Boot problems and firmware update problems - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Boot problems and firmware update problems

• 6 Replies
Boot problems and firmware update problems
« on: 11 / September / 2012, 13:04:42 »
Advertisements
Hi all,
I have many sx130is cameras on which I installed succefully CHDK and everything is ok.
But now I got two cams with following problems:
- both, when turned on, automatically go in shooting mode...
- they do not boot with chdk and no chdk features are available
- one of those has 1.01C firmware, how do I update it to 1.01F?
what am I missing???
thanks

Re: Boot problems and firmware update problems
« Reply #1 on: 11 / September / 2012, 13:59:29 »
ok I solved quite everything (sorry), the only thing left is that I cannot update from 1.01C to 1.01F
I downloaded the latest firmware from canon site but when I try to install it on the cam it says
ALREADY UPDATED...
Is there a way to force this update?
thanks

« Reply #2 on: 11 / September / 2012, 14:01:08 »
- one of those has 1.01C firmware, how do I update it to 1.01F?
With a few exceptions,  you have exactly match the firmware version of your camera to a CHDK version specifically make for that firmware.   

Also,  you usually can't change the firmware version of your camera unless Canon issues a firmware update file, which they almost never do.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #3 on: 11 / September / 2012, 14:06:45 »
but so why I got cams with firmware 1.01F and cams with firmware 1.01C?

the latests firmware update file available on canon site shouldn't be the 1.01F (the older one)?

(I downloaded it but both on cam with 1.01F and on cam with 1.01C it says: ALREADY UPDATED, it behaves as if it just checks that the version is 1.0.1.0 without caring about the "letter-version" value (c,d,f)... is it possible?)

« Reply #4 on: 11 / September / 2012, 14:13:46 »
but so why I got cams with firmware 1.01F and cams with firmware 1.01C?
Because Canon made many cameras with firmware 1.01C and then updated the firmware and made more cameras with firmware 1.01F.  They do that all the time - just look at the list of supported cameras & firmware version on the CHDK wiki page.

the latests firmware update file available on canon site shouldn't be the 1.01F (the older one)?
Canon does not provide firmware updates for every camera or version.  If you buy 1.01B for example,  you are probably stuck with 1.01B.   The only time they issue an update is to correct a very serious bug that prevents good picture taking.  Many other firmware changes are to correct spelling errors in text strings for example and Canon will not issue an update for that.

(I downloaded it but both on cam with 1.01F and on cam with 1.01C it says: ALREADY UPDATED, it behaves as if it just checks that the version is 1.0.1.0 without caring about the "letter-version" value (c,d,f)... is it possible?)
What did you download and from where ?  I'll need to see a URL (link) to tell you anything more.

« Reply #5 on: 11 / September / 2012, 14:35:30 »

« Reply #6 on: 11 / September / 2012, 15:33:11 »
Okay - got it now.   That firmware update fixes a serious bug with video sound not syncing properly.  It upgrades earlier cameras to the 1.01C revision level.  There are no further firmware upgrades offered for the sx130is.

Your 1.01F camera(s) are newer than this and so don't need upgrading.  And you can't go backwards either.

In any case, there are CHDK versions available for either camera - you just have to download and install the right on on each.

« Last Edit: 11 / September / 2012, 15:39:26 by waterwingz »