IXUS75/SD750 1.01a | 1.00b | 1.02a - Update 09Nov2008 - Passing the Torch - page 8 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

IXUS75/SD750 1.01a | 1.00b | 1.02a - Update 09Nov2008 - Passing the Torch

• 381 Replies

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
Advertisements
@spitfire

Is your SD card by any chance larger than 2 GB ?

wim

no.it is 1GB miniSD transcend card

Maybe i must make my SD card bootable?or it is not important?

Offline whim

OK, then let's try some other options:

1. Move all files on the card to your computer (only those that you want to keep - your photo's etc.)
2. format the card in the camera (playback mode - menu button - find Format option - format )
3. retry: put PS.FIR & DISKBOOT.BIN on the card - card in cam - start in playback mode - press Menu button - goto leftmost
   menu - press up once (= the same as all the way down) --> now you should see Firmware update option

[as you might have noticed, this is basically what you already did, just described step by step - BTW  I'm not absolutely sure
  of the location of the 'Firmware update option' on the ixus 75 (I have a - very similar - ixus 70) so be sure to check all
  menu's !  I assume you're aware that some menus are higher than a screen and require scrolling ]

If it STILL does not work, try the same with another card, the 16/32 MB card that usually comes with the cam should work
well.

Also take a look at this nice user guide http://www.willylorenzo.com/chdkguide/CHDKGuideInProgress02.pdf

Another approach would be to make the card bootable with this utility:
zSHARE - cardtricks127.exe
this should not be necessary (although is doesn't hurt) for the firmware update method which uses PS.FIR.
It IS nessary if you want to use DISKBOOT.BIN. After making the card bootable you will need to set the card to
'write-protected' (slide the little tab away from the electric contacts of the card - I hope that that's even possible with
a mini-SD/adapter combination)

wim
« Last Edit: 09 / May / 2008, 14:23:22 by whim »

@whim thx u very much!!:)
I could not update firmware with PS.FIR.I don`t know,I tried to use 32MB card,format it in camera,but no result i have taked.
Then i downloaded cardtricks127.exe,format my 32MB card,made it bootable,move there firmware files,set protect and...my firmware was updated!
thank you;)

oh,[admin: avoid swearing please]:(
I can only boot from card with DISKBOOT.BIN,another way don`t work...but what after booting from card?I booted,switched "FIRM UPDATE" and what than?
p.s.for a long time i patched different Siemens mobiles and this firmware update associated with siemens patching.But in siemens patch stayed in phone,in phone`s firmware.CHDK firmware based on card?and if you change card or format it,you have to install CHDK from start?

Offline whim

If you got write-protect on on the card AND you start the cam in playback mode it should auto load CHDK
(blue splash screen)

wim

edit: of course, after that you don't need to do the fimware update
« Last Edit: 09 / May / 2008, 15:45:28 by whim »

strange...I dont understand...
1)I load from 32MB card
2)enter menu,switch "FIRM UPDATE"
3)cam reboot
4)I switch off cam and change 32MB card to 1GB card
5)switch on cam
6)cam the same that it was after step 1,no differences from the default firmware
what`s wrong?
added:
or I can make 1GB card bootable,turn on protect and have to use it?
if I turn off protect of change card,i have to reinstall firmware?
I`m begining understanding:)
« Last Edit: 09 / May / 2008, 16:37:12 by spitfire »

Offline whim

You should NOT need to 'unprotect' the card to take photo's

Please read first 10 or 12 pages of user guide (reply #73) for basic CHDK operations

wim

Offline TPC

• SD750 1.01a
strange...I dont understand...
1)I load from 32MB card
2)enter menu,switch "FIRM UPDATE"
3)cam reboot
4)I switch off cam and change 32MB card to 1GB card
5)switch on cam
6)cam the same that it was after step 1,no differences from the default firmware
what`s wrong?
added:
or I can make 1GB card bootable,turn on protect and have to use it?
if I turn off protect of change card,i have to reinstall firmware?
I`m begining understanding:)

CHDK is not a permanent replacement for the firmware. It is some relatively simple software that runs "on top" of the existing camera OS. Once you turn off the camera, CHDK is removed from the RAM and will not run until you load it again.

Here is how I start CHDK on my camera:

-Copy the DISKBOOT.BIN and the PS.FIR files to the card.
-Turn the camera on in PLAY mode.
-Open the menu.
-At the bottom there's a "Firmware Update..." option.
-After choosing that option, the camera reboots, and hooray, CHDK.

I have a 16GB card, I see no reason as to why your 1GB wouldn't work.

Okay, now, back to the stubs_entry file...