Eos 400d ( Rebel XTI ) - page 55 - DSLR Hack development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Eos 400d ( Rebel XTI )

• 1871 Replies
Re: Eos 400d ( Rebel XTI )
« Reply #540 on: 23 / December / 2010, 12:30:40 »
Advertisements

Perhaps this is the right moment for a little bit of feedback:

• Additional ISO values: I exclusively shot RAW, thus, this feature is not useful to me.
  • Spot metering: a great feature, could not be happier with my camera now.
  • Factory menu: just interesting.
  • Focus frame pattern: I mostly use the central focus point, and just occasionally one of the others; I personally do not like having more than one focus point active.
  • Extended Av compensation: as long as the meter on the viewfinder can only display +/-2EV, I cannot figure out how to benefit from this feature.
  • Extended FLASH compensation: a great feature; with a fast lens and the flash set to -4EV to -6EV, I have just rediscovered the integrated flash.
  • Extended AEB: I use three shots at 2EV when hand-holding the camera, and many more at 1EV when using a tripod. Having a wider separation is not that useful to me; now, having more than three shots would be great.
  • Safety shift: another great feature.
  • Shutter count: just interesting.
  • ISO in viewfinder: very interesting, but perhaps needs a bit of polishing to become perfect.
  • Color temperature: I shot RAW and do the white balance during post-processing, but this sounds great.
  • Flash / AF assist beam: This can be set somewhere else, so I do not find them very interesting. And, speaking of such duplicated settings, mirror lock-up is way too hidden in the menus, and I use it quite frequently; having a faster access to that setting would be great.
  • RAW at AUTO: I never shot AUTO.
  • AUTO-ISO: I personally do not find this interesting at all.

As I said in a previous post: thank you very much for your efforts.

As another RAW shooter, I have a slightly different take on this list, particularly the first item:

- I find the additional ISO values feature very useful because of its automatic adjustment of the playback screen's brightness to compensate for the Ev adjustment. Before I had this, I used to manually adjust the screen brightness when I used a -EV setting, so I could see approximately what I was getting.  This reduces two steps - one of them buried down in the menu system and not calibrated - to one.

On my new G12, with its dedicated dial for Ev compensation and its Live View screen, I can interactively tweak the brightness of my images, which I found useful this fall in taking foliage shots. This might be an area to explore for the 400D hack, though it wouldn't be live view. At this point, we can use the small ISO increments the same way, though coupling the playback screen brightness to the Ev dial as well as to the ISO expansion would be more intuitive for brightness-tweaking.

- I agree about the value of spot metering - which I'll use when I have a severely backlit subject.

- I like the current implementation of the focus frame system, though I'm not sure how often I'll actually use it. It seems most useful to those shooting sports - I'm mainly a landscape shooter.

- Though I've been a photographer for half a century, I'm an available-light shooter. I've only used flash once in taking a picture, and that was as a "fill light" for a severely backlit subject. I'm actually unclear on what flash compensation does. If it allows you to throttle back the amount of flash to make its effect more subtle, that looks useful for taking event candids, not something I do very often.

- AEB looks interesting for High Dynamic Range use, if varies the shutter speed or ISO while leaving the aperture alone. I've gotten HDR effects by taking advantage of the wider dynamic range of a single RAW file in the first place, importing it at different brightness or exposure settings into different layers and merging the results.

- Safety shift - if it works by tweaking the ISO - looks like an "only when absolutely needed" AutoISO and as such valuable for dealing with unexpected changes.

- I try to set the right color temperature when shooting - I figure this keeps adjustments during post-processing within the useful range.

- RAW at AUTO seems useful if I have to hand the camera to a friend or family member who doesn't really know how to use it.

- AutoISO seems dangerous, so I'm happy simply enabling Safety Shift, if it works by tweaking the ISO when absolutely necessary.

I am also very grateful for the work Sergei has done to make my XTi feel new again.
« Last Edit: 23 / December / 2010, 12:36:41 by XTiUser »

« Reply #541 on: 23 / December / 2010, 13:02:10 »
AutoISO function uses shuter speed value which was displayed on lcd in Tv or M modes, not saved value,  to set min. shuter speed.
I know that I can see different exposure time values for Tv & M mode on my LCD. I retested this 1 minute ago to be sure , i set 1/50 for Tv and 1/400 for M, and when i switch from M to Tv or from Tv to M , they remain 2 different values on my LCD.
Maybe I do not understand what you said.
I didn't find where to get measured light value from light meter to calculate ISO.
very bad news then :(

can you set the camera and the lens to manual mode , try to measure a dark zone and then a luminous zone, and see see which values are changing ? it is just a suggestion.

« Reply #542 on: 23 / December / 2010, 15:05:51 »

Perhaps this is the right moment for a little bit of feedback:

• Additional ISO values: I exclusively shot RAW, thus, this feature is not useful to me.
  • Spot metering: a great feature, could not be happier with my camera now.
  • Factory menu: just interesting.
  • Focus frame pattern: I mostly use the central focus point, and just occasionally one of the others; I personally do not like having more than one focus point active.
  • Extended Av compensation: as long as the meter on the viewfinder can only display +/-2EV, I cannot figure out how to benefit from this feature.
  • Extended FLASH compensation: a great feature; with a fast lens and the flash set to -4EV to -6EV, I have just rediscovered the integrated flash.
  • Extended AEB: I use three shots at 2EV when hand-holding the camera, and many more at 1EV when using a tripod. Having a wider separation is not that useful to me; now, having more than three shots would be great.
  • Safety shift: another great feature.
  • Shutter count: just interesting.
  • ISO in viewfinder: very interesting, but perhaps needs a bit of polishing to become perfect.
  • Color temperature: I shot RAW and do the white balance during post-processing, but this sounds great.
  • Flash / AF assist beam: This can be set somewhere else, so I do not find them very interesting. And, speaking of such duplicated settings, mirror lock-up is way too hidden in the menus, and I use it quite frequently; having a faster access to that setting would be great.
  • RAW at AUTO: I never shot AUTO.
  • AUTO-ISO: I personally do not find this interesting at all.

As I said in a previous post: thank you very much for your efforts.

As another RAW shooter, I have a slightly different take on this list, particularly the first item:

- I find the additional ISO values feature very useful because of its automatic adjustment of the playback screen's brightness to compensate for the Ev adjustment. Before I had this, I used to manually adjust the screen brightness when I used a -EV setting, so I could see approximately what I was getting.  This reduces two steps - one of them buried down in the menu system and not calibrated - to one.

On my new G12, with its dedicated dial for Ev compensation and its Live View screen, I can interactively tweak the brightness of my images, which I found useful this fall in taking foliage shots. This might be an area to explore for the 400D hack, though it wouldn't be live view. At this point, we can use the small ISO increments the same way, though coupling the playback screen brightness to the Ev dial as well as to the ISO expansion would be more intuitive for brightness-tweaking.

- I agree about the value of spot metering - which I'll use when I have a severely backlit subject.

- I like the current implementation of the focus frame system, though I'm not sure how often I'll actually use it. It seems most useful to those shooting sports - I'm mainly a landscape shooter.

- Though I've been a photographer for half a century, I'm an available-light shooter. I've only used flash once in taking a picture, and that was as a "fill light" for a severely backlit subject. I'm actually unclear on what flash compensation does. If it allows you to throttle back the amount of flash to make its effect more subtle, that looks useful for taking event candids, not something I do very often.

- AEB looks interesting for High Dynamic Range use, if varies the shutter speed or ISO while leaving the aperture alone. I've gotten HDR effects by taking advantage of the wider dynamic range of a single RAW file in the first place, importing it at different brightness or exposure settings into different layers and merging the results.

- Safety shift - if it works by tweaking the ISO - looks like an "only when absolutely needed" AutoISO and as such valuable for dealing with unexpected changes.

- I try to set the right color temperature when shooting - I figure this keeps adjustments during post-processing within the useful range.

- RAW at AUTO seems useful if I have to hand the camera to a friend or family member who doesn't really know how to use it.

- AutoISO seems dangerous, so I'm happy simply enabling Safety Shift, if it works by tweaking the ISO when absolutely necessary.

I am also very grateful for the work Sergei has done to make my XTi feel new again.

Dangerous when we can't limit the max ISO. Automatic between 100 and 400 ISO will be a good start.

"Enabling Safety Shift, if it works by tweaking the ISO when absolutely necessary" is a very good solution. By lack of light, diaphragm and shutter speed stabilize on screen and facilitates the AutoISO calculation ?
« Last Edit: 23 / December / 2010, 15:15:47 by canixus »

« Reply #543 on: 23 / December / 2010, 19:16:08 »
Dangerous when we can't limit the max ISO. Automatic between 100 and 400 ISO will be a good start.
all nikon camera have this setting on autoiso. the 60D is the first Canon camera where you can limit maxiso. 1D mark 4 or Canon 7d don't have this.

"Enabling Safety Shift, if it works by tweaking the ISO when absolutely necessary" is a very good solution. By lack of light, diaphragm and shutter speed stabilize on screen and facilitates the AutoISO calculation ?
No, the Safety Shift of the Sergei version is Safety Shift mode 1 from Canon 1Dx or xxD cameras.

Mode 1 it rarely can help you at anything . for example if the camera is in AV mode and aperture is 2.8 and iso 800, and the camera will measure that at the shortest shutter time (1/4000) the image is overexposed , then it will try to close (overwrite) the aperture, to balance the exposure at 1/4000.

The Safety Shift mode 2 from the 1Dx series (xxD don't have this mode), and the camera set to P mode will use all the Aperture, Shutter Time and ISO to balance the exposure. You can set inferior and superior limits to aperture and shutter time in Custom functions I 12 & 13. if the camera can't match light metering using those aperture and exposure time limits, then it will try to change the iso.

but Sergei said in an earlier post that he can't enable the Safety Shift mode 2 because 400D has a Digic 2 image processor.

« Reply #544 on: 25 / December / 2010, 17:20:47 »

When the camera uses the flashes, it decides the amount of light the flash should output, depending on the scene; with this parameter, you can apply a correction to the power decided by the camera. I am an available-light shooter, too (specially when the alternative is an integrated flash); but dialing a -4EV (or even lower) flash compensation, makes the camera fire a barely noticeable flash. Try it, I think you may like it.

On some scenes, with a very wide dynamic range, a single shot is not enough; sometimes, not even three shots suffice.

On Av mode, it changes the aperture; on Tv mode, in changes the shutter speed. In other words, the camera will ignore the aperture / speed you set, in order to avoid an over/under exposure.

So true!

« Reply #545 on: 25 / December / 2010, 17:30:27 »
Possible Bug report:
If i am not mistaken flash exposure control setting in the display info screen can't be set when custom function No1 is set to its 4th value
I think there was another setting in the display info screen that had the same bug and was fixed

Offline Sergei

« Reply #546 on: 29 / December / 2010, 16:43:34 »
anAngel, you can use print button to save settings when you in info screen.

« Reply #547 on: 03 / January / 2011, 11:04:52 »
Hello everyone.
First I would like to thank Sergei for his excellent firmware and the constant effort then I would like to report a small bug found on the latest version of firmware released (autoexec_2010-12-13a),I think that has not been previously reported :

When the 400d is in M or TV mode AND the flash is open and active, if I use the right/left arrows to change the iso the camera automatically sets the value of time on "bulb".

I hope I was clear, and I apologize for my very rusty English.

From Italy,

Riccardo.

edit:

In Tv mode, the camera sets " 30'' ", not "bulb".
« Last Edit: 03 / January / 2011, 12:48:00 by Riccardo78 »

« Reply #548 on: 03 / January / 2011, 17:29:30 »
Hello everyone.
First I would like to thank Sergei for his excellent firmware and the constant effort then I would like to report a small bug found on the latest version of firmware released (autoexec_2010-12-13a),I think that has not been previously reported :

When the 400d is in M or TV mode AND the flash is open and active, if I use the right/left arrows to change the iso the camera automatically sets the value of time on "bulb".

I hope I was clear, and I apologize for my very rusty English.

From Italy,

Riccardo.

edit:

In Tv mode, the camera sets " 30'' ", not "bulb".

Yes, confirmed: the same thing happens to me.

Offline Sergei

« Reply #549 on: 04 / January / 2011, 03:08:12 »
http://www.mediafire.com/?7fwi0xjcss6lr0y autoexec.bin
http://www.mediafire.com/?1mcwc8akqeh7w21 autoexec_2010-12-13b.rar
Only way i know how to display iso in info bar is to change actual shutter speed. With a flash opened shutter cannot be higher than flash sync speed, which is 1/200. This autoexec.bin will not set shutter to 30" or to bulb, but it will show 200 for ISO when flash is opened.