PowerShot models that are better suited for motion detection than others? - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

PowerShot models that are better suited for motion detection than others?

• 6 Replies
Advertisements
Hi,

I wonder if there are some models that are better suited than others to get the fastest possible trigger when using motion detection?

I have a Canon G9 which has a lag of c. 600-800 ms when using motion detection plus. I use no AF assistant, no red-eye and manual focus and mode 'M'. Is there other ways to make it faster?

I will be happy if I get some recommendations on models that are fast.

Regards,
Kes

There is an old thread about that somewhere.  I think the conclusion is that most current models are slow.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

I have a Canon G9 which has a lag of c. 600-800 ms when using motion detection plus. I use no AF assistant, no red-eye and manual focus and mode 'M'. Is there other ways to make it faster?
Assuming you are using http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Motion_Detect_Plus

This script doesn't seem optimized for fast response, it does a full shoot() after motion is detected, meaning it presses half shoot, waits for the camera to be ready, presses shoot full. This doesn't really have anything to do with your cameras MD performance.

For faster response, you would need a script that keeps the the camera in half shoot while waiting for motion.

Cameras do have varying MD performance depending both on the Canon firmware and what features have been implemented in the CHDK port, but that isn't what is limiting you now. Any functional port should be able to get into the <200ms range.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Given reyalp's comments, you might want to look at this : http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=10864.0
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Re: PowerShot models that are better suited for motion detection than others?
« Reply #4 on: 02 / February / 2016, 04:21:10 »
Thanks,

Okay, I wasn't aware of the full shoot().

I use 'MD plus' because it is possible to define motion detection grid (detection zone), e.g. just a small square in the center. I will check if it is possible to define detection zone in other fast MD scripts.

Best regards,
Ronny

Re: PowerShot models that are better suited for motion detection than others?
« Reply #5 on: 08 / February / 2016, 23:36:09 »
Hi. Just been playing around with mdfb2013v1.1a script using 2x Sx510HS's. Massive improvement over the old script. I was only managing over half a second reaction time if I was lucky. Now it's down to 130ms. Bring on the lightning.

Some examples of the sx510hs Lightning detection script results.