A1000IS porting... - page 10 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum  

A1000IS porting...

• 297 Replies

Offline fudgey

• a570is
Re: bug report - cchdk.cfg corruption
« Reply #90 on: 27 / December / 2008, 10:14:31 »
Advertisements
I noticed that the cchdk.cfg file can easily get corrupted.
For example, a shutdown of the camera due to low battery voltage seems to corrupt the cchdk.cfg file.
The result is, that the cam will not boot into chdk until cchdk.cfg is deleted or restored from a backup.

This doesn't help, but I'd just like to note that for my vxworks a570is I don't remember corrupting cchdk.cfg even once, and I've crashed and shut down the camera in a multitude of ways, including battery low, battrery removal, ext psu removal and crashes with and without watchdog shutdown. I guess I've never had it crash/shut down while exiting alt (I believe that's when cfg gets written, or was it when exiting menu?).

Re: A1000IS porting...
« Reply #91 on: 27 / December / 2008, 12:25:37 »
Hi, i'm new to the forums because I just purchased a A1000 IS (firmware 1.00b). Thanks to all the authors for this software.

There are some bugs in the software:
* The interface gets stuck in the screen sometimes (i think Diablo already knows about this). A workaround is to press the shutter softly or call the MENU native screen.
* Overriding the subject distance (SD) is prone to hang the camera. It seems to work until the shutter is pressed softly, when pressed firmly it usually hangs leaving the camera dead (the lense is not retracted). I had to switch on the camera again.
* I've seen similar results using DoF bracketing. The camera hangs when going to take the first shot of a serie (using bracketing +, 10 mm increments).
* Sometimes the camera hangs if you push the on button and then hit the play button to switch to shooting mode. Pressing shutter seems to never hang.
* On last use, the camera didn't restart. I was doing some DoF bracketing and after a hang it didn't comeback. I removed batteries but didn't work. So i have to delete cchdk.cfg and that did the trick. I had enabled the option for conserving overrides and bracketing settings after switch off, so maybe that was the problem. But the thing is that before the hang it was working correctly. I took some pictures to make a DoF bracket but without a tripod the results are poor.

Everything else works well. I didn't test what behaviour the aperture override yelds. Thanks to everyone who made CHDK possible, special thanks to diablo who took the time to port this to our model.
« Last Edit: 27 / December / 2008, 12:32:10 by Pajarico »

« Reply #92 on: 29 / December / 2008, 05:21:32 »
Hello!  I'm a noob, hehe.  Based on Diablo's porting of the A1000 I decided to get that camera yesterday.  (It was a very difficult decision, but I wanted something a lot more portable than my old A85.  Here's hoping this one lasts as long.)

First off, I was amazed by how far cameras have come in base image quality.  But it was lacking some manual features (I figured out, eventually, how to do manual long exposure times without hacking it).  I have a 1.00b firmware version which came from Circuit City for $150US, btw.

Putting in CHDK from Diablo was pretty easy.  I'll want to get a 2GB card since I'm just wasting space formatting this one down to 2, but that's a general issue.

It didn't take long to figure out what a histogram was for and all sorts of other fancy things.  Now that I know what bracketing is, it's pretty amazing.  Already did my first HDR test with it (I learned what that was a couple days ago - FDRTools so far is the best free app for it).  I attached that image if anyone is curious (and trying to see what they can do within about five hours).  Note that the yellow part of the exercise ball was completely overexposed and white on most of the six bracketed images I did.  I modified the histogram curve slightly to overemphasize the mids and decrease the lows.

Anyway, about the port: I had one 'major' crash which prevented me from being able to start up.  I haven't been able to recreate it, however.  I was changing too many options at once, but it was a crash on powerup before the splash text displayed (I turned that off in case something it was displaying was wrong).  I see at least one other person has had that issue already.

There's two screen display issues I notice.  One is the already mentioned problem with wipes.  The other seems to come up after I modify the OSD locations.  When I return to the regular camera mode it wants to keep redrawing a big black box onscreen.  I power the camera off and on to clear that, which isn't too bad of an issue.

So far I'd recommend a blended RGB histogram, just the battery symbol, and maybe the raw image counter.  I also kept the clock and the temperature of the lens, but I dunno if that's terribly important to keep track of.  Dunno yet what that strange orange box is at the bottom left.  I'll figure out how to turn that off sometime...  The default positions aren't very good for the OSD displays, though, as they conflict with the normal OSD and sometimes with each other, but it's not too hard to adjust them.  The battery needs moving a few pixels to the left.  The histogram should be about midway up and to the right a bit, etc.

It would be nice if this camera's CHDK build would use the SET button to bring up the CHDK and DISP for the script.  Having it the way it is now seems to reverse the intention of the camera's normal usage where you press SET to adjust your shot parameters.  There's probably an option for that I haven't found yet.  On the subject of buttons, Face Detect seems like something you'd rarely want to toggle.  It would be wonderful to be able to assign that to something like bracketing on/off (which I notice seems to turn itself off every time I turn the camera off and on - annoying).

Otherwise I learned what zebra mode is.  It seems to work great.  Overriding the shutter speed works, too. :D

But I will note the option for 'disable overrides' is completely illogical.  It should be Enable Overrides and just have an enable/disable toggle.  Otherwise you're left wondering if 'on' means they're disabled or if it's really enabled and not overridden.  Double negative.  That's probably a general CHDK issue.

In general I'm pretty happy with this camera.  I'm glad I went with it instead of the A590 I was considering, and it's all because Diablo went and started porting it.  Waiting a year to be able to do cool things I was reading about would have been interminable (that seems to be how long it took to port the A590)!

I'm sure as I learn more about it, I'll have more useful things to say, but the build is remarkably stable.  Even tried toying with Raw, but I know it doesn't work and I can't find anything that won't choke on it yet.  Maybe someday. :)

PS. The best part was comparing what my camera can now do with my friend's XTi.  His image quality is a bit nicer and he's got amazing zoom, but these features bridge that gap quite a bit.  It actually seems like Canon still artificially limits their DSLRs compared to what the hardware is really capable of.  Truly it feels like a pocket DSLR which I'll actually use, while his will sit in the case for a long time. ;)

Offline EyP3

ND filter options.
« Reply #93 on: 29 / December / 2008, 19:03:10 »
Control of the ND filter state would really help.
I did some RC aerial photography with the A1000IS today and tried to use shutter priority of 1/500 or 1/1000 sec.
Problem is that most of the time the ND filter kicked in, resulting in  unnecessarily high ISO values.

Example: Shutter time 1/500 sec, Aperture: 8:0 (i.e. ND filter 'in'), ISO set to 200.
I would much prefer to have the ND filter 'out' in that case and have a lower ISO value instead.

Norbert

* Overriding the subject distance (SD) is prone to hang the camera. It seems to work until the shutter is pressed softly
... confirmed.

Offline whoever

• IXUS950
« Reply #94 on: 30 / December / 2008, 02:54:56 »
You can probably do it in a script, something like that:

(i) press "shoot_half", wait for metering to complete (perhaps checking propcase 205/206),
(ii) read AV, TV, SV with get_av96, get_tv96, get_sv96,
(iii) from AV, determine if the ND is used (AV >= 576 for f/# >= 8.0),
(iv) remove the filter with either set_nd_filter, or with set_av96_direct AV-ND where ND=96*3 for ND8, whichever (if any) is supported in your camera,
(v) cnange TV and/or SV by ND and write them back with set_tv96_direct and/or set_sv96 to compensate exposure,
(vi) shoot.

This is just an idea -- I didn't test it, nor am I a script writer!

Offline EyP3

Scripting
« Reply #95 on: 30 / December / 2008, 18:27:23 »
You can probably do it in a script, something like that:

(i) press "shoot_half", wait for metering to complete (perhaps checking propcase 205/206),
(ii) read AV, TV, SV with get_av96, get_tv96, get_sv96,
(iii) from AV, determine if the ND is used (AV >= 576 for f/# >= 8.0),
(iv) remove the filter with either set_nd_filter, or with set_av96_direct AV-ND where ND=96*3 for ND8, whichever (if any) is supported in your camera,
(v) cnange TV and/or SV by ND and write them back with set_tv96_direct and/or set_sv96 to compensate exposure,
(vi) shoot.

This is just an idea -- I didn't test it, nor am I a script writer!

Many thanks, that seems very reasonable.
I tried to implement it, but I can't get more than the most simple scripts running.

I got this working correctly which at least correctly shows if the ND filter is applied:
Code: [Select]
@title Interval Shooting  v0.1

print "Time Lapse Loop"
n=1
sleep 1000
goto "shot"

:shot

press "shoot_half"
  sleep 2000 

print "av: ", get_av96
  print "tv: ", get_tv96
  print "sv: ", get_sv96

if get_av96 > 575 then print "ND in" else print "ND out"

print "Shot", n
  shoot

n=n+1
  print "next"
  sleep 2000 

goto "shot"

and wanted to have something like this:

@title Interval Shooting  - not working

print "Time Lapse Loop"
n=1
ND=96*3
sleep 1000
goto "shot"

press "shoot_half"
  sleep 2000 

if get_av96 > 575 then set_av96_direct get_av96 - ND
  if get_av96 > 575 then set_sv96 get_sv96 - ND

print "Shot", n
  shoot

n=n+1
  print "next"
  sleep 2000 

goto "shot"

but I already get a 'parsing' error when I insert the line with the 'rem' statement:

@title Interval Shooting  - not working

print "Time Lapse Loop"
n=1
ND=96*3
sleep 1000
goto "shot"

press "shoot_half"
  sleep 2000 

rem if get_av96 > 575 then set_av96_direct get_av96 - ND

print "Shot", n
  shoot

n=n+1
  print "next"
  sleep 2000 

goto "shot"

And I get strange parsing errors, e.g. with assignments like
av=get_av96
print "av: ", av
I don't understand this. Could it be the line formatting of the editor?
Is there already a list with the implemented commands for the A1000IS?

Norbert

Offline whoever

• IXUS950
« Reply #96 on: 31 / December / 2008, 05:21:01 »
The following simple script that removes ND and compensates exposure by adjusting TV works fine here.
@title Simple "TV/AV priority" test

press "shoot_half"

rem wait for ready-to-shoot
do
 get_prop 206 p
until p=1

rem get_tv96 t
get_prop 262 t
rem get_av96 a
get_prop 23 a
rem if no ND, just shoot
if a<512 then goto "fire"

rem remove ND, compensate exposure with TV
rem set_av96_direct a-275
set_prop 23 a-275
rem set_tv96_direct t+275
set_prop 262 t+275

:fire
shoot

end
Should work in your case, unless get_prop/set_prop are not implemented, which would mean ubasic as such were not implemented properly. (I don't know if it is, as I don't use current sources in my home builds.) Note that the script uses "classic" syntax. Recent (and not so recent) additions have relaxed it quite a bit but, as usual, it is not documented anywhere, so go figure. The same goes for whether or not a function is implemented for a particular camera -- you really have to examine the sources. Also, nowadays ubasic is regarded as stone age around here, they use lua for scripting.

Offline EyP3

« Reply #97 on: 31 / December / 2008, 08:48:28 »
Many thanks!
Seems to work fine, but I couldn't do much testing.
Will continue next year ...   8)

Cheers!
Norbert

« Reply #98 on: 06 / January / 2009, 20:13:59 »
I just got my A1000 IS for christmas, im loving it,
all my gadgets are "modded" my ipod, my phone, my comp, all of them, so i figured

Why not my cam???

you guys are are amazing, really! wow!

cheers

happy new year

« Reply #99 on: 08 / January / 2009, 05:19:41 »
Hi guys, as u know the A1000 hasn't got manual controls.......are you goin' to add them with you CHDK?

That would be great!  :)