SX30 IS porting thread - page 12 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

SX30 IS porting thread

• 115 Replies

Offline reyalp

Re: Firmware dumps available
« Reply #110 on: 23 / June / 2023, 13:27:25 »
Advertisements
SX30 1.00A FW Dump:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sOv4TDQHHWHfyPIlT-hgVTTmVNud3qq4/view?usp=sharing
Wow, from a quick look around the wiki and forum, this appears to be a previously unseen firmware version. Quite unusual for a port that's been around for more than 12 years  :o
Are you the original owner or know the history of the cam? It would be interesting to know if there was something weird in the history of this cam, like if it was originally sent out as a review sample or something.

Addresses are different from the existing ports, and Canon does not appear to have ever offered a firmware update for this cam (despite shipping various revs from 100e through 100p) so it will need a new port. I should be able to post a test build in few days, if no one else gets to it first.
« Last Edit: 25 / June / 2023, 22:34:50 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Re: Re: Firmware dumps available
« Reply #111 on: 24 / June / 2023, 07:14:13 »
Wow, from a quick look around the wiki and forum, this appears to be a previously unseen firmware version. Quite unusual for a port that's been around for more than 12 years  :o
Are you the original owner or know the history of the cam? It would be interesting to know if there was something weird in the history of this cam, like if it was originally sent out as a review sample or something.

Addresses are different from the existing ports, and Canon does not appear to have ever offered a firmware update for this cam (despite shipping various revs from 100e through 100n) so it will need a new port. I should be able to post a test build in few days, if no one else gets to it first.

This is as much of a mystery to me as it is to you honestly, however, I have a pretty solid theory of why that is. I have an aunt that works at Canon (don't remember which department but it doesn't really matter since it's all connected in one way or another lol), she bought that SX30 from work, and it was later handed to me. With this information, I theorize that this could simply be some kind of early model that was meant for late internal testing, or as You've suggested a review sample, right before shipping out models with newer firmware revisions. Kinda sucks it doesn't have any cool debugging stuff on it :P

I am definitely looking forward to Your test build, I've been waiting forever for someone to dump the firmware and port it until I realized that it wasn't happening (and that firmware dumping on these cameras is much easier than I thought. Originally I thought it'd require hardware dumping and, for some reason, I didn't bother reading into the wiki more :V)

Offline reyalp

Re: SX30 IS porting thread
« Reply #112 on: 25 / June / 2023, 22:24:12 »
@TheFatRatMan Here's a test build for sx30 100a. Please let me know if it runs.

Anything you can test from https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/Testing is appreciated, but generally in a case like this if it runs at all, it's probably as functional as the ports for other firmwares of this mode.

« Reply #113 on: 26 / June / 2023, 09:43:56 »
@TheFatRatMan Here's a test build for sx30 100a. Please let me know if it runs.

Anything you can test from https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/Testing is appreciated, but generally in a case like this if it runs at all, it's probably as functional as the ports for other firmwares of this mode.

It's alive! Boots from the SD Card just fine.
All that's left is to use it and keep a lookout for things that might be broken. Thank You very much for the build, I appreciate it!

Offline reyalp

« Reply #114 on: 26 / June / 2023, 22:35:23 »
It's alive! Boots from the SD Card just fine.
All that's left is to use it and keep a lookout for things that might be broken. Thank You very much for the build, I appreciate it!
Thanks for testing. I've added to the development branch, it will appear in trunk autobuild 6252 and later.

I've labeled it as an ALPHA build, if you don't find any problems after using it a bit, please post here and I'll take the label off.

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #115 on: 02 / November / 2023, 13:20:15 »
Added the
  • SX30 1.00A
full 8MB dump by TheFatRatMan from this forum post to the CHDK P&S FW dumps repository.