350d boot from cf card - page 3 - DSLR Hack development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

350d boot from cf card

• 510 Replies
Re: 350d boot from cf card
« Reply #20 on: 10 / October / 2009, 13:46:03 »
Advertisements
spot metering added

Press <MENU> then press AE Lock button <*>

Thank you!
How large is the spot?

« Reply #21 on: 10 / October / 2009, 16:21:28 »

and what now i need install, because there is a lot of files in topic, and when I run it i have no any effect, and when I go to firmware update it cant be updated :/

<DP> is lamp button?

Adam, I must admit that I found all this files confusing just as much as you did. I guess it is because the thread is written mostly for people who have done this kind of stuff before and know what they are doing  :P. I spend the evening trying to figure it out what goes where... repeated some of the steps again to make sure I did it all right... even tried with two different CF cards and finally it worked!  :D

I assume you already saved all this zip files, so try to go from scratch.

1. format CF card using CardTricks144 and make it bootable (you did that already)

2. when you extract bootflag-20090921.zip open bootflag-20090921 folder, inside there is a bootflag folder and inside this folder there is a file scanled.fir that maiohwmai mentioned in his first post. Copy that file on the CF card

3. insert card in camera, turn on, try to update firmware again (when I tried to do that the blue light was lite - usually it is orange - and yes DP is lamp button... but nothing seamed to be going on...) Luckily on this instruction http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/350D it said to wait few minutes and than remove the battery, which I did cause it wouldn't turn off

4. I inserted now my other card (this could have been done with the same card I guess but I was confused overall and wasn't even sure what am I doing LOL) and on that other card I had files from the folder cyrustam posted. I am guessing that it is all the same files as in maiohwmai zip files, just a file for spot metering is added. When you download and un-zipp 350d_iso3200_spot.zip open the folder and than select and copy all those files directly on the CF card

5. insert the CF card in the camera, power on... the red light and blue light should blink, meaning that now camera is booting from CF card... and that should be it.... phew... I am so glad it worked!

HUGE thanks to maiohwmai and cyrustam for those hacks!!! I know it is an old camera by my 350d still serves me very well (counter says it is over 77 000 pix now!) and since I still don't have the money to upgrade to some more expensive model this is just brilliant! Thanks again guys!  :-*
« Last Edit: 10 / October / 2009, 16:24:40 by CyberKat »

« Reply #22 on: 11 / October / 2009, 13:21:16 »
spot metering added

Press <MENU> then press AE Lock button <*>

Thank you!
How large is the spot?

shoud be less than 9%,
« Last Edit: 11 / October / 2009, 13:45:55 by cyrustam »

« Reply #23 on: 11 / October / 2009, 14:06:21 »
Can this be done with a 4GB Hitachi microdrive?

I formatted the micro drive with CardTricks144 and successfully made it bootable (I verified this in the HxD to see the EOS_DEVELOP and BOOTDISK entries for FAT 16).

I copied the scanled.fir to the card and tried to turn on the camera. Except for the shutter speed and aperture values, nothing else happened. I did not have access to the menus to update the firmware. I then removed the battery and put it back again. I then got access to the menu and I clicked on the firmware in the menu. However, I got this message: "CF card containing firmware is required to update. Cannot update. Stop"

I also tried the same after copying the files of the spot metering/iso 3200 contents with the same result.

Any help. Unfortunately the only cards I have is a 8GB Transcend CF and a 16 GB SDHC with a SD to CF adapter.

Any other tricks? I really would love to have this hack.

Adam, I must admit that I found all this files confusing just as much as you did. I guess it is because the thread is written mostly for people who have done this kind of stuff before and know what they are doing  :P. I spend the evening trying to figure it out what goes where... repeated some of the steps again to make sure I did it all right... even tried with two different CF cards and finally it worked!  :D

I assume you already saved all this zip files, so try to go from scratch.

1. format CF card using CardTricks144 and make it bootable (you did that already)

2. when you extract bootflag-20090921.zip open bootflag-20090921 folder, inside there is a bootflag folder and inside this folder there is a file scanled.fir that maiohwmai mentioned in his first post. Copy that file on the CF card

3. insert card in camera, turn on, try to update firmware again (when I tried to do that the blue light was lite - usually it is orange - and yes DP is lamp button... but nothing seamed to be going on...) Luckily on this instruction http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/350D it said to wait few minutes and than remove the battery, which I did cause it wouldn't turn off

4. I inserted now my other card (this could have been done with the same card I guess but I was confused overall and wasn't even sure what am I doing LOL) and on that other card I had files from the folder cyrustam posted. I am guessing that it is all the same files as in maiohwmai zip files, just a file for spot metering is added. When you download and un-zipp 350d_iso3200_spot.zip open the folder and than select and copy all those files directly on the CF card

5. insert the CF card in the camera, power on... the red light and blue light should blink, meaning that now camera is booting from CF card... and that should be it.... phew... I am so glad it worked!

HUGE thanks to maiohwmai and cyrustam for those hacks!!! I know it is an old camera by my 350d still serves me very well (counter says it is over 77 000 pix now!) and since I still don't have the money to upgrade to some more expensive model this is just brilliant! Thanks again guys!  :-*

« Reply #24 on: 11 / October / 2009, 16:17:40 »
@vvume
what you described happened to me too... camera saying that cannot update etc. I think two or three times I tried to update the firmware... I also tried to copy BOOTFLAG.BIN and BOOTFLAG.FIR like described... so I actually did this step like three times... (blue light on, taking battery out.. in...CF out.. in)... to be honest I am not even sure what exactly worked when it worked. Just don't give up. Have you checked what firmware your camera uses? How come your 350d doesn't use CF card???

Try again from the beginning following this instruction http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/350D, try to read this as well it might help http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_for_Dummies but I really think that more detailed explanation is missing in this thread, and on the instruction on wikia, cause a lot of people seam to get confused over all this which is a shame cause it is a great hack and since someone took the time to make it, someone should also make for other people easier to use it.

« Reply #25 on: 11 / October / 2009, 17:38:57 »
My Rebel XT does use a CF card. I use any of these cards on my Rebel XT:
1. 4GB Hitachi Microdrive
2. Transcend 8GB CF
3. 16GB SDHC SD Card using a CF Adapter.

I have often come across requirements for a <=2GB CF with FAT16 to update firmware. I was wondering if the Rebel XT also has such a restriction.

I hope one of the experts would take the further step of explaining each step in detail, particularly with regards to what response to expect from the camera after each step (how do we know firmware is updating, etc.). Here is a bunch of questions I'd like answered:

1. Do I need to remove my lens to do this (bare body only)?
2. Do I need to only use a <=2GB CF with FAT on it?
3. Are microdrives ok for this procedure?
4. Step1: Do I copy scanled.fir to a Transcend flash card as the only file and click on menu > Firmware? What should I expect the camera will do. What I get: Message "Firmware update program: CF card containing firmware is required to update." - stuck there, no response. I remove the card while the camera is on with this message after a while.
5. Step2: Make my 4GB Microdrive formatted with Windows as FAT, and made bootable by CardTricks144. Boot flags for FAT verified using HxD. Copied autoexec.bin as the only file, insert into camera that is still on with the message in Step 1, removed battery and put it back again. What I get: A very brief blip of blue LED, and then orange LED. Menus show no ISO 3200. Steps 4 & 5 should have given me ISO 3200 when I press the print button?
6. Where is the <DP> button?
7. Is this a permanent firmware change or just a technique to boot the firmware from the flash drive, i.e., the firmware is only loaded if it can find it on the flash drive being used in the camera.

@vvume
what you described happened to me too... camera saying that cannot update etc. I think two or three times I tried to update the firmware... I also tried to copy BOOTFLAG.BIN and BOOTFLAG.FIR like described... so I actually did this step like three times... (blue light on, taking battery out.. in...CF out.. in)... to be honest I am not even sure what exactly worked when it worked. Just don't give up. Have you checked what firmware your camera uses? How come your 350d doesn't use CF card???

Try again from the beginning following this instruction http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/350D, try to read this as well it might help http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_for_Dummies but I really think that more detailed explanation is missing in this thread, and on the instruction on wikia, cause a lot of people seam to get confused over all this which is a shame cause it is a great hack and since someone took the time to make it, someone should also make for other people easier to use it.

« Last Edit: 11 / October / 2009, 20:09:48 by vvume »

« Reply #26 on: 12 / October / 2009, 15:05:32 »
My Rebel XT does use a CF card. I use any of these cards on my Rebel XT:
1. 4GB Hitachi Microdrive
2. Transcend 8GB CF
3. 16GB SDHC SD Card using a CF Adapter.

I have often come across requirements for a <=2GB CF with FAT16 to update firmware. I was wondering if the Rebel XT also has such a restriction.

I hope one of the experts would take the further step of explaining each step in detail, particularly with regards to what response to expect from the camera after each step (how do we know firmware is updating, etc.). Here is a bunch of questions I'd like answered:

I also hope some of the experts would answer your questions but in the meantime I'll try to help as much as I can.

1. Do I need to remove my lens to do this (bare body only)?

No

2. Do I need to only use a <=2GB CF with FAT on it?

I am not sure about the size, I did this with 2gb card, but I think that formatig as FAT 16 or 32 depends on the size of the card.  *shrug*

3. Are microdrives ok for this procedure?

Dunno for sure, but if the camera can read data from microdrive, and write pictures on it I don't see a reason why you can't use it for this as well.

4. Step1: Do I copy scanled.fir to a Transcend flash card as the only file and click on menu > Firmware? What should I expect the camera will do. What I get: Message "Firmware update program: CF card containing firmware is required to update." - stuck there, no response. I remove the card while the camera is on with this message after a while.

Yes, you copy scanled.fir directly, but when you format the card with CardTricks144 and make it bootable, you will also have a ver.req file on the card.

5. Step2: Make my 4GB Microdrive formatted with Windows as FAT, and made bootable by CardTricks144. Boot flags for FAT verified using HxD. Copied autoexec.bin as the only file, insert into camera that is still on with the message in Step 1, removed battery and put it back again. What I get: A very brief blip of blue LED, and then orange LED. Menus show no ISO 3200. Steps 4 & 5 should have given me ISO 3200 when I press the print button?

You don't copy the autoexec.bin folder, you copy all files FROM that folder directly on the card. So when you open a card using card reader it will look like this:

Don't forget that before you copy files to that card you have to format it and make it bootable with CardTricks144.

6. Where is the <DP> button?

That is the button you use to turn on the light on the display in the dark, yes that button is also known as printer button.

7. Is this a permanent firmware change or just a technique to boot the firmware from the flash drive, i.e., the firmware is only loaded if it can find it on the flash drive being used in the camera.

When you do this you are not changing your original firmware. You are actually doing two steps:

1. enabling camera so that it can boot from the CF card
2. inserting CF card with hack for camera

When you insert a normal non-boot-able card without a hack camera will behave just like before all this, so you do not need to worry that you will change something to worse. I made myself one card with the hack when I need it, and I still use my other card for everyday shooting when I don't need these extra features.

My guess is that you already enabled your camera to boot from CF card (my camera also behaved as yours, displayed "Firmware update program: CF card containing firmware is required to update." but when I removed battery and inserted CF card - the one from the screenshot everything worked).

When you make the CF card like the one on the screenshot (format card, make it bootable and copy those files), when you insert in inside the camera follow the instructions from the third post from this thread

- press <menu> to open the main menu, then press <DP>, after beep, iso 3200 is done

To get the iso 3200 you don't click on the ISO button, you can't change it from there. You click on INFO button and than use the left, right, buttons to chose the iso... you will see in the bottom right corner how it changes... and when you click on true ISO button it will just show iso 100 even though it is set to 3200.
« Last Edit: 12 / October / 2009, 15:10:23 by CyberKat »

« Reply #27 on: 12 / October / 2009, 19:06:43 »
Thank you so much CyberKat! I finally got it working. I think I have been doing the right thing all along, but completely missed the instructions that I need to go to the info to set the ISO 3200. I was expecting to see ISO 3200 on the ISO menu. I managed to take an ISO 3200 picture and it is definitely usable. Spot metering and shutter.txt are also working!
« Last Edit: 12 / October / 2009, 21:57:29 by vvume »

« Reply #28 on: 12 / October / 2009, 22:13:41 »
Spot works very well. Great work.

« Reply #29 on: 13 / October / 2009, 20:19:15 »
It's possible to add in this hacks an ISO 6400 ?