PowerShot SX230 HS - Porting Thread - page 6 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum  

PowerShot SX230 HS - Porting Thread

• 706 Replies
Re: PowerShot SX230 HS - Porting Thread
« Reply #50 on: 04 / June / 2011, 20:38:13 »
Advertisements
Thats not good news..

Does not work with my camera. It show's update error and stays black when I try to use the auto boot method. I have a US sx230 with Firmware version 1.00C.

Thanks for the test. I will have a look see if made any obvious mistakes. If not I will look for the LED address so we can step through the boot sequence

Should it work if stone17 is using firmware version v1.00c?  I would think the two versions would not be compatible.  However, I did try to boot using your diskboot.bin file on my v1.01a camera.  I also ended up with a black screen, and was not able to boot the camera.  It may have been due to an error on my end, however, so don't automatically assume that it was your mistake.  Just thought I'd let you know.  I attempted to boot following the instructions at http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK/Installing_with_Cardtricks.  I also tried the first method listed at http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ#Q._How_do_I_manually_load_CHDK_so_I_can_use_it.3F with no success.  In that instance, the camera turned on but reported the memory card as locked.  The firmware update menu did not appear.  Please tell me if you are aware of a different method that may work. 

As a side note, is a ps.fir or ps.f12 file needed for the boot for any reason? 

Thanks for looking into this, I very much doubt the 100c firmware will be compatable with the 101a.
I cant get a firmware menu to appear either.
I can provide you with a PS.FI2 file

http://www.box.net/shared/hx8vuank4b    most recent DISKBOOT
http://www.box.net/shared/d0xjmsasmv    PS.F12

also here are unencrypted version of the previous files
http://www.box.net/shared/9amryy6qa9
http://www.box.net/shared/682nb4q8b0

Offline aquilla

• sx230hs fw v1.01a
« Reply #51 on: 04 / June / 2011, 20:53:41 »
First, the good news.  Using your latest diskboot.bin file in conjunction with the ps.f12 file, I was able to get the firm update button to appear using the manual method.  Clicking that opened up a window prompting the user to update the firmware version from 1.0.1.0 to 1.1.0.0.  

However, selecting OK only caused my camera to turn off.  I had to open and re-close the battery/memory card door before the camera would turn on again.  Also, when I first inserted the card and turned the camera on using the playback button, the camera reported that the memory card was locked.  Although its not where we want it to be yet, this is definitely progress.  Nice work.  

As a side note, attempting to boot chdk with the camera unlocked yielded identical results.

Cardtricks didn't make any difference either.  I didn't really expect it to.
Good luck as you continue the porting progress.  I applaud you for your hard work and determination, taliesin.  I'll continue trying to get my camera to boot with chdk.

« Last Edit: 04 / June / 2011, 21:12:42 by aquilla »
-Aquilla

Offline aquilla

• sx230hs fw v1.01a
« Reply #52 on: 04 / June / 2011, 21:16:15 »
Without the ps.f12 file, the "firm update" option did not appear.  It must be required for the firm update to run.  Just thought I'd let everyone know so you don't have to find out for yourself. 
-Aquilla

« Reply #53 on: 04 / June / 2011, 21:18:10 »
Without the ps.f12 file, the "firm update" option did not appear.  It must be required for the firm update to run.  Just thought I'd let everyone know so you don't have to find out for yourself. 
Correct.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #54 on: 04 / June / 2011, 21:37:37 »
For people who like progress

http://www.box.net/shared/uoc0vbqakf

Offline reyalp

« Reply #55 on: 05 / June / 2011, 00:08:39 »
In fact, PS.FI2 is the entire CHDK binary, you don't need the DISKBOOT.BIN if you are loading manually. The two files are the same thing, it just has to be encoded differently depending on whether you use autoboot or manual loading.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #56 on: 05 / June / 2011, 00:20:05 »
Ok i am having problems, not sure where to go from here.

It wont boot because it fails the sanity check in main.c

if((long)&link_bss_end > ( MEMISOSTART + MEMISOSIZE))
{
    started();
    shutdown();
}

I have no idea what is going on here.

MEMISOSTART=0x18A7FC
MEMISOSIZE=0x45a62 ( from caminfo.txt)

Any suggestions?

Offline genie

« Reply #57 on: 05 / June / 2011, 01:50:59 »
Hello,

I need help.

When i load PRIMARY.BIN into IDA with ROM start address = 0xFFC00000 and size = 0x3FFFFC; everything is OK.

When i load PRIMARY.BIN into IDA with ROM start address = 0xFF000000 and size = 0x3FFFFC; i get many falts. But the ROM start address is

Started: FF000000. taken from CBDUMPER.LOG

Where is my fault?

Please help!

genie

Sorry for my bad English.I am a Bavarian and German is the only foreign language i speak.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #58 on: 05 / June / 2011, 02:22:17 »
When i load PRIMARY.BIN into IDA with ROM start address = 0xFF000000 and size = 0x3FFFFC; i get many falts. But the ROM start address is
What do you mean "faults" ? The IDC files might need to be adjusted to work correctly, but IDA shouldn't have any problem loading at that address.

The FF000000 address is correct, so you need to load there to work with disassembly. The length should be the size of the dump (less one word if it runs off the end)

Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline genie

« Reply #59 on: 05 / June / 2011, 03:06:01 »
Thank you for the quick answer.

This is what IDA tells me in the Output Window with ROM start address = 0xFF000000 and size = 0x3FFFFC

IDA is analysing the input file...
You may start to explore the input file right now.
ROM:FF000000: Can't find name (hint: use manual arg)
many, many of these lines!!
The initial autoanalysis has been finished.

And this is what IDA tells me in the Output WindowWith ROM start address = 0xFFC00000 and size = 0x3FFFFC

IDA is analysing the input file...
You may start to explore the input file right now.
The initial autoanalysis has been finished.

Why this difference? All is the same only the ROM start address has changed.

This is what i ment with faults.

genie
Sorry for my bad English.I am a Bavarian and German is the only foreign language i speak.