problems with lua on ixus185 (was Re: Ultimate Intervalometer...) - page 2 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum  

problems with lua on ixus185 (was Re: Ultimate Intervalometer...)

• 47 Replies
Re: problems with lua on ixus185 (was Re: Ultimate Intervalometer...)
« Reply #10 on: 20 / March / 2020, 03:55:21 »
Advertisements
Can you please direct me to where the 'test' directory is located? I can't seem to find it.

Just to be clear both the Ultimate and Battery saver lua files work/load - as in I can see and adjust all the settings and options. I just can't make them "run". As soon as I go back into the main screen and hit the shutter button I get the error messages.

I can load and run the countdown intervalometer no problems (works great) - but I want to put the device in the field for 6 months and to do this I need to be able to turn the screen off to save battery.

Online blackhole

• A590IS 101b
    • Planetary astrophotography
« Reply #11 on: 20 / March / 2020, 06:20:38 »
Can you please direct me to where the 'test' directory is located? I can't seem to find it.

Just to be clear both the Ultimate and Battery saver lua files work/load - as in I can see and adjust all the settings and options. I just can't make them "run". As soon as I go back into the main screen and hit the shutter button I get the error messages.

I can load and run the countdown intervalometer no problems (works great) - but I want to put the device in the field for 6 months and to do this I need to be able to turn the screen off to save battery.
The required script is in the SCRIPTS >> TEST >> LLIBTST.LUA on your SD card.

Is CHDK downloaded from the porting thread or from the autobuild server:  http://mighty-hoernsche.de/trunk/

« Reply #12 on: 20 / March / 2020, 06:29:11 »
Thanks no such directory in my SD card. Only a blank scripts folder.

« Reply #13 on: 20 / March / 2020, 06:31:28 »
From the official autobuild site

« Reply #14 on: 20 / March / 2020, 06:33:26 »
I would happily just use the countdown intervalometer if I could turn off the screen between shots. This is possible in the Eco mode. Can I run the Eco mode and a script at the same time or does the Script override other controls?

Online blackhole

• A590IS 101b
    • Planetary astrophotography
« Reply #15 on: 20 / March / 2020, 09:22:26 »
That's weird.
It looks like you do not have all the files from the distribution folder copied to your SD card.

« Reply #16 on: 20 / March / 2020, 10:41:16 »
I would happily just use the countdown intervalometer if I could turn off the screen between shots. This is possible in the Eco mode. Can I run the Eco mode and a script at the same time or does the Script override other controls?
I answered this in the other post you created.

That's weird. It looks like you do not have all the files from the distribution folder copied to your SD card.

How did you setup your SD card?  You appear to be missing critical files and folders.  While a CHDK BASIC program may run with files missing, other strange things can happen.  Not good if you plan to try and keep your camera running for weeks on end.

Just copying files to your SD card is not enough.  I'd suggest you use the STICK or CHIMP utility.  Or one of the other installation methods described here  : Prepare your SD Card

The ultimate intervalometer was specifically designed to run for weeks at a time and does many "tricks" to make that happen more or less reliably.   It has been tested many time and shown to run for months when configured correctly. More simple intervalometers will mostly not do this for you and have not been reported to run that long.  You will want a lot more than just turning off the backlight, which  does not actually save as much power as you might think.

EDIT : if you are interested in how long your battery will last, you might find this tread interesting :  Battery Intervalometer
« Last Edit: 20 / March / 2020, 10:45:25 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

« Reply #17 on: 20 / March / 2020, 21:05:59 »
Did you perhaps download the "small" zip? You should download the complete one. (edit: but using one of the tools waterwingz mentioned is the recommended method)
« Last Edit: 20 / March / 2020, 21:14:08 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #18 on: 20 / March / 2020, 23:17:38 »
Did you perhaps download the "small" zip? You should download the complete one. (edit: but using one of the tools waterwingz mentioned is the recommended method)
I may have mentioned this before, but I think it's long past time for the "small" zip to go away ....
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #19 on: 21 / March / 2020, 00:46:10 »
Thanks All - yes indeed the small zip was the culprit.  :D

Complete zip in the unstable Ixus 185 seems to have done the trick.

Much appreciated.

Now I will play around with the functionality - I have currently 50 trail cameras out in the field doing plant phenology. But the image quality on the trail camera's is rubbish. I want to swap them out with this method if I can (I can do it for under $200 a piece), but will have prototype fully worked out. I have got a dummy battery and powerpack ready to test. The IXUS 185 camera is not great, but it's still WAY better than any of the trail cameras I can find. And it's cheaper.

Cheers.
Michael

PS. 'Stick' did not work for me at all - the photo would not transfer across and/or my computer had a meltdown indicating a security issue. A simple copy and paste was what worked.
« Last Edit: 21 / March / 2020, 00:51:57 by Passiflora »