Question about adding Eyefi-config code to CHDK build. - page 5 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum  

Question about adding Eyefi-config code to CHDK build.

• 84 Replies
Re: Question about adding Eyefi-config code to CHDK build.
« Reply #40 on: 21 / September / 2013, 11:28:01 »
Advertisements
The standard Canon support for the Eyefi card is limited to telling you the card's status (connecting, uploading, disconnected) and the upload status of the pictures.  If you want to register on a wireless network you need a PC and the Eyefi's software (or a replacement: Dave wrote a config command line utility in C, I wrote another in C#).
My implementation permits you to list the wireless networks (SSIDs) visible from the Eyefi's, and specify a password for connecting. It allows also to list the networks configured on the card in order to delete any of them.
Sorry for being obtuse but what does "register on a wireless network" mean?  I assume that means letting your set the SSID the camera uses and the WEP / WPA key password stuff?  Then what happens - how do you get pictures off your camera and onto a wireless device ( phone / tablet / laptop ).  I expect this would be obvious if I actually had a eyefi card - time to order one I guess.

Also,  if you are going to do more CHDK development,  you probably want to look at the svn tools.  Tortoise SNV is really nice for Windows development - there are also Linux command line and GUI tools available.

I took the liberty of converting your files to an svn compatible patch file that can be applied against the current trunk, tested it as much as I could without actually having a card, and attached it here.   Removed some DOS line endings in a couple of files,  cleaned up a couple of small spacing things, and moved your new menu item to the Miscellaneous Stuff menu from the root menu (sorry). 

Its up to reyalp/philmoz but it looks clean enough to me to be added to 1.3.0.  Prior to any svn commit philmoz might have some thought on putting the code into an flt module - especially the md5 / sha1 stuff.
« Last Edit: 21 / September / 2013, 11:30:44 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #41 on: 21 / September / 2013, 11:57:13 »
Yes, i mean specifying an SSID and WPA or WEP key (and yes, you definitely need to buy one ;) ).

I normally use svn command line, but it seemed impossible to make it coexist with the chdk shell, sorry.

The Eyefi card uploads pictures to a central server, which georeferentiates them (if possible). The so called Eyefi helper sits in your tray bar waiting to get them down to your pc. If you mark a picture as "read only" it gets downloaded first, and possibly to Flickr or Facebook or another dozen of sites according to how you configured your card.

I approve/appreciate your modifications. How will I know that the patch has been added to the code repository?

« Reply #42 on: 21 / September / 2013, 12:13:35 »
Yes, i mean specifying an SSID and WPA or WEP key (and yes, you definitely need to buy one ;) ).
Nice!   

So if you have wifi cards in a couple of cameras all active at the same time,  how are they named on the network?

I normally use svn command line, but it seemed impossible to make it coexist with the chdk shell, sorry.
No problem.  But if you decide to setup an local svn copy on your PC,  you can use the CHDK_Shell build environment to compile it.  Either start CHDK_Shell normally and use the command prompt button to take you to a DOS box,  or just start with a DOS box and run something like this (substitute your camera name and f/w version of course) :
Code: [Select]
gmake PLATFORM=g10 PLATFORMSUB=102a firzipsubcompleteThe only other trick if you don't use the CHKD-Shell command prompt box is to set the environment correctly - you can do that by first using CHDK-Shell, going to the command prompt and looking at how it sets things up.

The Eyefi card uploads pictures to a central server, which georeferentiates them (if possible). The so called Eyefi helper sits in your tray bar waiting to get them down to your pc. If you mark a picture as "read only" it gets downloaded first, and possibly to Flickr or Facebook or another dozen of sites according to how you configured your card.
Very cool.  Might be interesting for all the multi-camera "bullet time" projects too although I suspect speed is an issue.

I approve/appreciate your modifications. How will I know that the patch has been added to the code repository?
I took another look and it will definitely need to be converted to modules.   I'm not going to worry about that just yet though. 

Normally completed patch files are posted here :
http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=650.0
and one of the dev's will usually post if / when it's been accepted.  It's recommended that significant patches be discussed in a thread first (which is what we are doing).   

Actual updates get listed here
http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?board=41.0
but usually that's only after a period of "discussion"  ( a.k.a. arguements and swearing :)  ) Frankly, that thread is a bit painful to follow.

« Reply #43 on: 21 / September / 2013, 12:39:08 »
So if you have wifi cards in a couple of cameras all active at the same time,  how are they named on the network?
I think "Eyefi-serial#", but that's not something you should care; eyefi cards are meant to work in a fully automated way, they're not meant to act as tiny networked computers.
There are a couple of similar cards you might be interested to. In particular the Transcend, that has recently been fully hacked (http://hackaday.com/2013/09/19/advanced-transcend-wifi-sd-hacking-custom-kernels-x-and-firefox/)

« Reply #44 on: 21 / September / 2013, 12:47:41 »
I think "Eyefi-serial#", but that's not something you should care; eyefi cards are meant to work in a fully automated way, they're not meant to act as tiny networked computers.
If you are doing stereo or "bullet time" multicamera rigs,  the camera position (and thus the name) matters when you are wading through hundreds of shots afterwards.   I assume there is something in the uploaded filename (or EXIF info) that would let you sort that out?

There are a couple of similar cards you might be interested to. In particular the Transcend, that has recently been fully hacked (http://hackaday.com/2013/09/19/advanced-transcend-wifi-sd-hacking-custom-kernels-x-and-firefox/)
Saw that when it came out - very nice hack!  Do you expect them all to work with your CHDK mod?  I thought there were at least two generations of eyefi cards - does it matter which you use?

« Reply #45 on: 21 / September / 2013, 13:18:12 »
If you are doing stereo or "bullet time" multicamera rigs,  the camera position (and thus the name) matters when you are wading through hundreds of shots afterwards.   I assume there is something in the uploaded filename (or EXIF info) that would let you sort that out?

I must check, but I think it's possible to configure the card to put a custom tag. More on this later. You would almost surely be able to configure each card to upload to a different directory on the target PC.

Saw that when it came out - very nice hack!  Do you expect them all to work with your CHDK mod?  I thought there were at least two generations of eyefi cards - does it matter which you use?

No my (er... Dave's) hack is very specific to Eyefi cards. But I think it is not version specific. I'll have to check on my old Eyefi if I can get it to work (the plastic case is broken...)

« Reply #46 on: 22 / September / 2013, 08:02:25 »
But I think it is not version specific. I'll have to check on my old Eyefi if I can get it to work (the plastic case is broken...)
If this is going to end up in the main release then knowing which cards it supports will be important. I tried to find a web page that lists all the models - current and old - but did not have any success. Have you seen anything?

« Reply #47 on: 22 / September / 2013, 13:09:04 »
If this is going to end up in the main release then knowing which cards it supports will be important. I tried to find a web page that lists all the models - current and old - but did not have any success. Have you seen anything?
No, it seems like they only like to list the current models. In any case only a user with a certain model can say if it actually works or not...

« Reply #48 on: 23 / September / 2013, 11:42:47 »
More functionalities could be added, but this two are what you really need when you're on the road

Here is some functionality that I think would be very useful.  I mentioned this in a different thread, but this seems to be the main eye-fi thread so I will repeat it here.

For many Powershots Canon turns off wifi when taking a photo.  This is a pain in direct mode since it delays the photo transfer: your PC needs to reconnect to the wifi each photo.  The photo transfer is already slowed by other delays the eye-fi card imposes -- perhaps to try to prevent the interruption of a transfer in progress.

It would be great to fix this problem.  Any ideas?  One possibility might be to fool Canon into thinking that the card is disabled when it is not.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #49 on: 23 / September / 2013, 13:17:27 »
For many Powershots Canon turns off wifi when taking a photo.
I think it would help (those who plan to look into the code) if you could name exact camera models with (and without) this issue.