hyperfocal distance and my SX100 - page 2 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

hyperfocal distance and my SX100

• 40 Replies
Re: hyperfocal distance and my SX100
« Reply #10 on: 30 / October / 2018, 09:40:21 »
Advertisements
S/NL/FL/DOF/HYP :.388/.336/.407/.099/2.51 for example (in MF); but I couldn't figure out how to set the HYP, except by guessing it's location on the bar.

AFAIK there is no single press function to set the focus to the hyper focal distance.  But if you manually adjust the focus until the "S" value in the DOF calculator matches the "HYP" value then you'll have it.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #11 on: 30 / October / 2018, 11:09:39 »
AFAIK there is no single press function to set the focus to the hyper focal distance.
I'm afraid that's not true. See my answer in reply #1. You can set MF to the hyperfocal distance with two clicks. Follow the CHDK manual: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_1.4.0_User_Manual#Camera_Key_Usage_with_CHDK

CHDK manual focus enabled (with <ALT>)
  • up – Set MF to infinity
  • down – Set MF distance to hyperfocal distance (based on f/stop and zoom focal-length).

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

« Reply #12 on: 30 / October / 2018, 18:25:45 »
Hi msi,
        I don't seem to be able to get it to work. I'm using CHDK version 1.5. Perhaps that's the problem. Do I have to activate anything in CHDK before I do this?
Let me get this straight.
- I switch to manual focus.
- I press the alt button, as I would if I wanted to access the CHDK menu.
- I press the bottom of the wheel, surrounding the function button.
- I then press the shutter button.
Have I missed anything?
When I follow this procedure, the camera does NOT take a picture.
Thanks,
.... john
« Last Edit: 30 / October / 2018, 23:09:31 by shinnen »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #13 on: 31 / October / 2018, 01:08:59 »
- I switch to manual focus.
- I press the alt button, as I would if I wanted to access the CHDK menu.
- I press the bottom of the wheel, surrounding the function button.
- I then press the shutter button.
Have I missed anything?
When I follow this procedure, the camera does NOT take a picture.
You need to leave alt mode to shoot. Pressing the shutter in alt mode just runs your currently selected script.

If you have the subject distance shown in the OSD, you should see it change when you press the down key.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #14 on: 31 / October / 2018, 14:02:03 »
Hi,
    "Pressing the shutter in alt mode just runs your currently selected script."
Yes, that's exactly what it does. So, the Alt mode thingy is a red herring? There's no need to enter alt mode at all?
    "If you have the subject distance shown in the OSD, you should see it change when you press the down key." Is the "subject distance" one of the 5 numbers S/NL/FL/DOF/HYP??
     If "S" and "HYP" match, as waterwingz suggests, then, for the most part it will not be necessary for me to use MF at all, since "S" and "HYP" almost always are the same, especially in Tv.
       By the way, what kind of tolerance is acceptable wrt HYP, since I rarely see S and HYP exactly the same?
.... john
« Last Edit: 31 / October / 2018, 16:49:54 by shinnen »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #15 on: 31 / October / 2018, 17:07:54 »
Hi,
    "Pressing the shutter in alt mode just runs your currently selected script."
Yes, that's exactly what it does. So, the Alt mode thingy is a red herring? There's no need to enter alt mode at all?
The DOWN shortcut to set hyperfocal needs to be done in alt mode. Then leave alt mode to shoot.

"If you have the subject distance shown in the OSD, you should see it change when you press the down key." Is the "subject distance" one of the 5 numbers S/NL/FL/DOF/HYP??
According to https://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_User_Manual#DOF_Calculator
SD should appear in the OSD. Perhaps that's what you mean by S?

The subject distance may also appear in the misc vals display, if you have that enabled, possibly in red.
  If "S" and "HYP" match, as waterwingz suggests, then, for the most part it will not be necessary for me to use MF at all, since "S" and "HYP" almost always are the same, especially in Tv.
The shortcut to set HYP probably requires MF.

By the way, what kind of tolerance is acceptable wrt HYP, since I rarely see S and HYP exactly the same?
Small sensor cameras like this have a lot of depth of field, so it probably doesn't need to be super close. If you want to know how much matters with your particular camera, you should probably do some controlled testing. Take a series of shots of the same subject at different distances, and examine them at 100% on your PC.

The focus control also has limited precision, so it's also likely that if you use CHDK to set focus hyperfocal distance, the resulting SD value will be slightly different.

« Reply #16 on: 31 / October / 2018, 19:40:03 »
Hi reyalp,
      OK. I'm starting to get it. And there is definitely an improvement in the DOF using the hyperfocal setting. What should I point the camera at when I set it.
Thanks,
...... john

Offline reyalp

« Reply #17 on: 31 / October / 2018, 22:09:52 »
Hi reyalp,
      OK. I'm starting to get it. And there is definitely an improvement in the DOF using the hyperfocal setting. What should I point the camera at when I set it.
Thanks,
...... john
For a given camera, hyperfocal distance is purely determined by the zoom and aperture (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperfocal_distance ), so it would only matter if you are letting the camera control aperture.

If you are, I'm not sure the shortcut will get the right value, but your best bet would be to aim at the scene you intend to shoot or something with similar lighting.

« Reply #18 on: 01 / November / 2018, 11:04:51 »
Thanks again,
         FYI ...... I found this site that illustrates DOF, and helps one to calculate the hyperfocal value. It's quite interesting. Here's the link. http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
I get the the same value as CHDK reports, 2.51metres, using their calculator.
...... john
« Last Edit: 01 / November / 2018, 22:32:01 by shinnen »

« Reply #19 on: 07 / November / 2018, 09:16:39 »
Hi again,
       Will the DOF readouts be helpful wrt to macros?
.... john