attempting to develop here in plain sight.  My ideas aren't open until they hit the marketplace.  I'd like to keep them on the down low until we decide on a technology. 

Lastly, I have many questions which may branch and get technical.  I want to have a meeting because they are efficient.  I don't want to post on a message board and await a reply.  Then post.  Then wait.  It is a relatively slow process.

And for the comment about stealing code - there is no theft here.  I fully understand the ramifications of extending GPL'ed software and the responsibilities that come with it.  Yes, I would like to use this software to make money.  There's no shame in making money - unless that's all you care about.

I'm not trying to make enemies here.  In fact I'm looking to make a solid working relationship with someone.

Doug
« Last Edit: 29 / August / 2008, 18:02:39 by crushmeguy »

Offline true

• SX230, SX260, 5DmkII, and more :)
« Reply #9 on: 29 / August / 2008, 19:00:17 »
mind if i ask how gpl & nda will become good friends?

You can have GPL software that is covered under NDA. GPL deals with distribution.

Quote from: fe50
@crushmeguy : GPL !  Angry

Again, distribution.

If you hire someone to do private development work for you, and they work on GPL'd software, there isn't anything illegal about it. You only need to deal with releasing source if the application is distributed. GPL is not an EULA.

That said, I refuse to sign NDAs, and therefore would be of little help to to you, crushmeguy. That, and since when are development projects regularly completed on time and on budget? Oh yeah, those that are incomplete. ;) (I kid. Somewhat.)
Canon P&S: 110HS, SX260HS, SX230HS, 2x A720 IS, 2x A590 IS
Canon DSLR: 5D Mark II, 300D IR-converted, 8x glass
MFT: DMC-GF1, DMC-G3, 7x glass