A1000IS porting... - page 6 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum  

A1000IS porting...

• 297 Replies

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
Re: A1000IS porting...
« Reply #50 on: 11 / December / 2008, 07:41:12 »
Advertisements
I don't seem to have access to the "back" entry in the "Main Menu".

that's because there is none... where would you want to go "back" to ?

"back" means "1 level up in the menu" (same as pressing <Display> on most cams)

to leave the main menu, just press <Menu>

more interesting keys ? go here: FAQ - CHDK Wiki

HTH,

wim

« Last Edit: 11 / December / 2008, 07:50:23 by whim »

« Reply #51 on: 11 / December / 2008, 11:01:49 »
I don't seem to have access to the "back" entry in the "Main Menu".

that's because there is none... where would you want to go "back" to ?

"back" means "1 level up in the menu" (same as pressing <Display> on most cams)

to leave the main menu, just press <Menu>

more interesting keys ? go here: FAQ - CHDK Wiki

HTH,

wim

That is why I said "there doesn't seem to be much need for that".

But if you read my message, I said that when I look at that screen for the main menu there is a "back" bar. I just cannot get to it.

Actually, I have just looked again, and what seems to be happening is that the "back" bar appears only after you have left the main menu and turned to it.

In other words, there is no "back" bar when you first reach the main menu. It appears only when you have been on to another menu and come back.

Looks like a screen is not rewriting something or other.

Thanks you for the link to FAQ - CHDK Wiki. I have been there a lot, but it is hard to follow in parts. Probably because it is so big. It didn't, for example, have the "dimwits guide" that tyrantt23 kindly offered.

As you linked to a bookmark within the FAQ, that was also a great help. No need to scroll all over the place for things that I didn't know I was looking for. Thanks.
MK
Powershot A1000IS, EOS 400D
Canon A1 (x2) etc....

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #52 on: 11 / December / 2008, 13:27:35 »
Looks like a screen is not rewriting something or other

Aah...now i get it -- ran into that too in one of the earlier A590 versions ...
it'll go away as the port matures, i suppose.

wim

« Reply #53 on: 11 / December / 2008, 14:05:55 »
I am aware of the screen not refreshing issue. The function "RefreshPhysicalScreen" is not working at all.
Calling or not calling it has no effect. I compared it with disassembly of A720 and G9. For A1000, the method is slightly different. But I made sure that the caller and callee are matched with other cameras. So for now, refreshing can be done by half pressing shoot button.

michaelkenward,
Good to hear that 1.00a is working without major changes. Can you get scripts from other camera and run those on your camera. Also try shooting CRT screen with different values of shutter speed. You should see scan lines. You might as well post your results in porting status template for completeness.

« Reply #54 on: 11 / December / 2008, 17:02:55 »
Thee screen thing is no big deal when you realise what is happening. I was just being slow.

Will play around as you suggest when I have time.

I still need to learn a few things to make the tweaks stick.

I should have said that my experience of this stuff makes "newbies" look like PhD candidates.
MK
Canon A1 (x2) etc....

« Reply #55 on: 12 / December / 2008, 21:13:41 »
Can you get scripts from other camera and run those on your camera. Also try shooting CRT screen with different values of shutter speed. You should see scan lines.
I will try running scripts from other cameras on Sunday when I have the day off, but for now, I'm working 14 hour days... *yikes*
What do you mean to try and shoot the CRT screen and we should see scan lines? Is there a specific shutter speed where the scan lines should start appearing on the pictures? Given that my... oh... never mind, I just remembered that my laptop's screen isn't LCD. That's why it didn't work when I tried yesterday. d'oh!

Anyway... on with the math. Given that CRTs usually have a 60Hertz refresh rate which is about 0.0166666... seconds per refresh, should I try shooting the pictures at 16/1000 and 17/1000 shutter speeds to see the scan lines, or should I use slower shutter speeds? Since I don't have a CRT monitor available here, I'll try the pictures on the TV screen on Sunday as well.

:)

« Reply #56 on: 12 / December / 2008, 21:55:05 »
Diablo,

I'm testing the 100a build. Having never used CHDK before (but read enough to dump the first a1000 firmware a couple months ago), there were a few things that seemed weird to me. Is there supposed to be a 'back' option on the main CHDK menu? If not, how do you make the menu disappear?

Bugs that I noticed:
- Live histogram doesn't work
- Enabling the startup sound (in the CHDK menu) makes the camera not boot upon restart. The camera shows the bootup screen for about a half second and then appears to shut down.

I'd be happy to test future versions. I will post more bugs as they are discovered. Great work so far. I'm glad to see that the A1000 has gotten ported this fast. Thanks for working on the 100a version as well as the 100b.

Phyrephox: is there a minimum level of functionality (or maturity) before this can be submitted to SVN? I'm asking purely out of curiosity. How many people have SVN commit access?

Lee

« Reply #57 on: 13 / December / 2008, 05:03:32 »
Is there supposed to be a 'back' option on the main CHDK menu? If not, how do you make the menu disappear?

This came up a couple of messages above this one. It happens after you have been to another page. If you look at the top of the screen, you will see a stray title for another page.

The "back" option is an artefact. The screen is not refreshing. Diablo already knows about.

Keep up the testing. I agree, nice to have someone do all this work for us users of the "a" version.
MK
Canon A1 (x2) etc....

Offline EyP3

Re: A1000IS porting
« Reply #58 on: 15 / December / 2008, 18:32:18 »
Hi,
I also have the A 1000 IS now, firmware 100b and had success using  Diablo's  CHDK 0.7.2!
Again, many thanks to Diablo and all who worked hard on CHDK!

I couldn't do very sophisticated testing, but the things I tried worked well.
I tested especially the shutter priority mode together with a time lapse script, because that's what I need most for RC aerial photography. No problems so far, except I had once to replace the cchdk.cfg file with the backup, the file was corrupted and CHDK wouldn't boot.

I will do more testing as I get more familiar with CHDK.
Diablo, do you see problems with the USB hijacking? I am already thinking about using an USB controller for triggering (gentled) in the future.

Cheers
Norbert

« Reply #59 on: 17 / December / 2008, 11:50:58 »
Hi,
I've got the A1000IS with Frameware-version 1.00b.
I downloaded the file from diablo and tried to start idt, but it doens't work. I guess I'm doihg something wrong.

As said before, I ran CardTricks to make the SD-Card bootable. After that I've copied the DISKBOOT.BIN made by diablo onto the SD-Card and locked it.

For sure I do something wrong trying to start it.
Do I need to start the camera in Playback-Mode?
Which buttons do I need to push then?

With best regards,

Matze1503