IXUS 130 (SD1400 IS) Porting Thread - page 25 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum

IXUS 130 (SD1400 IS) Porting Thread

• 288 Replies
Re: IXUS 130 (SD1400 IS) Porting Thread
« Reply #240 on: 13 / September / 2012, 06:08:46 »
Advertisements

my main problem seems to be that i can't even see the option for 'firm update' in the menu on the camera. does anyone know if this setting appears in this model (ixus130)

i don't think that option will be available until it's built from the main build server. you shouldn't need that anyway if you use eoscard or cardtricks to make the card bootable. i think you just need to reformat the card in the camera and try one of those apps again. looks like both should do the trick. it's been a while since i did it but think i used cardtricks.

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
    • Planetary astrophotography
« Reply #241 on: 13 / September / 2012, 07:06:30 »

« Reply #242 on: 13 / September / 2012, 08:37:01 »
Sorry about that - I forgot to point out that booting via "firmware update" is not an option.  The link blackhole posted is currently the best place to get more information. Specifically http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Bootable_SD_card#For_cameras_released_before_2011_:
« Last Edit: 13 / September / 2012, 09:05:34 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #243 on: 14 / September / 2012, 18:54:32 »
Link to beta 2 sent to beta testers.   This version includes a completely rewritten boot.c file,  adding the ability to use dual partition SD cards.
« Last Edit: 14 / September / 2012, 19:01:54 by waterwingz »

« Reply #244 on: 23 / September / 2012, 15:10:58 »
Any progress?

I have an IXUS 130 IS and would be more than happy to help out with the testing if there was a simple way to do so. But reading the thread and other main CHDK pages, I realize that I'm just not tech savvy enough, I'm afraid. :(

« Reply #245 on: 23 / September / 2012, 15:14:41 »
I have an IXUS 130 IS and would be more than happy to help out with the testing if there was a simple way to do so. But reading the thread and other main CHDK pages, I realize that I'm just not tech savvy enough, I'm afraid. :(
Step one is figuring out what firmware version you have.

There are several ways to do that but this is what I would recommend : http://www.zenoshrdlu.com/acid/acid.html

After that,  you will need to load CHDK on you SD card and try it out.  Instructions are here : http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Prepare_your_SD_card#For_cameras_released_before_2011_:

« Reply #246 on: 23 / September / 2012, 15:58:15 »
Acid tells me the firmware is 1.00c.

However, as far as I can tell from the printouts it produces, it does not find/download anything. It makes 4 different attempts, but in each the result is just "no build found for Canon IXUS 130 100c". Seems like it can't find any builds, or am I incorrect..? Is there some other place (on the web) the beta versions can be found..?

I'm also a bit worried about how to format an SD-card the proper way. I do not own a card reader. Is a card reader a must? I do own several SD-cards of different sizes, speeds etc (the 130 IS is not my first IXUS) and if there is a way to use a particular kind of card and just have the camera format it, that would be great.

Added: I just remembered that I do have two card readers but they are both really old and I know they do not work with all kinds of SD cards. I was under the impression that most operations needed could be handled via USB (connecting the camera to my mac with USB and manipulate the card while in the camera), but having browsed these pages a bit more I realize that this might be wrong(?)
« Last Edit: 23 / September / 2012, 16:04:41 by jhjonsson »

« Reply #247 on: 23 / September / 2012, 16:27:19 »
If I need a card reader to perform the tests, and use CHDK, I'll buy one. No problems.

Are there any restrictions on what kind of SD card one can use with CHDK? Will SDHC work? SD Extreme? Ultra?

Sorry if these are stupid questions. I just like to be certain.

« Reply #248 on: 23 / September / 2012, 16:49:35 »
Acid tells me the firmware is 1.00c.
Seems to be the most common variation.

However, as far as I can tell from the printouts it produces, it does not find/download anything. It makes 4 different attempts, but in each the result is just "no build found for Canon IXUS 130 100c". Seems like it can't find any builds, or am I incorrect..? Is there some other place (on the web) the beta versions can be found..?
That's because the camera is not released.  Hence the need to do some testing :)

I'm also a bit worried about how to format an SD-card the proper way. I do not own a card reader. Is a card reader a must? I do own several SD-cards of different sizes, speeds etc (the 130 IS is not my first IXUS) and if there is a way to use a particular kind of card and just have the camera format it, that would be great.
You'll need a special test build with a ps.fi2 file included for "firmware update" method booting then.  I'll see what I can find.   I'll also need a real email address to send the link to - I don't post testing version directly in this forum until they are ready.  Send me a PM (personal message) with the little "comment" Personal Message icon to the right of this post.

Added: I just remembered that I do have two card readers but they are both really old and I know they do not work with all kinds of SD cards. I was under the impression that most operations needed could be handled via USB (connecting the camera to my mac with USB and manipulate the card while in the camera), but having browsed these pages a bit more I realize that this might be wrong(?)
Unfortunately,  you can't format your card for CHDK that way.

If I need a card reader to perform the tests, and use CHDK, I'll buy one. No problems.
In the long run,  that might be best.  You'll need it for loading things like script files to the camera anyway.   There are options using USB over chdkptp.exe but they are still pretty experimental.

Are there any restrictions on what kind of SD card one can use with CHDK? Will SDHC work? SD Extreme? Ultra?
Most anything will work - some older cameras don't accept SDHC but the SD1300 is fine.  If you have a1G,2G or 4G card laying around then you are ready to go.  Faster cards will save RAW/DNG files more quickly and allow higher quality settings in video modes.  Other than that it really doesn't matter.

« Last Edit: 23 / September / 2012, 20:47:33 by waterwingz »

« Reply #249 on: 24 / September / 2012, 17:46:08 »
Thanks for your answers, waterwingz!

However, I can't find my old SD-cards (perhaps I shipped them with the old cameras?) and the two cards I use in my IXUS 130 IS don't work in the card readers I have. I will get back here as soon as I either find one of those old cards or I get time to buy a new card reader. Very annoying.