CHDK Autoboot w/ Eye-Fi

• 34 Replies

Offline fbonomi

• A570IS SD1100/Ixus80
    • Francesco Bonomi
Re: CHDK Autoboot w/ Eye-Fi
« Reply #10 on: 28 / May / 2008, 05:29:55 »
Advertisements
Interesting comment from Eye-Fi: Eye-Fi Announces Explore, Share and Home Models

The recording speed of the card is lousy, and won't record video from my Panasonic TZ5 camera. Eye-fi marketing and customer service are deliberately vague about the recording speed of the card. In response to inquiries about the writing speed, all they will say is "We do not share the information about the Eye-Fi Card's specific read/write speeds. I can tell you that our card is on par with the speed of basic consumer SD cards on the market." If they didn't fix this... I wouldn't recommend the eye-fi for anyone who wants to record video.

Offline intrnst

• A710IS + Morebest
« Reply #11 on: 28 / May / 2008, 12:53:05 »
@PhyrePhoX

Files that aren't in use by the OS.
See, there are this interesting proposal from Phantomse (wireless wi-fi camera). So if the PC could read the movie data bytes, just at the moment them are being recorded by the cam at the card, we got it. For what I know of Eye-Fi, it is not possible now.

__
Edited: +words!
« Last Edit: 28 / May / 2008, 21:07:31 by intrnst »
-- funny english, be aware -- CHDK for Dummies - The Very First Steps

Offline Phantomse

• A720 IS Allbest 50
« Reply #12 on: 28 / May / 2008, 17:51:25 »
intrnst   You joust gave me a idea. If we could make that possible we also achieve to have a laptop or whatever as an Viewfinder. Even if its wery framy after a sec you would have the best preview of what your going to shoot. I personally hate often the camera's 3 cm LCD but its probably only my strange opinion.
However this sounds technically weary unprobable

Offline intrnst

• A710IS + Morebest
« Reply #13 on: 28 / May / 2008, 22:11:39 »
Wow, hey! Not so fast, Ringo!
This file monitoring technic was used as an ancient way to do network printing without buy an expensive network printer. The PC with the printer attached makes frequent scans at specific directories at other PCs and, if it finds (print to file)_file, reads it and do print job at the local print spool. At the camera scenario, your first problem will be that when the OS actually closes the file and makes its existence at the FAT, will be the exact moment that you finished your shooting. Even if could pass thru this, a great delay should be expected to accomplish all other subsequent tasks.
Some solution may pass by ask the firmware to save the running movie in series of short files, that could be read as files, and delivered by the Eye-Fi SD card.

But these are only newbie's thoughts.
Who really knows? ;]
Cheers.
« Last Edit: 28 / May / 2008, 23:14:26 by intrnst »

Offline intrnst

• A710IS + Morebest
« Reply #14 on: 28 / May / 2008, 22:22:31 »
Deleted

Offline adcz

• Canon S5 | Before Thou Smiteth Me, Readeth Sig
    • OSFlower
« Reply #15 on: 01 / June / 2008, 09:37:36 »
Yeah...Eye-Fi is certainly cool but there are some limitations:
  • No Write Abilities (Yet)
  • Only on that card (would be impractical to use in the real world since most ppl carry around multiple 4- and 8-gig cards, especially when shooting in raw
  • Price Tag - $80 for 2 gigs O.o what is this 2002? If we are going to be experimenting with this card, especially hardware-wise, I am sure we will break around 5-10 before we can get them to fully work :P, which is around 800 dollars. I doubt anybody here makes that much money to throw away :D
  • The whole write protect thing...

Even though some things, like the price tag, are inevitable, however some things we could fix, with Eye-Fi's cooperation. It seems like you guys don't really like to contact companies (you still haven't gotten Canon's official support). But what I propose to do is contact Eye-Fi (it's worth a shot right?) and get them to create an api for their card, maybe send CHDK devs a few free cards for testing. They could also put in a write protect switch on this model, and allow full control of all the mechanisms of the card. If anybody wants to help me with the letter, pls PM me! I would need some input from the Devs including proposed plans, and what exactly you would need.!
Email me at adz@jewc.org for questions/comments/etc or aim me at adzempire!
---
STOP!! Before thou smiteth me, please PM me the reason! . Criticism = bad, constructive criticism = good.

If you wanna applaud, no reason necessary, I know I'm wonderful :P

Offline adcz

• OSFlower
« Last Edit: 01 / June / 2008, 09:43:39 by adcz »
---
STOP!! Before thou smiteth me, please PM me the reason! . Criticism = bad, constructive criticism = good.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #17 on: 01 / June / 2008, 09:43:15 »
so far the write protection fix hasnt been tested yet. i'm pretty sure it will work.
and the whole point of this card is that you only need to carry around ONE card only, because why would you need 10 of these cards, holding 8 GB each, when it's purpose is to backup the pictures via wifi?
only thing you need carrying around is a laptop or access to hotspots that allow you to "phone home".
you can of course try and email the eyefi corp, and i bet you will even get a letter back - a cease and desist letter ;)

« Reply #18 on: 01 / June / 2008, 09:44:22 »
That looks to be just a wifi card in a Mini SD form factor, rather than a wifi-enabled memory card.

Offline adcz

• OSFlower
« Reply #19 on: 01 / June / 2008, 09:46:33 »
so far the write protection fix hasnt been tested yet. i'm pretty sure it will work.
and the whole point of this card is that you only need to carry around ONE card only, because why would you need 10 of these cards, holding 8 GB each, when it's purpose is to backup the pictures via wifi?
only thing you need carrying around is a laptop or access to hotspots that allow you to "phone home".
you can of course try and email the eyefi corp, and i bet you will even get a letter back - a cease and desist letter ;)

Uuh...I dunno...most places I take pics are w/o wifi connections for a mile. And carrying around my laptop...oh boy that...will be a pain.
---