ELPH300HS aka IXUS220HS - Porting Thread - page 60 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum

ELPH300HS aka IXUS220HS - Porting Thread

• 899 Replies
Re: Re: ELPH300HS aka IXUS220HS - Porting Thread
« Reply #590 on: 20 / January / 2012, 10:26:01 »
Advertisements
Probably i did mistakes.

i copied the source in a script folder and renamed in .lua

when i try to start it appear : 10 sleep 1000o  end:1 unexpected symbol near '@'
PRESS SHUTTER TO CLOSE
 *** INTERRUPTED ***
Intervallometer

When i was?
its a uBasic script .  You cannot use a .lua extension for a filename. Try .bas.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Re: ELPH300HS aka IXUS220HS - Porting Thread
« Reply #591 on: 20 / January / 2012, 10:36:07 »
And if i rename it in .bas when  i press shot appear :
***STARTED***
***FINISHED***

« Reply #592 on: 20 / January / 2012, 10:45:56 »
WITH:  uBasic: 1 Unk stmt at the top left corner in orange icon

« Reply #593 on: 21 / January / 2012, 16:54:07 »
Like to say excellent stuff on the chdk for the ixus220hs.

I noticed theres ND filter option for stills, could this be activated for video too?

Keep up the great work!

« Reply #594 on: 23 / January / 2012, 01:10:43 »
hallo,

i see there is a new firmware 1.01G for 220HS, is it possible to update the firmware from 1.00C to 1.01G? is there any tool or something for windows?

is there also a simple guide how to install CHDK?

thanx...

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #595 on: 23 / January / 2012, 01:17:10 »
Hello & welcome !

is it possible to update the firmware from 1.00C to 1.01G? is there any tool or something for windows?
No.
Would only be possible with an official Canon firmware update.
is there also a simple guide how to install CHDK?
Yes.
* http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
* http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_User_Manual

« Last Edit: 23 / January / 2012, 01:24:42 by waterwingz »

« Reply #597 on: 23 / January / 2012, 04:07:31 »
Thanks a lot, i got it, the "shortcut" button is actually the red video/camcorder button. that should be changed/explained, because it's confusing, you find nowhere the "shortcut".

Anyway, the images are "MINDBLOWING", i put my first test on : http://www.smex.de/220hs/CHDK_CRW_2785.png, i cannot believe this small camera did that shot. i have here more expensive equipment (canon 1000D + Expensive Canon Lense), i don't know if i reach that detailed image quality with it...it would be quite hard...

anyway, i tested the video and i realized, that if i set the quality at 99 + quality, the video is jerky, i loose a lot of frames with a 10 class SDHC.
Which is the best setting there?

thanks again

« Reply #598 on: 23 / January / 2012, 09:06:21 »
anyway, i tested the video and i realized, that if i set the quality at 99 + quality, the video is jerky, i loose a lot of frames with a 10 class SDHC. Which is the best setting there?
That's probably something you need to discover by trial & error.  All SD cards are not the same and I believe some that claim to be class 10 are actually not.  Transfer speed of the card is also not the only factor - the camera's processing time enters into the equation somewhere too.   On my cameras with Class 2 cards,  I can't set the "quality level" much above 70 with any reliability but YMMV.

« Reply #599 on: 23 / January / 2012, 20:09:58 »
(3) OSD sometimes fails to redraw, getting wiped off the display.
Example: When CHDK menu is active in shooting mode and camera tries to lock something (moving rectangle on the screen), CHDK menu gets wiped off the screen as the rectangle moves behind (or over, as it looks like). Once we force CHDK menu to refresh (by pressing the down arrow, for example), it gets visible once again - just to be wiped off again by the moving rectangle. It makes navigating the CHDK menu in shooting mode a bit hard.
Can't comment on the rest of your observations but this is more of a limitation than a bug.  Its been discussed many times on this forum and believe it or not,  is much less of an issue since philmoz greatly improved the code last year.  In simple terms,  the problem is that the Canon firmware does not know CHDK exists and so writes to the display whenever it chooses to (not knowing or caring that there might be CHDK information also being displayed).  Unless somebody discovers a way to override that in the Canon firmware (and nobody has after 7 years) then we will just have to live with that behavior.

I wonder if the problem can be approached this way:

# We know this problem does not effect the Canon Menus
# Therefore, we can infer that before the Canon Menus are displayed the features causing the corruption are disabled
# We can demonstrate we are right for System Menus, as the screen can be observed to ||pause|| before the (full-screen) menu pops up
# We can also demonstrate this for User Menus, as the "focus/lock box" feature is obviously disabled before the User Menu is displayed ...so clearly Canon had the same problem!
# Canon will achieve the 'disable' features by either
=1= poking a number in a register on a chip, possibly over i2c
=2= writing a value to a memory location, which may be easily examined by the Screen Task
=3= calling a function that does one of the above
# Let's assume the Canon codebase is fairly well written ...which seems likely as they have to support many many Cameras on a professional basis ...On that presumption, it's going to be a function ala screen_lockbox_disable() or screen_ccd_disable()
# We've already hooked the keyboard code, so we have a *good* starting point to work out what functions get called when the [disp] or [menu] buttons get pressed.
# To someone who has just closed IDA Pro after porting to a new camera, I imagine the journey to find the screen_*_enable/disable() functions would not be an especially long or arduous one.
# Then we simply call the screen() function of our choice when required

BC

PS. Someone here must have, at some point, attacked the firmware with IDA (Pro) ...I've not used IDA, but I understand you can tell it things about the code and get it to embed documentation ...If I'm right - who might be able to furnish me with copies of these files?
« Last Edit: 23 / January / 2012, 20:57:15 by BlueChip »