White breasted nuthatch:

Grackle:

Offline yvesson

• A540 SX10IS
    • poll about some pics (not much serious) ^^
Re: Motion detection birds shots
« Reply #41 on: 27 / June / 2009, 04:43:16 »
Hej,
Wow you got birds I will never see here... Except the woodpecker and the goldfinch, but I got the european one, which is very beautiful anyway.
Most of these pics are very good, though you seem to lack some light there (most are at 1/60), flash. At least you should use ISO 100 (not much difference with ISO 80 for noise) and a bigger aperture, though maybe F4 is the best you can get a these focal lenghs. Not sure the birds like the flash, anyway. Can't you do this in day time and when there is plenty of light available ? Or is it always too dark there, anyway ?
I put my cam only on bright sunlight to make sure most of the pics with a bird on are sharp movement-wise (the focus can also be wrong on some occasion, but I now handle that kinda well) and never used the flash because I fear it's not good for the birds, and they may not come back soon after being flashed anyway, or do they ?

And don't worry too much about pictures without birds, I got 1000's of them too, 1 very good picture out of 100 is a good enough rate for me.

« Reply #42 on: 27 / June / 2009, 08:11:10 »
Thanks for the feedback. I have to use flash even though I'm shooting in the middle of the day because the feeder is in a shaded area, with large trees all around. At first the birds flew away every time the flash went off, but soon they became accustomed to it. By the way, I am in eastern Massachusetts, near Boston. In the 9 months or so that we have been bird-watching, we have seen 32 different species out this same window!

Offline fbonomi

• A570IS SD1100/Ixus80
    • Francesco Bonomi
« Reply #43 on: 03 / August / 2009, 11:48:26 »
« Last Edit: 03 / August / 2009, 12:22:02 by fbonomi »

Offline yvesson

• A540 SX10IS
    • poll about some pics (not much serious) ^^
« Reply #44 on: 04 / August / 2009, 05:22:18 »
Hej,
Dangerous for the swallow : "who's the stupid guy who put a camera on my way ?!?".

Those are damned fast, and there is not much light between two walls. I suppose it's a very hard shot to get. But you people living in towns, try it, I won't see that in the countryside.

Offline fbonomi

• A570IS SD1100/Ixus80
    • Francesco Bonomi
« Reply #45 on: 04 / August / 2009, 05:41:24 »
Actually, I live in the countryside, and swallows make nests in my barn.
But I  leave for them a large-ish window open, I don't like the idea of putting such a small opening in their way :-)

« Reply #46 on: 18 / September / 2009, 21:57:28 »
Little Tern nest - Motion Detection - A590

« Reply #47 on: 25 / September / 2009, 15:31:13 »

Great shot. Do they protect their eggs aggressively? I've been harassed by thrashers, or I probably wouldn't have thought of that... :P

« Reply #48 on: 26 / September / 2009, 16:40:07 »

Great shot. Do they protect their eggs aggressively? I've been harassed by thrashers, or I probably wouldn't have thought of that... :P

Yes they do protect their eggs/young. We get "dive bombed " in the nesting area. 

« Reply #49 on: 29 / September / 2009, 23:03:13 »
Another of the #46 subject but using Fudgey's lightning script (mdfb A080419 I think). Camera details.......
A590 IS, full zoom, Iso 400, Manual and 1/2000 shutter. Still some blur even at that speed.