350d boot from cf card - page 15 - DSLR Hack development - CHDK Forum

350d boot from cf card

• 510 Replies
Re: 350d boot from cf card
« Reply #140 on: 26 / January / 2010, 20:34:06 »
Advertisements
Perhaps you should try to redo the entire process of setting up your card because your camera is at least safe and it's attempting to load files from your CF. So I guess you should just format your CF card and try the process for the card again

« Reply #141 on: 27 / January / 2010, 04:03:54 »
If I only put the card formatted it gives error card, put it bootable with the hacks, lock and camera will not boot, I think I really lost my camera

« Reply #142 on: 27 / January / 2010, 05:26:28 »
I doubt you've lost your camera, its almost certainly all reversible, just a question of working through it.

You just got it into a bit of an odd state. I'm pretty sure the camera is basically just confused because the software is messed up somewhere along the line, it gives cryptic errors because it wasn't designed to be messed around with in this way.

If the CF card is screwed up, try reformatting it and don't put anything onto it, or make it bootable, just  make it a plain empty CF card.

Or maybe try buying a new, cheap CF card from somewhere and try working with that, and try to re-install the Canon 1.0.3 firmware, making sure the battery is full first.

« Reply #143 on: 27 / January / 2010, 07:24:04 »
Thanks for help

I tried different cards with different sizes over the problem continues.

I'll try to get a hack and clean lines
to try to get up at the original firmware

« Reply #144 on: 31 / January / 2010, 05:38:11 »
I could not solve the problem

I lost my camera.

« Reply #145 on: 01 / February / 2010, 09:19:03 »
Fast way to set Custom WB

1. take a photo of white object
2. Open the WB selection menu by press <WB> button
3. Press DP(Direct print) button,

it will use the last photo as reference and change the WB mode to Custom WB

« Reply #146 on: 04 / February / 2010, 01:53:20 »
Thanks very much, cyrustam!!

Offline gen

« Reply #147 on: 04 / February / 2010, 13:27:50 »
Thank you very much for this wonderful work. I really appreciate it.

I'm very new here. So, I'm not even in a position to know how stupid a question this is... :-[ So apologies in advance.

As I understand, once the boot flag has been toggled on, the camera always tries to boot from the CF card. If it does not find the software or finds that CF card is not bootable, it gives out an error. I hope I'm correct thus far.

In the above case, is it possible to make the camera boot using the original firmware instead of displaying the error? :)
« Last Edit: 04 / February / 2010, 13:30:00 by gen »

« Reply #148 on: 06 / February / 2010, 03:08:22 »
Gen: You are correct: once the boot flag has been toggled on, the camera always tries to boot from the CF card. If you toggle this flag off - as I assume - body will no longer boot from CF card.

I discovered one simple thing: if I put formatted and bootable CF to my 350D, body hangs up. Hard reset is needed - battery must be removed. But when I put regular CF card without boot sector - everything works fine, exactly like in non-modified 350D. It seems to be one thing to remember - do not remove software form bootable CF without removing "bootable" mark.

Offline gen

« Reply #149 on: 07 / February / 2010, 02:40:25 »
@Marek Czekaj: Thank you very much for your answer. Actually, your "discovery" is exactly what I was looking for... :D.

But, because it sounds too good to be true, please let me crosscheck what I've understood. So, according to you, I could keep the boot flag permanently set to boot from the CF card and still load the original canon firmware, version: 1.0.3, by using a non-bootable CF card, right?

This would then be a great fallback option if the original bootable CF card, the one with the software, was lost/damaged, say during a trip. I could then continue to use the camera with a brand new card that was formatted on my camera...

Thanks once again!! :)